United Airlines looking for a customer service award...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-04-2017, 11:12 AM
RE: United Airlines looking for a customer service award...
(13-04-2017 10:52 AM)abaris Wrote:  
(13-04-2017 10:44 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  It didn't have to escalate to physical violence.

No, it didn't have to escalate. The customer was entitled to his purchase. He paid for it. They escalated it and I can't stop being amazed at people actually trying to defend any of this. You're the enemies of your own wallets and your right as a customer.

It's shady business practices from the get go.

By legal contact, no, he was not entitled to it. Given the way the airline handled the situation they deserve whatever public backlash they receive and if they go out of business as a result, I won't feel bad for them. They should treat their customers better. But they're not obligated to. As screwed up as it may seem based on the video, the only one who actually broke the law was the guy who was dragged out.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
13-04-2017, 11:15 AM
(13-04-2017 10:52 AM)abaris Wrote:  
(13-04-2017 10:44 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  It didn't have to escalate to physical violence.

No, it didn't have to escalate. The customer was entitled to his purchase. He paid for it. They escalated it and I can't stop being amazed at people actually trying to defend any of this. You're the enemies of your own wallets and your right as a customer.

Once again -- because it doesn't seem to be sinking in -- I am not defending any of it. United fucked up, and they deserve whatever happens to them because of this. I am only suggesting that the doctor, too, could have handled this better than he did. Is that such an outrageous idea?
13-04-2017, 11:19 AM
(13-04-2017 11:15 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I am only suggesting that the doctor, too, could have handled this better than he did. Is that such an outrageous idea?

Frankly yes.

I wonder what legal contract has a small print of being kicked out of a plane on whim of the company. I would have reacted the same. I probably wouldn't have had the guts to stay seated once they started dragging me out, but his position is understandable and it's outrageous to even suggest that this is a two way street.

Speaking of being complacent in the face of corporate arbitrariness.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes abaris's post
13-04-2017, 11:23 AM
(13-04-2017 11:19 AM)abaris Wrote:  
(13-04-2017 11:15 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I am only suggesting that the doctor, too, could have handled this better than he did. Is that such an outrageous idea?

Frankly yes.

I wonder what legal contract has a small print of being kicked out of a plane on whim of the company. I would have reacted the same. I probably wouldn't have had the guts to stay seated once they started dragging me out, but his position is understandable and it's outrageous to even suggest that this is a two way street.

Speaking of being complacent in the face of corporate arbitrariness.

OK, I give up. The doctor is a fucking saint who couldn't possibly have done anything at all to prevent the situation from escalating, and I'm "complacent" for suggesting otherwise. Mea culpa. Mea maxima culpa. Is that better?
13-04-2017, 11:26 AM
(13-04-2017 11:12 AM)yakherder Wrote:  As screwed up as it may seem based on the video, the only one who actually broke the law was the guy who was dragged out.

He did not break any laws.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
13-04-2017, 11:31 AM
(13-04-2017 11:26 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(13-04-2017 11:12 AM)yakherder Wrote:  As screwed up as it may seem based on the video, the only one who actually broke the law was the guy who was dragged out.

He did not break any laws.

Ethical or not, the airline has the right to remove him. When he refuses a lawful order to leave the plane, he is breaking the law.

If his intent was to go all Rosa Parks and martyr himself to make a point, then I applaud his courage and I hope UA drowns in the flood they created by their disregard for their customers. But as it stands, UA was within their rights.

'Murican Canadian
13-04-2017, 11:35 AM
(13-04-2017 11:31 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Ethical or not, the airline has the right to remove him. When he refuses a lawful order to leave the plane, he is breaking the law.

It's not a lawfull order to begin with. He was singled out by a computer to admit 4 waiting employees of the airline to take his and other's places. It's corporate whim because they obviously needed these employees elsewhere at the expense of paying customers. Probably for some other scam making them even more money.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes abaris's post
13-04-2017, 11:40 AM
(13-04-2017 11:31 AM)yakherder Wrote:  
(13-04-2017 11:26 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  He did not break any laws.

Ethical or not, the airline has the right to remove him. When he refuses a lawful order to leave the plane, he is breaking the law.

If his intent was to go all Rosa Parks and martyr himself to make a point, then I applaud his courage and I hope UA drowns in the flood they created by their disregard for their customers. But as it stands, UA was within their rights.

False. They have the right to prevent them from boarding but once they are boarded they cannot remove them and that is only for overbooked flights which this was not. They wanted to throw 4 employees with no tickets on the flight.

Quote:Under certain conditions, airlines can bar passengers from boarding - if the passenger is unruly or intoxicated or on a terrorist watch list - but United had no right to remove Dao, says aviation law expert Arthur Wolk, a Center City attorney who read the 45-page “contract of carriage.”

http://www.philly.com/philly/columnists/...gers-.html

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 4 users Like JDog554's post
13-04-2017, 11:48 AM
(13-04-2017 11:12 AM)yakherder Wrote:  
(13-04-2017 10:52 AM)abaris Wrote:  No, it didn't have to escalate. The customer was entitled to his purchase. He paid for it. They escalated it and I can't stop being amazed at people actually trying to defend any of this. You're the enemies of your own wallets and your right as a customer.

By legal contact, no, he was not entitled to it. Given the way the airline handled the situation they deserve whatever public backlash they receive and if they go out of business as a result, I won't feel bad for them. They should treat their customers better. But they're not obligated to. As screwed up as it may seem based on the video, the only one who actually broke the law was the guy who was dragged out.

Several lawyers disagree with this. Had he not been boarded and seated then yes but once that happened the contract states a list of reasons a paying customer can be deseated. We forgot we needed 4 seats for employees is not on that list.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 6 users Like Revenant77x's post
13-04-2017, 11:50 AM
(13-04-2017 11:40 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(13-04-2017 11:31 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Ethical or not, the airline has the right to remove him. When he refuses a lawful order to leave the plane, he is breaking the law.

False. They have the right to prevent them from boarding but once they are boarded they cannot remove them and that is only for overbooked flights which this was not. They wanted to throw 4 employees with no tickets on the flight.

Quote:Under certain conditions, airlines can bar passengers from boarding - if the passenger is unruly or intoxicated or on a terrorist watch list - but United had no right to remove Dao, says aviation law expert Arthur Wolk, a Center City attorney who read the 45-page “contract of carriage.”

http://www.philly.com/philly/columnists/...gers-.html

There is no clause stating when it can be defined as overbooking. Even if after boarding they then decide to spontaneously add 4 employees, thereby reducing the number of available seats, from that point forward they are by definition overbooked.

If you want to interpret it differently, be my guest. The wording is probably prone to loose interpretation by design.

'Murican Canadian