United Airlines looking for a customer service award...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-04-2017, 03:52 PM
RE: United Airlines looking for a customer service award...
(13-04-2017 02:25 PM)morondog Wrote:  Ironically the thing that will cost them the least (or would if they could pull their corporate heads out of their recta) would be to issue an immediate and heartfelt apology, treat the guy like a fucking king, grovel abjectly and assure their paying customers that such a thing will not happen again. All that shit of being neutral and not admitting guilt will sure, save them money in terms of paying out this one person, but the negative press means that *worldwide* anyone who ever takes a flight in the US will think twice about booking with them. And the public is not quick to forget either.

I would be worried about pre-admitting liability to a shit of lawsuits which only came because I opened my piehole. But it's way too late for that. The lawsuits are coming anyway. So the question is whether groveling or keeping my big fat mouth shut is the better choice. Somewhere in between. They gotta walk a fine line I think. I saw Sean Spicer groveling for the last couple of days and felt it viscerally. I could tell the guy was truly sincere and it sickened me. Hey meathead, you're supposed to be sincere all the time, you're the fucking press secretary. So the only thing that accomplisehed is now I know what Spicer looks like when he's being sincere. Which means I also know that he normally ain't sincere. I don't think he intended that takeaway. So yeah, the asshole in charge is gonna have to tread even lighter 'cause he's already showed us he's an asshole. Going weepy Spicer could turn out the same. The problem with insincerity is that you can only maintain it as long as nobody knows what you look like when you're sincere.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
13-04-2017, 04:32 PM
I don't believe the man suffered a concussion or lost any teeth.
13-04-2017, 04:39 PM
United Airlines looking for a customer service award...
(13-04-2017 04:32 PM)ImFred Wrote:  I don't believe the man suffered a concussion or lost any teeth.

Dr. Fred?
[+] 6 users Like KUSA's post
13-04-2017, 04:42 PM
(13-04-2017 04:32 PM)ImFred Wrote:  I don't believe the man suffered a concussion or lost any teeth.

Well it happened whether you believe it or not.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
13-04-2017, 04:52 PM
(12-04-2017 09:14 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Just to be clear, their overbooking policy doesn't even apply here because they didn't overbook the flight. They simply just wanted to send some of their employees somewhere. So they actively kicked paying customers off their flight so that they could last minute send their employees somewhere instead of just putting their employees on another flight (maybe by a different airline).

It is illegal because they have to give preference to paying customers who reserved their seats. They can't defend themselves with the overbooking policy.
You may have a point, and perhaps the displaced Doctor's lawyer can get a court to agree.

OTOH, if they can't invoke the overbooking policy, there are plenty of other clauses in their Contract of Carriage that they can fall back on as a defense:

* Rule 5 grants them the essentially unconditional right to cancel any passenger's reservation at any time.

* Rule 21 invokes Force Majeure and reserves to them the right to "refuse transport" to anyone for a variety of specified reasons " including, but not limited to,..." etc. That's a pretty broad power.

* Rule 28 very broadly limits their liability.

I am not a lawyer, but I do work with contracts frequently, and this one looks pretty tight.

Quote:To put it bluntly, they sold someone something and wanted taksies backsies but they're not aloud taksies backsies in this situation. They done fucked up and I hope they get the fuck sued and have to pay this man a shit ton of money.
I agree with the sentiment 100%.

The question of legality, is another matter entirely.

But I think the real issue, as far as United is concerned, is publicity. They would be foolish to fight any suit brought against them over this matter. They best they can hope for is to negotiate the most painless out-of-court settlement possible, and drop the matter as quickly as possible.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
13-04-2017, 05:18 PM
(12-04-2017 09:48 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  While there is no question that this practice doesn't get administered in the least inconveniencing way, why in and of itself do you find it objectionable?
Because, as others have noted, it's a selling of something that the seller doesn't have to sell.

If I buy a car, and when I go to the dealership to pick it up, the dealer says "sorry, but we also sold that car to two other guys, and one of them wants it today. but don't worry, we'll get you another one..." -- that dealer will go to jail.

Quote: Without it ticket prices would be higher.
Ticket prices would be higher if they didn't charge you separately for checked baggage. They would be higher if the fed you for free on the flight. Those things used to be included in the ticket price, once upon a time.

So?

Quote:The airliner's operating costs are minimally affected by how many seats are filled because the direct ops costs are small against the overall costs of maintenance, insurance, leasing, taxes, maintaining a bank of airworthy spare aircraft and parts and everything else wholly unaffected by seat occupancy. Hence filling every seat makes consistent profitability achievable with competitive ticket pricing.
OK, so I pay $325 for a seat, six months in advance. On the day of the flight, I find out that they also sold my seat for $400 to some other guy, two weeks before the flight. So I get bumped, and they have to reimburse me $650.

Instead of making $325 on the seat they make $400, but they have to spend $650 to do it. To me that looks like a net loss of $250 for the airline.

And the guy who paid $400 might change his mind at the last minute, and if they call me back I could tell them to go fuck themselves. Assuming I was still hanging around the gate. In which case the seat is still empty.

Quote:Overbooking keeps the seats as fully paid as possible. Of course it imposes inconvenience, but when administered properly that's all it imposes, inconvenience generally fully compensated financially. And it is not kept secret - that overbooking is done is only a surprise to the exceptionally naive.
Or, they could have a system whereby if you no-show, and the door to the plane closes, you forfeit what you paid for the ticket, and the seat flies empty. Problem solved. In case of extenuating circumstances, they could have an appeals process in place, and a nominal charge -- say 10-50% of the ticket price -- the way a lot of stores charge a "restocking fee" if you return previously purchased merchandise.

Quote:Are you saying you'd prefer personally to pay, say, 10% more for your airline tickets if overbooking were prohibited? Does the chance you'd be inconvenienced (and compensated for it) bother you to that degree?
For the security of knowing that a seat I had reserved months in advance was actually going to be there when I needed it? You betcha.

They can't compensate me enough if a delay causes me to miss an important family event -- or even lose my job -- when I planned the trip well in advance.

--
Dr H

[+] 5 users Like Dr H's post
13-04-2017, 05:23 PM
(12-04-2017 10:16 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  Your purchase is already honored by the vendor. It isn't sold to you without clearly letting you know that overbooking carries a chance you won't get to fly at the time you specified (and you'll be compensated if that happens).
The Contract of Carriage is not printed in full on the backs of tickets, it is merely referred to. If you want to read the full document, you actually have to ask for it, or go find it for yourself.

How many people do you think do that?

I'm guessing about as many as fully read the EULA before they install a new piece of software on their computer.

--
Dr H

13-04-2017, 05:38 PM

Neither did Evel.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
13-04-2017, 05:47 PM

Reminds me of a discussion on AF when someone didn't stop arguing that a police baton accidentally entered someone's anus and it wasn't intent.

Yes, being dragged out and manhandled certainly isn't risky for the recepient. The doctor pulled his teeth afterwards by running against a wall, which also accounts for the concussion. All to put the blame on security. Or are you seriously arguing for him not having lost any teeth, since that most certainly has been checked.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
13-04-2017, 05:47 PM
(13-04-2017 05:58 AM)ImFred Wrote:  I appreciate that. I know I've alienated people because the imagery doesn't pull at my heart strings. It's the way my brain works I guess. One death is a tragedy a million is a statistic. It's a normal human thing that maybe I don't have much of. I've been called a troll, an asshole, told I deserved to be beaten, my alcoholism was brought into it, and I'm accused of lacking empathy (and in this case I do). If I'm ostracized oh well. I know who I am. I mentioned giving to Doctors Without Borders to point out it pains me how much suffering is in the world. Believe me or don't believe me or accuse me of dick wagging or whatever but after I first read the numbers of people who starved in North Korea's famine I cried everyday for about 3 months. It's normal to feel empathy when you see an individual being treated poorly but my brain doesn't usually work like that. I'm not sentimental that way.

Seeing that CEO on TV surprises me. I do know he's full of shit but it goes to show how the public reaction to a story where a man wasn't even seriously hurt can have a big impact. It's hard for me to relate but that doesn't make me a bad person. I think I am wired differently.
I feel bad for the Doc; I don't like to see anyone brutalized by the police, especially not at the behest of a corporation. But the inevitability of the situation struck me as well. It turns out he's been living in the US for over 41 years. In all that time how could one not learn that if you argue with cops you're likely to get hurt -- no matter how right you might be?

And yes, there plenty of worse tragedies around to be concerned about. For the second time in four years a bunch of civilians were gassed in Syria. In my state a man was just arraigned for beating his girlfriend's 3-year old son to death. Besides North Korea, we have simultaneously impending famines in four African countries. In California a murder/suicide in front of a special education class took place just days ago, and also took out an 8-year old bystander. We have nutbags driving cars through crowds of people. And we have a president with the apparent emotional maturity of a 9-year old holding the keys to the nuclear arsenal.

One guy getting non-fatally dragged off a plane does kind of tend to pale, next to all that.

--
Dr H

[+] 3 users Like Dr H's post