United Airlines looking for a customer service award...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-04-2017, 05:49 PM
RE: United Airlines looking for a customer service award...
(13-04-2017 08:09 AM)Dom Wrote:  No wrong is right because there are worse wrongs. That is not the way it works.

True. But there is also a practical strategy known as "pick your battles".

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-04-2017, 05:53 PM
(13-04-2017 09:04 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Trump agrees.

You know, there’s a point at which I’m getting off the plane—seriously,” Trump said. “They should have gone up higher. But to just randomly say, ‘You’re getting off the plane,’ that was terrible.”

I wonder how much they'd have had to offer Trump, to get him off the plane?

--
Dr H

[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
13-04-2017, 05:54 PM
(13-04-2017 05:47 PM)Dr H Wrote:  And yes, there plenty of worse tragedies around to be concerned about. For the second time in four years a bunch of civilians were gassed in Syria. In my state a man was just arraigned for beating his girlfriend's 3-year old son to death. Besides North Korea, we have simultaneously impending famines in four African countries. In California a murder/suicide in front of a special education class took place just days ago, and also took out an 8-year old bystander. We have nutbags driving cars through crowds of people. And we have a president with the apparent emotional maturity of a 9-year old holding the keys to the nuclear arsenal.

One guy getting non-fatally dragged off a plane does kind of tend to pale, next to all that.

Again, just because there are bigger wrongs doesn't mean that wrongs with less impact are not wrong.

If I buy a ticket, they let me board, I have my spouse with me and I have an appointment I need to keep, I will consider it my right to remain on the plane. I will refuse to get off.

I would not expect to be beaten bloody. That is just ridiculous.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
13-04-2017, 05:57 PM
(13-04-2017 10:43 AM)abaris Wrote:  So it's all right then. He asked for it. Should I ever open a business I have to take that into consideration. Doesn't matter what you bought, my henchman will drag you out if you put up a show over not getting the service.

Happens in bars, every day.

--
Dr H

13-04-2017, 05:58 PM
Along the way United was looking for 'volunteers'.

Let's not forget that when they didn't get enough paid volunteers they just decided to throw someone off the damn plane.

They should have just started out with an announcement that the people who had paid for tickets should volunteer or else be prepared for whatever consequences came their way.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
13-04-2017, 06:02 PM
(13-04-2017 05:58 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Along the way United was looking for 'volunteers'.

Let's not forget that when they didn't get enough paid volunteers they just decided to throw someone off the damn plane.

They should have just started out with an announcement that the people who had paid for tickets should volunteer or else be prepared for whatever consequences came their way.

Yep. Take the money and run or we'll beat you into submission.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
13-04-2017, 06:05 PM
(13-04-2017 05:49 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(13-04-2017 08:09 AM)Dom Wrote:  No wrong is right because there are worse wrongs. That is not the way it works.

True. But there is also a practical strategy known as "pick your battles".

Planes are not bars (although in the 70s you might have gotten confused about that). No one should expect to be beaten because they need to keep the flight they paid for and after they were approved to board.

What the fuck have we come to? This is just nuts!

[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
13-04-2017, 06:05 PM
(13-04-2017 05:54 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(13-04-2017 05:47 PM)Dr H Wrote:  And yes, there plenty of worse tragedies around to be concerned about. For the second time in four years a bunch of civilians were gassed in Syria. In my state a man was just arraigned for beating his girlfriend's 3-year old son to death. Besides North Korea, we have simultaneously impending famines in four African countries. In California a murder/suicide in front of a special education class took place just days ago, and also took out an 8-year old bystander. We have nutbags driving cars through crowds of people. And we have a president with the apparent emotional maturity of a 9-year old holding the keys to the nuclear arsenal.

One guy getting non-fatally dragged off a plane does kind of tend to pale, next to all that.

Again, just because there are bigger wrongs doesn't mean that wrongs with less impact are not wrong.

If I buy a ticket, they let me board, I have my spouse with me and I have an appointment I need to keep, I will consider it my right to remain on the plane. I will refuse to get off.

I would not expect to be beaten bloody. That is just ridiculous.

No, Dom, you don't get it. Some people only get a certain (minuscule) amount of empathy to last them a whole lifetime. They can't go around wasting it willy-nilly on jerks who refuse to take their beating at the hands of the police demi-gods like any good, grovelling civilian piece of scum must do at all times

Funny thing is, when people start blabbering on about starving kids and Africa and what have you, I'm willing to bet my last real they don't give a fuck about those, either, they just think it makes them sound so noble and virtuous and saintly. Give me a break.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
13-04-2017, 06:08 PM
(13-04-2017 11:19 AM)abaris Wrote:  Frankly yes.
Frankly, no.

His resistance was justified, yes.

But there are times when resistance is effective, and times when it is counterproductive. This was an example of the latter.

Suppose the cops-for-hire had really gone over the top and roughed him up to the point where he was crippled for the rest of his life, or even killed? It happens.
No doubt his next of kin would eventually get a handsome settlement; fat lot of good it would have done him.

--
Dr H

[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
13-04-2017, 06:11 PM
(13-04-2017 11:26 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  He did not break any laws.

It could be argued -- and if this goes to court United's lawyers probably will argue -- that once he was ordered to leave the plane and refused, from that point on he was trespassing.

--
Dr H