United Airlines looking for a customer service award...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-04-2017, 08:13 PM
RE: United Airlines looking for a customer service award...
(13-04-2017 08:02 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(13-04-2017 07:45 PM)Dr H Wrote:  I would be fascinated to see you argue in court, before a judge, that a passenger on a commercial airplane must be given 30-days written notice before the airline can legitimately dislodge them from their seat. Yes

It'll go exactly the same as your private property argument. Tongue

Maybe. But you never know: judges are strange creatures. Wink

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-04-2017, 08:15 PM
Automated international drone taxis are going to put the airlines out of business soon anyway.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
13-04-2017, 08:20 PM
(13-04-2017 07:45 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(13-04-2017 07:13 PM)Dom Wrote:  Really? The guy rented the space for the duration of the flight.

Apply rental law and he can sit there for much longer than that before he can get evicted.

I would be fascinated to see you argue in court, before a judge, that a passenger on a commercial airplane must be given 30-days written notice before the airline can legitimately dislodge them from their seat. Yes

If you are going to give an analogy, the renter one is more applicable than the private property one. The plane was manufactured for only one thing, renting seats.

I expect the old man was in violation of some technicality but when he was physically abused and hurt that technicality doesn't matter much anymore.

If this goes to court, there is no jury that won't side with him. They fucked him up and dragged him like an animal off the plane.
[+] 5 users Like KUSA's post
13-04-2017, 08:21 PM
(13-04-2017 08:15 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Automated international drone taxis are going to put the airlines out of business soon anyway.

He's right you know. Yes

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
13-04-2017, 08:23 PM
(13-04-2017 08:20 PM)KUSA Wrote:  If this goes to court, there is no jury that won't side with him. They fucked him up and dragged him like an animal off the plane.

How long is it going to take assholes to realize that there are cameras everywhere now and we're all watching each other in public all the time. That was rhetorical.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
13-04-2017, 08:27 PM
(13-04-2017 08:07 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(13-04-2017 07:16 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Trespassing is knowingly entering someone's property without permission. He entered the plane with permission.

From Oregon Revised Statutes (emphasis added):

"2015 ORS 164.255

Criminal trespass in the first degree
(1) A person commits the crime of criminal trespass in the first degree if the person:
(a) Enters or remains unlawfully in a dwelling;
(b) Having been denied future entry to a building pursuant to a merchant’s
notice of trespass, reenters the building during hours when the building is
open to the public with the intent to commit theft therein;
© Enters or remains unlawfully upon railroad yards, tracks, bridges or
rights of way; or
(d) Enters or remains unlawfully in or upon premises that have been
determined to be not fit for use under ORS 453.855

2015 ORS 164.245

Criminal trespass in the second degree
(1) A person commits the crime of criminal trespass in the second degree if the
person enters or remains unlawfully in a motor vehicle or in or upon
premises
(2) Criminal trespass in the second degree is a Class C misdemeanor. "

The wording varies slightly across jurisdictions, but the gist is the same. And of course it doesn't mention airplanes specifically, although a lawyer could probably argue that one of United's airplanes constitutes a part of United's "premises". There is also something called "involuntary trespass" recognized in many jurisdictions, which in effect means that it is possible to trespass even without being aware of it -- there are, however, often penalties involved, regardless.

Think about it: if someone comes into your home, even by invitation, if you later ask them to leave and they refuse, does that mean they're your new roommate forever?

Well, no. Yes

At that point, they become a trespasser, by remaining on your property against your wishes. They are remaining there illegally by virtue of the fact that it is not their property, but yours, and they remain there legitimately only at your sufferance.

You really want the victim to be a bad guy don't you?

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 3 users Like JDog554's post
13-04-2017, 08:29 PM
(13-04-2017 08:20 PM)KUSA Wrote:  
(13-04-2017 07:45 PM)Dr H Wrote:  I would be fascinated to see you argue in court, before a judge, that a passenger on a commercial airplane must be given 30-days written notice before the airline can legitimately dislodge them from their seat. Yes

If you are going to give an analogy, the renter one is more applicable than the private property one. The plane was manufactured for only one thing, renting seats.

I expect the old man was in violation of some technicality but when he was physically abused and hurt that technicality doesn't matter much anymore.

If this goes to court, there is no jury that won't side with him. They fucked him up and dragged him like an animal off the plane.

You might be surprised what a jury that has been sequestered since before it happened decides when presented only with relevant facts in a controlled manner. I'm not saying they won't side with him, only that assuming a video that had a certain effect on the general population will have the same effect in a courtroom has cost more than a few lawyers what they'd considered to be a slam dunk case.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
13-04-2017, 08:40 PM
(13-04-2017 08:29 PM)yakherder Wrote:  You might be surprised what a jury that has been sequestered since before it happened decides when presented only with relevant facts in a controlled manner. I'm not saying they won't side with him, only that assuming a video that had a certain effect on the general population will have the same effect in a courtroom has cost more than a few lawyers what they'd considered to be a slam dunk case.

I will be shocked if this whole thing doesn't side with the old man regardless if it goes to court or gets settled out of. Something is wrong if the airline wins. Some laws will need to be changed to side with basic human rights.
[+] 4 users Like KUSA's post
13-04-2017, 09:45 PM
Legal technicalities really don't matter. UA have been weighed and found wanting in the court of public opinion. If they fight the case and win it's even worse for them. They need damage control fast.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
13-04-2017, 09:50 PM
Airline Deregulation Fail

Less competition due to deregulation has created an oligopoly, don’t like our service or our prices? Drive yourself.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce