United Airlines looking for a customer service award...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2017, 07:43 AM
RE: United Airlines looking for a customer service award...
(14-04-2017 07:38 PM)Dr H Wrote:  I also think the he could have been a considerably less battered victim, had he applied a little more of his native intelligence to the situation when the cops appeared.

It's not about doing the intelligent thing, IMO, the *right* thing was exactly what he did. Tell them to get stuffed. Sure you might get hurt, but you also don't have to take shit from dickheads. Three cheers for Dr Dao, and fuck UA and their thuggish business practices.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
16-04-2017, 04:09 AM
(15-04-2017 07:43 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(14-04-2017 07:38 PM)Dr H Wrote:  I also think the he could have been a considerably less battered victim, had he applied a little more of his native intelligence to the situation when the cops appeared.

It's not about doing the intelligent thing, IMO, the *right* thing was exactly what he did. Tell them to get stuffed. Sure you might get hurt, but you also don't have to take shit from dickheads. Three cheers for Dr Dao, and fuck UA and their thuggish business practices.

I do not understand how anyone could possibly defend the police or UA, this whole thing is wrong on so many levels.
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
17-04-2017, 07:26 AM
(16-04-2017 04:09 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(15-04-2017 07:43 AM)morondog Wrote:  It's not about doing the intelligent thing, IMO, the *right* thing was exactly what he did. Tell them to get stuffed. Sure you might get hurt, but you also don't have to take shit from dickheads. Three cheers for Dr Dao, and fuck UA and their thuggish business practices.

I do not understand how anyone could possibly defend the police or UA, this whole thing is wrong on so many levels.

Not picking on you, Adey, but I haven't seen a single post in this thread where anyone has defended the police or UA (with the possible exception of I'mFred, and even that's questionable). There seems to be unanimous agreement that their actions were outrageous and indefensible. What several of us have said is that the doctor could have acted differently and not been physically battered. Those of us (mainly yakherder, Dr. H, and I) who have taken that stance have explicitly stated that we are not defending the actions of UA or the police. I am becoming exasperated by the repeated accusations that we are doing so.
17-04-2017, 07:55 AM
(17-04-2017 07:26 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(16-04-2017 04:09 AM)adey67 Wrote:  I do not understand how anyone could possibly defend the police or UA, this whole thing is wrong on so many levels.

Not picking on you, Adey, but I haven't seen a single post in this thread where anyone has defended the police or UA (with the possible exception of I'mFred, and even that's questionable). There seems to be unanimous agreement that their actions were outrageous and indefensible. What several of us have said is that the doctor could have acted differently and not been physically battered. Those of us (mainly yakherder, Dr. H, and I) who have taken that stance have explicitly stated that we are not defending the actions of UA or the police. I am becoming exasperated by the repeated accusations that we are doing so.

No problem Grasshopper obviously a misunderstanding / interpretation of the situation on my part, certainly the Dr didn't help his cause by kicking off. I cannot watch the video because my only internet is mobile so large data streams are prohibitively expensive so cannot comment on how roughly the doc was handled just going by what folks have said here it did sound kind of excessive. Thanks for making your position clear. Smile
18-04-2017, 12:47 PM
(10-04-2017 05:31 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 05:18 PM)ImFred Wrote:  I did read the story. Fair or unfair if they tell you to get off a plane and then the police show up it ain't gonna be long until you're off the plane one way or another. I'm actually shocked that anyone is shocked. Where I grew up when the police told you to do something you got one chance to comply.

Whether the passenger was right or not to stand (sit) his ground may be debatable. It might have been smarter for him to comply and deal with it legally afterwards but that does not make it right for
[a] United to order a seated passenger to get off the plane
[b] United to persist when the passenger is obviously upset
[c] United to call in police rather than finding another passenger or making alternate arrangements for their staff travel
[d] Police to use force against a passenger who was not causing any sort of disturbance and who was a legitimate passenger in his assigned seat

The situation could have been handled SO much better by both United and the police that any tendency to think he should have complied is utterly swamped by how badly the whole situation was mismanaged. The police should have told United that they would not force him off and United should never have let it get anywhere near that point anyway.

Question: why was that passenger picked in the first place? [Image: AHth27K.gif?zoom=2] Somethings fishy there.

Today is the best day of my life and tomorrow will be even better.
Robert himself
18-04-2017, 12:51 PM
(18-04-2017 12:47 PM)Ro3bert Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 05:31 PM)unfogged Wrote:  Whether the passenger was right or not to stand (sit) his ground may be debatable. It might have been smarter for him to comply and deal with it legally afterwards but that does not make it right for
[c] United to call in police rather than finding another passenger or making alternate arrangements for their staff travel
[d] Police to use force against a passenger who was not causing any sort of disturbance and who was a legitimate passenger in his assigned seat

The situation could have been handled SO much better by both United and the police that any tendency to think he should have complied is utterly swamped by how badly the whole situation was mismanaged. The police should have told United that they would not force him off and United should never have let it get anywhere near that point anyway.

Question: why was that passenger picked in the first place? [Image: AHth27K.gif?zoom=2] Somethings fishy there.

It was a randomized pick on a computer based off different factors.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
18-04-2017, 12:51 PM
(18-04-2017 12:47 PM)Ro3bert Wrote:  Question: why was that passenger picked in the first place? [Image: AHth27K.gif?zoom=2] Somethings fishy there.

Computer lottery according to reports. Noone wanted to leave, so they let a computer decide. In this case, everything's fishy, but certainly not the racial aspect. Unless they programmed their rig to specifically single out minorities.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
18-04-2017, 12:53 PM
(18-04-2017 12:47 PM)Ro3bert Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 05:31 PM)unfogged Wrote:  Whether the passenger was right or not to stand (sit) his ground may be debatable. It might have been smarter for him to comply and deal with it legally afterwards but that does not make it right for

I don't see why that's fishy, unless you're prone to conspiracy theories ("He was picked because he's Chinese!"). Given that they needed to free up one more seat, they had to pick somebody, and you could ask the same question about any particular passenger -- why that passenger? Well, why not that passenger? It had to be someone -- why not him? Unless I had evidence to the contrary, I would assume that they used a computer to pick someone at random, and his name is the one that came up.
18-04-2017, 01:12 PM
Do we have anything more that UA's word that that was how he was picked? Because right now if they told me the sky was blue I'd get an independent panel of experts to check.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
18-04-2017, 01:25 PM
(10-04-2017 06:06 PM)Anjele Wrote:  This is the kind of shit that has kept me off planes for the last several years.

I remember as a kid flying halfway across the country to visit grandparents. It was an event! People dressed up to fly. You were served an actual meal and given snacks and drinks even on short flights. Stewardesses and pilots were dressed in fancy, pressed uniforms. As a kid I got certificates for flying and little wing pins to commemorate the trip.

Going on a plane trip was an event!

Now it's a royal pain in the ass that can leave you sitting on a tarmac for hours so that airlines can count the flight as leaving on time and you have to pay for a little pack of six pretzels and a four ounce bottle of water. You pay to take luggage with you and you risk being patted down after passing the body scan and wanding or yanked from the plane and injured in the process.

Going somewhere...yeah, for me it will be a car trip.

Until enough people get tired of having their knees shoved up against their chests, no food or drink at all and when the airlines do away with the overhead bins (and they will to reduce costs so nothing can be carried on ) (see the above post) the airlines will move the seats even closer together and narrower everything will remain the same. The air quality will not get any better, it's bad enough as it is. And TV on the back of the seats? What a way to compensate for the discomfort; distract the "customer", make it a bonus to flying. Get fucking lost.

Bigger planes carrying more people won't relieve the problem, the fares will remain the same or increase to compensate for the increased cost of the planes and the leaving time and arrival times will not get better, and more luggage will be "misplaced". Trains won't be the answer because they will start doing the same things the airlines are doing. As will ships for travel to other countries.

I love to fly except it is so stressful and uncomfortable. Once they put four to five seats next to each other how in hell can one get any exercise or get to the lavatories which could also become "obsolete" (in the interest of lowering equipment costs).

I'm full of shit here? Just wait and watch, all the airlines are interested in is filthy lucre. Unfortunately re-regulation isn't an option unless we want to get rid of the airlines altogether.

Finished ranting (I guess). [Image: hIwcqRX.gif?zoom=2]

Today is the best day of my life and tomorrow will be even better.
Robert himself