United Airlines looking for a customer service award...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2017, 10:00 AM
RE: United Airlines looking for a customer service award...
I think the outrage is legitimate and this is totally a PR disaster for United.

For years now, the airline industry has tried to remain competitive by slashing prices, but at the same time nickel and dimeing passengers with charges for nearly everything. They want to charge for checked baggage, so everyone starts bringing carryon bags, then they want to charge for overhead space. They want to force consumers to accept whatever terms they dictate, since in most cases you are flying for a reason.

So, it is rather outrageous when an airline, in this case United, takes this extreme measure to remove an already seated passenger from a flight, who's only problem is that he needed to get to his destination and refused to give up his seat. If the guy was suspected of being a terrorist, we wouldn't be having this discussion at all or the discussion would be different.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
11-04-2017, 10:21 AM
(11-04-2017 10:00 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I think the outrage is legitimate and this is totally a PR disaster for United.

It's the ultimate equivalent of corporations taking a shit on the consumers head. The apologies coming from the airline are piss poor also. Nothing about the passenger being forcibly removed, only about the inconvenience for other passengers.

Well, knowing corporate speech and PR departments in general, I'm well aware why they stick with that nonsense. They're already lawyering up for a probable lawsuit. Apologizing to the passenger would be akin to admitting guilt, hence ammunition for the future opposition in court.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like abaris's post
11-04-2017, 10:30 AM
(11-04-2017 03:19 AM)ImFred Wrote:  I can think of three times I got thrown out of bars by bouncers and they were at shows with cover charges. If it was in the cell phone age and the entire clip was just me getting dragged to the door and thrown (all three times) down some steps onto concrete it might garner sympathy. Why did they need to use such force? Gasp But if you saw the whole thing you would know I didn't take advantage of the opportunity to go the easy way. The point where the filming starts strongly dictates emotion.

The difference is the guy on the airplane was simply wanting what he'd already bought but which the airline hadn't delivered.

You, on the other hand, had already gotten what you'd paid for and had squandered that with your behavior.

Sometimes you just gotta know when to stop, Fred.
[+] 6 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
11-04-2017, 11:00 AM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2017 01:29 PM by Thumpalumpacus.)
"Fight or flight" takes on a new shade of meaning.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
11-04-2017, 11:17 AM

Funny thing about the contract you sign when you buy a plane ticket, and one that may cost United a lot of money, they can prevent you from boarding but no where does it say you can be deseated. It does say that employees can lose their seats on full flights. Very interesting.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 6 users Like Revenant77x's post
11-04-2017, 11:19 AM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2017 11:25 AM by GirlyMan.)
(11-04-2017 11:17 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
Funny thing about the contract you sign when you buy a plane ticket, and one that may cost United a lot of money, they can prevent you from boarding but no where does it say you can be deseated. It does say that employees can lose their seats on full flights. Very interesting.

I read that the passengers were booted to make room for United employees. That's not gonna look good in court.

[Image: reaccomodate_zpsksxalkgp.png]

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
11-04-2017, 11:27 AM
The memes have begun.

[Image: C9GZR3nUIAAvW7b.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
11-04-2017, 11:30 AM
The way it was handled was unprofessional and obviously a massive public relations failure, and there is much they could have and should have done differently, namely (as mentioned) anticipate the issue and solve it prior to boarding. But it was not outside the bounds of law. They have the right to cancel your reservation and, if they do, and boarding has taken place, and you refuse to get off, they are within their rights to have you forcibly removed.

And, though they handled the situation extremely poorly, legally justified or not, singling them out for overbooking in general is irrational. There isn't a major airline worldwide that doesn't do it.

'Murican Canadian
11-04-2017, 11:44 AM
(11-04-2017 11:30 AM)yakherder Wrote:  But it was not outside the bounds of law. They have the right to cancel your reservation and, if they do, and boarding has taken place, and you refuse to get off, they are within their rights to have you forcibly removed.

Are security officers for Chicago Department of Aviation consider police? Don't really matter. Any criminal wrongdoing is in the noise anyway compared to the $1 billion United just lost in market cap and no telling how much more to come. Better put aside a bunch of millions for the Chinese guy whos' gonna to be your major stakeholder soon too.

#sigh
11-04-2017, 11:49 AM
(11-04-2017 11:30 AM)yakherder Wrote:  The way it was handled was unprofessional and obviously a massive public relations failure, and there is much they could have and should have done differently, namely (as mentioned) anticipate the issue and solve it prior to boarding. But it was not outside the bounds of law. They have the right to cancel your reservation and, if they do, and boarding has taken place, and you refuse to get off, they are within their rights to have you forcibly removed.

I completely agree that they mishandled it (whether they were within their legal rights or not). Once they have assigned a seat and allowed you to board then it isn't right for them to just change their mind and throw you off. They knew the flight was overbooked so they should not have assigned seats or they should have sucked it up and made other arrangements for their staff to get where they needed to go.

Quote:And, though they handled the situation extremely poorly, legally justified or not, singling them out for overbooking in general is irrational. There isn't a major airline worldwide that doesn't do it.

That doesn't make it a good practice. I'd really like to see something them not be able to sell tickets without making seat assignments and have to overbook by selling "stand by" tickets. It seems reasonable to me to believe that once I've paid for a ticket and been assigned a seat I should not have to worry about the airline arbitrarily changing the terms of the agreement; at least not for something as stupid as poor planning on their end about getting staff where they are needed.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP