Universal Consciousness
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-06-2011, 03:27 PM
Universal Consciousness
I was interested in this post by “Snuff” because my own view is actually very similar to this.

Although I am an atheist, I am not really a materialist in the sense that I think the concept “matter” can be assigned assured and independent ontological reality.

Because of this, I think there is a much underconsidered “third option” (although of course it has been considered often enough, and in varieties, by philosophers in the past). I mean, in the general view. In this view, consciousness (or some immediate precursor state of consciousness) is irreducible in existence, and existence always expresses through it.

Although materialism essentially posits that consciousness is “produced”, uniquely, in each conscious organism, I question this and pose instead that consciousness (the property of a subjective frame of reference we can call it) is singular, and is in essence the same everywhere, even though it requires a unique “wrapper” in every instance, in order to express.

I am a neutral monist; in other words, I don’t accept that such a thing as “mind” or such a thing as “matter” independently exist. I would like to suggest the following two properties in addition to what I have stated above.

1) Consciousness is “monadic”. What I mean by this, is that in any frame of reference in which consciousness is present, it is (and always can ONLY be) the only consciousness active.
2) One version of this principle must ALWAYS be active, because it is an irreducible feature of reality.

Thus when I die, and somewhat along the lines snuff was saying, what I think is going to happen to me is this (one of two things). First, I might unravel back to irreducible consciousness. I imagine, if this is so, that “I” will not be there any more, indeed that anything we could think of as a “mind” would not be there anymore. The second thing is that consciousness would find itself coming into expression again, by necessity, in another “wrapper”, ie another life. As snuff stated it, this would not be “reincarnation” because only the bare principle of consciousness expressing is required, in this scheme, to reappear, not any particular wrapper.

I thus think we console ourselves a little too readily with the idea that “all the lights are going to go out” at death. We in fact cannot conclude any such thing if we pretend certainty, and in addition, there are qualities to the above which I don’t find attractive but which I am unable to deny as possibility nonetheless. These include what “wrapper” consciousness might next awaken in. There is no guarantee that it would be anything like me. It might not even be human, but a stick insect or a worm.
Quote this message in a reply
25-06-2011, 07:33 PM
RE: Universal Consciousness
This is a long held view of mine. I'm actually in basic agreement with you, though I often feel that consciousness is not completely monadic. I think that there is the ability for occasional linking. Just a personal opinion on the matter. I pull my view of consciousness into my views as an animist, but an atheistic animist is weird anyway =p

Thanks for the description it was very well done.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply