Universal human behaviors

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2012, 11:17 PM
RE: Universal human behaviors
Evolution is another aspect to consider. At some point, we were just getting our eyes and mouths and some soon-to-be human made a "ahahahaha" sound that others started mimicking. Some being on earth was the first to cry. Amoebas and tetrapods can't get angry, or jealous, or happy. So emotions and the corresponding behavioral reactions coincide with brain development. Personally, I hope we devolve back to the point of emotional ignorance. But then again... I AM high right now.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-05-2012, 12:26 AM
(17-05-2012 11:17 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Evolution is another aspect to consider. At some point, we were just getting our eyes and mouths and some soon-to-be human made a "ahahahaha" sound that others started mimicking. Some being on earth was the first to cry. Amoebas and tetrapods can't get angry, or jealous, or happy. So emotions and the corresponding behavioral reactions coincide with brain development. Personally, I hope we devolve back to the point of emotional ignorance. But then again... I AM high right now.
Yep, I'll have what he's having Thumbsup

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
18-05-2012, 11:43 AM (This post was last modified: 20-05-2012 07:11 PM by ghostexorcist.)
(17-05-2012 03:59 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  So my take home from that article is that all humans have the ASPM gene, and at least two forms are present in humans. Although it is linked to brain development noone has been able to devise a test that identifies differences that these two variants produce in resulting cognitive ability. Either there is some advantage that it is bestowing and that is driving selection towards it but that advantage is not yet understood, or we are simply looking at a case of genetic drift between different populations of a gene difference that does not have significant positive or negative selection pressure associated with it.

Am I reading it right?

Even primates have the gene. It is connected to the growth of neural matter in the cerebral cortex. Humans with the defective gene are born with smaller brains (Microcephaly). ASPM doesn't make someone smarter, but it does coincide with the area of the brain that deals with reading. Those with damage to that area of the brain find it harder to read than those with no damage. Therefore, Frost suggests that the gene gave advantage over others when a new version of it activated about 6,000 years ago. This is the second part of his blog on the subject:

http://evoandproud.blogspot.com/2008/09/...rt-ii.html

I am no expert in genetics, but I am thinking about writing Frost to see if any further research has been done on the subject.

(17-05-2012 11:17 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Evolution is another aspect to consider. At some point, we were just getting our eyes and mouths and some soon-to-be human made a "ahahahaha" sound that others started mimicking. Some being on earth was the first to cry. Amoebas and tetrapods can't get angry, or jealous, or happy. So emotions and the corresponding behavioral reactions coincide with brain development. Personally, I hope we devolve back to the point of emotional ignorance. But then again... I AM high right now.

I agree that it is connected to evolution. That's what I was talking about when I mentioned ingrained traits earlier. Apes are known to laugh when playing jokes or wrestling. They are especially vulnerable to laughing when tickled on the ribs. Much of our behavioral breadth probably came from our ape-like ancestors.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-09-2012, 08:14 PM
(18-05-2012 11:43 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Even primates have the gene. It is connected to the growth of neural matter in the cerebral cortex. Humans with the defective gene are born with smaller brains (Microcephaly). ASPM doesn't make someone smarter, but it does coincide with the area of the brain that deals with reading. Those with damage to that area of the brain find it harder to read than those with no damage. Therefore, Frost suggests that the gene gave advantage over others when a new version of it activated about 6,000 years ago. This is the second part of his blog on the subject:

http://evoandproud.blogspot.com/2008/09/...rt-ii.html

I am no expert in genetics, but I am thinking about writing Frost to see if any further research has been done on the subject.

The ASPM gene has been found in the brains of Dolphins, too.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/notroc...Science%29

Quote:...Shixia Xu from Nanjing Normal University has found that a gene called ASPM played an important role in the evolution of cetacean brains. The gene shows clear signatures of adaptive change at two points in history, when the brains of some cetaceans ballooned in size. But ASPM has also been linked to the evolution of bigger brains in another branch of the mammal family tree – ours. It went through similar bursts of accelerated evolution in the great apes, and especially in our own ancestors after they split away from chimpanzees.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-09-2012, 08:31 PM
I loved the part in my psychology classes when they showed pictures of primates (the "animals" not "humans") and humans when expressing different emotions, and the quick little "tics" that they do to show their real feelings--because they all looked the same. Plus they involved those that were blind from birth and such--as they too would have the same facial expressions. I could see some of them (and imagine others as some were online), just sitting there with a "wow that's so nea....wait a minute...." expression when it hit them.