Universal laws & a fictional god

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-09-2016, 04:44 PM
Universal laws & a fictional god
Some people attribute certain gods with certain abilities or powers. Now the question is, why are they able to do that ?

They can do that because the laws of physics allow it.
The universe is very stable, therefore you can give fictional gods all kinds of powers.

Any attribute given to a god is only possible because the universe is so stable and predictable.

Your god knows a lot of stuff ? He or she knows everything ?

Well that can only happen in a universe that is set and determined to unfold in only one way. It doesn't bounce around unpredictably.

Your god is super strong ? That's great !!
The universe has gravity.

Your god can transmute matter & energy to make whatever he wants ? Fantastic !!

The universe has plenty of that.

My point is that any god only has attributes allowed by the universe they supposedly inhabit.

The universe sets the laws.
Any god that we create will only have attributes that can be manifested within the universe.

And in closing, this means, a god cannot create a universe. Creating (transmuting matter or energy) can only happen within a universe.

In my humble opinion.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Rahn127's post
06-09-2016, 05:27 PM
RE: Universal laws & a fictional god
Well said as with most things theists have things in reverse Smile

[Image: giphy.gif]
06-09-2016, 07:33 PM
You are using sound logic and it does remind me of the classic question "If only God can create the universe because something had to, than what created God?" Also the question of this all powerful God existing outside the universe before he created it, well reality only exists within our universe, where was he before all that? Another universe?

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes SitaSky's post
07-09-2016, 05:15 AM
God is just a super primate, it has all of the properties of a primate, but bigger and better.

A human doesn't know everything- but super primate is omniscient!

A human cannot do whatever it wants- but super primate is omnipotent!

A human can only be in one place at a time - but super primate is omnipresent!

Humans do all kinds of harmful things to one another- but super primate does those things and then they are called good, so super primate is omnibenevolent!

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
07-09-2016, 05:38 AM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2016 05:43 AM by Gloucester.)
TheInquisition wrote:
Quote:A human can only be in one place at a time - but super primate is omnipresent!
So is Santa on Xmas eve, either that or he has an inertialess transport system and the edge on Einstein!

Just as believable...

I actually struggle to unpick your post, Rahn. Bit too philosophical for me I fear.

Later: third reading, getting the idea. But why should any imaginary entity be bound by the laws of physics in any way? Unless there are, and there possibly are, undiscovered laws of physics.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
07-09-2016, 12:16 PM
Christians attribute their god with both omniscience and omnipotence.

Both "powers" are unequivocally disproved every day of every year.

Their god "guided" man in building the Chernobyl nuclear facility, but then allowed his own, ultimately flawed design to kill or maim thousands of innocent people and their children, and contaminate their hometowns for decades.

Their god sees hurricane Katrina approaching the Gulf coast, but "chooses" not to deflect it, and lets 1800 people die. He must've been having a good chuckle that day.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
07-09-2016, 01:26 PM
One could almost consider the firm of drums where, having created the world and man and given him "reason", the deity buggers off and leaves man to fuck it all up by himself.

Thus, no detectable current evidence of the old sod! Just his negligence.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
07-09-2016, 03:35 PM
(07-09-2016 05:38 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  TheInquisition wrote:
Quote:A human can only be in one place at a time - but super primate is omnipresent!
So is Santa on Xmas eve, either that or he has an inertialess transport system and the edge on Einstein!

Just as believable...

I actually struggle to unpick your post, Rahn. Bit too philosophical for me I fear.

Later: third reading, getting the idea. But why should any imaginary entity be bound by the laws of physics in any way? Unless there are, and there possibly are, undiscovered laws of physics.

An imaginary entity is truly only bound by our imagination, but I would also say our imagination is fairly regulated by what we can conceive of. Our universe and all its wonderful eccentricities gives us a lot to work with, but in the end, it's really hard to conceptualize actions or abilities that don't fall into 3 dimensions and utilize energy in the way we understand it.

It's one of the reasons why theists are able to say the phrase "outside of our universe". Our concept of everything within the universe has an inside and an outside. Theists imagine the universe as a thing and things have limits you can go beyond, thus it has an "outside" in their minds.

Our universe gives us concepts and the gods we create are in our image of those concepts.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
07-09-2016, 04:05 PM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2016 04:15 PM by GirlyMan.)
(06-09-2016 04:44 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  The universe sets the laws.

I think we set the laws for the universe. But I've smoked a lot of grass and Oh Lord!, I popped a lot of pills.

#sigh