Universal laws and mystery schools - debunked?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-11-2016, 08:48 AM
Universal laws and mystery schools - debunked?
I'm not an atheist at present - tbh I wish I was. Please don't ridicule me - I was raised in fundamentalist Christianity and successfully indoctrinated myself as a young adult to the point of an actual breakdown when I tried to find mercy in the doctrine of eternal hell. I didn't find it, I did find what I took at the time to be evidence for reincarnation, esoteric as well as exoteric teachings in all religions and became interested in ascended masters, mystery schools, law of attraction, power of the subconscious mind, anyway trying to cut a long story short but not doing very well at it

In thinking I was embracing my newfound freedom from religion I was considering joining a Rosicrucian order then trying to see what it's all about came across astrology, kaballah terrified myself, dabbled around with tarot etc and I'm now pretty confused and frightened again with yet more beliefs

Is it all debunked? Is there any scientific evidence for the universal laws taught in mystery schools eg - law of cause and effect, law of polarity, law of vibration, law of gender etc - there seems to be various descriptions all over the net of these "natural laws" and quite frankly I'm so confused

I suppose I want to discover that as well as beyond fortune telling the occult is probably all bogus - so where's my evidence? Help
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Helpmeouttherabbithole's post
19-11-2016, 09:06 AM
RE: Universal laws and mystery schools - debunked?
(19-11-2016 08:48 AM)Helpmeouttherabbithole Wrote:  I suppose I want to discover that as well as beyond fortune telling the occult is probably all bogus - so where's my evidence? Help

You don't need evidence that it isn't true; they need evidence that it is. The fact that somebody offers an explanation for something does not mean that that explanation is correct. The time to believe something is when there is actual evidence that supports it, not just because you can't disprove it. That can be a hard mindset to get into for many people.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 5 users Like unfogged's post
19-11-2016, 09:07 AM
Basically the difference between a religion and a mystery school is the agency responsible for brainwashing. With religion, it's them; with mystery school, it's you.

There's far to much whack out there for a simple, comprehensive debunking. I used to want to be fluffy - I was gonna join the Temple of Set - but after extensive research the answer I discovered was no. It's all hokum bollockum.

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like houseofcantor's post
19-11-2016, 09:28 AM
(19-11-2016 09:06 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(19-11-2016 08:48 AM)Helpmeouttherabbithole Wrote:  I suppose I want to discover that as well as beyond fortune telling the occult is probably all bogus - so where's my evidence? Help

You don't need evidence that it isn't true; they need evidence that it is. The fact that somebody offers an explanation for something does not mean that that explanation is correct. The time to believe something is when there is actual evidence that supports it, not just because you can't disprove it. That can be a hard mindset to get into for many people.

Yes, it's incredibly hard for me - Iv already found myself stuck down the rabbit hole of belief and I know I'm "conditioned" to be pretty gullible and easily believe things. But presumably with the claims of these various orders that they had scientists - Newton, Einstein etc at one time part of their orders and their claims they still have scientists although they don't tell you who - science would have either confirmed these claims of universal laws, or dismissed them?
19-11-2016, 09:29 AM
It's pretty simple.

If something requires "belief" -- odds are really good it's a steaming pile of bovine excrement.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
19-11-2016, 09:33 AM
(19-11-2016 09:07 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Basically the difference between a religion and a mystery school is the agency responsible for brainwashing. With religion, it's them; with mystery school, it's you.

There's far to much whack out there for a simple, comprehensive debunking. I used to want to be fluffy - I was gonna join the Temple of Set - but after extensive research the answer I discovered was no. It's all hokum bollockum.

Can you explain how you brainwash yourself? Do you hypnotise yourself remotely? I looked into claims by someone that they were remotely hypnotised by mail order with one of these orders but tbh it seemed more like the guy thought they were goin to make him rich and they didn't
19-11-2016, 09:36 AM
(19-11-2016 09:29 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  It's pretty simple.

If something requires "belief" -- odds are really good it's a steaming pile of bovine excrement.

Except they claim it requires no belief, isn't a religion, can all be proved scientifically yadda yadda - and I'm just lost, confused and frightened trying to find out if any of that "no belief required, it's proven scientifically" stuff is true
19-11-2016, 09:36 AM
Developing a nose for bullshit isn't too difficult, if they start talking about universal this or that, and then pretend to have the answers, they're full of it.

Here's a helpful BS flag- if they like to use verbs as nouns to sound profound, Here's a quote from Deepak Chopra:

In the midst of movement and chaos, keep stillness inside of you.

Such a statement is treating the word stillness as a thing that you can control, it's a ridiculous statement, what if you state something with more clarity and less woo?

Don't panic.

Chopra just uses more words to express a very simplistic concept, but it provides the illusion that it's profound.

The illusion of substance is at the core of most BS.Thumbsup

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 4 users Like TheInquisition's post
19-11-2016, 09:42 AM
(19-11-2016 09:36 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Developing a nose for bullshit isn't too difficult, if they start talking about universal this or that, and then pretend to have the answers, they're full of it.

Here's a helpful BS flag- if they like to use verbs as nouns to sound profound, Here's a quote from Deepak Chopra:

In the midst of movement and chaos, keep stillness inside of you.

Such a statement is treating the word stillness as a thing that you can control, it's a ridiculous statement, what if you state something with more clarity and less woo?

Don't panic.

Chopra just uses more words to express a very simplistic concept, but it provides the illusion that it's profound.

The illusion of substance is at the core of most BS.Thumbsup

Yes I am struggling with these notions of the metaphysical atm, quantum physics - it all sounded so interesting, now I want to know if science actually agrees with any of the stuff being promoted as spiritual science
19-11-2016, 09:56 AM
Hi Welcome Smile

People can make up all kinds of things and come up with ridiculous ideas and ways to support their beliefs and claims. For example, look at the cult of Heaven's Gate. There were many educated people within that cult and yet they believed anyway. Why? Conditioning and brainwashing. There are videos on youtube of the actual cult prior to mass suicide--you can actually see the progression of brainwashing in cult members clothing, mannerisms, facial expressions, responses.

So what to do to not get sucked into crazy and dangerous ways of thinking? Always follow the evidence, it will never steer you wrong. Always use logic. When I was first leaving religion, I would ask myself which scenario makes more logical sense and which is based on evidence. This will help realign your thinking and take things out of the magic realm.

Also educate yourself on where religions come from (especially yours). Starter Books: Read Bart Ehrman's The Bible: A Historic and Literary Introduction and The New Testament: A Historical Introduction (also by Ehrman) and Undeniable by Bill Nye.

There are tons of religions out there (many way older than Christianity). Use the Outsider Test for Faith by John Loftus. If I told you there were tree spirits that lived in the trees and as such, you need to knock on wood so they can hear you and protect you from harm--would you believe me? Why not? Why is it okay to dismiss this belief as crazy but not the belief that Jesus could cure people with dirt and spit and a magical genie aka God lives in the clouds, granting wishes?

*Belief in tree spirits/knocking on wood was an actual Pagan belief, btw, and is why we "knock on wood" in our culture today.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post