Poll: There are no established office hours, and no other means to contact your professor for assitance in a university course after one month. Do you find this,
Completely Acceptable
Acceptable
No Opinion
Unacceptable
Completely Unacceptable
[Show Results]

University Class Office Hours

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
18-09-2012, 03:08 PM
RE: University Class Office Hours
A lot of it depends on what is going on. A month is not really that far in, that is just about the time 1st tests begin to roll in. You should keep in mind that email is the easiest way for professors to communicate. Research, other classes, graduate students, emails from other students, grants, etc, etc. These things can eat up a lot of time and result in many professors establishing office hours "by appointment only." That doesn't keep students from coming, but it makes it flexible so that the professor can work more freely in different locations. I have an advisor at the PhD level who is split between 2 departments and has an office in each, my masters advisor lives almost an hour drive from the university and works from home 2 days a week.

I think a lot of students have this idea that professors should be in there offices waiting for them to ask questions when not teaching, bollocks.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-09-2012, 03:14 PM
I asked for an appointment once, and was merely told office hours had not yet been established.
18-09-2012, 04:57 PM
(18-09-2012 02:38 PM)Diablo Wrote:  This isn't some english course, where you may never go visit the professor or TA. This is an engineering course, and we have been knee deep in problems from day one.

Do You have a student rep? or student services?, someone you could raise this with?

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
18-09-2012, 09:25 PM
(18-09-2012 01:26 PM)frankiej Wrote:  Uni is a bit of a joke anyway when it comes to shit like this. They are never as organised as they should be considering how much a course costs.

Universities problem is that nobody who lectures there is there to lecture.
Professors and stuff are there primarily for research and such, the lecturing to a lot of them (in saying this, there are good professors who enjoy the lecture side of it) is just something they have to do by law (universities here anyway if they wish to keep government funding require lectures and courses to be available).

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
19-09-2012, 12:07 AM
(18-09-2012 03:08 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  A lot of it depends on what is going on. A month is not really that far in, that is just about the time 1st tests begin to roll in. You should keep in mind that email is the easiest way for professors to communicate. Research, other classes, graduate students, emails from other students, grants, etc, etc. These things can eat up a lot of time and result in many professors establishing office hours "by appointment only." That doesn't keep students from coming, but it makes it flexible so that the professor can work more freely in different locations. I have an advisor at the PhD level who is split between 2 departments and has an office in each, my masters advisor lives almost an hour drive from the university and works from home 2 days a week.

I think a lot of students have this idea that professors should be in there offices waiting for them to ask questions when not teaching, bollocks.

Be that as it may, either a prof or a TA should be available to help out students - not necessarily 24/7 but I'm against this idea that all you need to communicate is email. Face to face is often a lot quicker and simpler for both.
19-09-2012, 07:53 AM
(19-09-2012 12:07 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(18-09-2012 03:08 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  A lot of it depends on what is going on. A month is not really that far in, that is just about the time 1st tests begin to roll in. You should keep in mind that email is the easiest way for professors to communicate. Research, other classes, graduate students, emails from other students, grants, etc, etc. These things can eat up a lot of time and result in many professors establishing office hours "by appointment only." That doesn't keep students from coming, but it makes it flexible so that the professor can work more freely in different locations. I have an advisor at the PhD level who is split between 2 departments and has an office in each, my masters advisor lives almost an hour drive from the university and works from home 2 days a week.

Be that as it may, either a prof or a TA should be available to help out students - not necessarily 24/7 but I'm against this idea that all you need to communicate is email. Face to face is often a lot quicker and simpler for both.

Agreed, my point is that there isn't enough info for me to say the professor is in the wrong.

Size of the class matters too. 350 students? Appointment only may be the only viable way to guarantee students any face-time.

Try communicating with the professor before or after lecture. Go up and put a face to the name. Introduce yourself and say "My name is Diablo and I emailed you a while back to schedule a meeting to go over issue X or subject Y. Is there a good time to meet?"

You would be surprised how easy emails get lost in the throng of useless listserv emails that accompany the multitude of student emails. I get emails from students and fully intend to reply, and then I completely forget.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
19-09-2012, 06:35 PM
Given that you mean that no matter what you do, there is no way to contact anyone in relation to the class for any questions--it'd be completely unacceptable. Possibly still so even if you had a phone/e-mail, and didn't get a reply within a week (or nothing brought up in the next class a few days later addressing it). Or I may say "unacceptable" for those, but say "completely unacceptable" if questions during class are also not addressed, and the professor arrives right at the start (or doesn't allow questions before class) and leaves immediately after (or doesn't allow questions after). But even then, professors can't expect students to be free before and after the class (I know I used to have classes back-to-back--one was done, I had to make it about a half mile away for the next one within 15 minutes).

Now if it's "by appointment only" that's acceptable or completely acceptable (if appointments can be made and met).