Unofficial Poll: Climate Change

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-03-2015, 06:27 PM
Unofficial Poll: Climate Change
So, I had a thought and wanted to gather a sample size to try to confirm and deny my opinion.

Since Atheists do not believe in a higher power or heaven. Don't they then have a prerogative to focus on this life, the only one we have. Making them sensitive to environmental concerns mass logging, pollution, green energy, and, the one that is the most important, Climate Change. See, it even got capital letters.

So, do Atheists as an overwhelming majority believe in man made climate change, and that it is harmful to life on earth.

I'm really curious to hear every ones thoughts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-03-2015, 06:34 PM
RE: Unofficial Poll: Climate Change
I have no idea what stance any other atheist has, other than their lack of belief in gods.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
14-03-2015, 06:38 PM (This post was last modified: 14-03-2015 06:47 PM by DLJ.)
Welcome to TTA.

You have definitely come to the right place because we can confidently speak for all atheists.

Just kidding, I have no idea what everyone thinks about this.

But it's safe to say that a good number of atheists use an evidence-based epistemology rather than a faith-based epistemology. A good number will also be skeptics by habit... so it's likely that they will have come to their opinion based on the data that's available.

Smile

[+] 7 users Like DLJ's post
14-03-2015, 07:48 PM
Welcome to TTA
To respond to your question I would say yes I accept that human-caused climate change is real due to the overwhelming amount of evidence for it and that if we don't do anything to change future generations are going to have to deal with the consequences.

But that is just what I think. I don't read the mind of all atheists in the world.
14-03-2015, 08:11 PM
Welcome.

You will find that with a group of atheists there is seldom one mind on anything other than the disbelief in a god or gods.

We don't follow a script...you will find that answers to most questions will have innumerable answers.

Funny that your post sort or reads as though being a believer gives a person the right to trash this earth...since it's only temporary till something better comes along...for eternity.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
14-03-2015, 08:12 PM
Helo! Big Grin

(14-03-2015 06:27 PM)Rubberduckiee Wrote:  So, I had a thought and wanted to gather a sample size to try to confirm and deny my opinion.

Okay, though I admit you're going about your task in a round about seeming fashion. Would not an interweb search be more productive?

(14-03-2015 06:27 PM)Rubberduckiee Wrote:  Since Atheists do not believe in a higher power or heaven.

Generally, yes, this is so. Though others might simply say they don't see any/enough information/evidence about deities/heavens to know etc.

(14-03-2015 06:27 PM)Rubberduckiee Wrote:  Don't they then have a prerogative to focus on this life, the only one we have.

Well... people have to live their lives, yes. Though really, one can say that about pretty much every one, theist or non-theist.

(14-03-2015 06:27 PM)Rubberduckiee Wrote:  Making them sensitive to environmental concerns mass logging, pollution, green energy, and, the one that is the most important, Climate Change. ...

Not necissearaly, no.

(14-03-2015 06:27 PM)Rubberduckiee Wrote:  ...See, it even got capital letters.

Consider

(14-03-2015 06:27 PM)Rubberduckiee Wrote:  So, do Atheists as an overwhelming majority believe in man made climate change, and that it is harmful to life on earth.

As a previous poster replied.

(14-03-2015 06:38 PM)DLJ Wrote:  But it's safe to say that a good number of atheists use an evidence-based epistemology rather than a faith-based epistemology. A good number will also be skeptics by habit... so it's likely that they will have come to their opinion based on the data that's available.

Smile

(14-03-2015 06:27 PM)Rubberduckiee Wrote:  I'm really curious to hear every ones thoughts.

My thoughts are that those who's works/life/etc is to study such subjects are generally in a good position to give good feedback/information on that which they are studying etc.

So.. the science would seem to agree/point to anthropic climate deviations.

Much cheers to all.
14-03-2015, 11:05 PM
Climate change will probably be the end of humanity.

Truth seeker.
14-03-2015, 11:11 PM
Necissearaly? Really, Pee? Come on, man!!

I believe Climate Change has been accelerated by humans because I believe in science, and scientists agree on this fact as well.

But atheists as a whole? I don't know every atheist. It's not a club connected by our brain stems in the Mindfields of the Matrix.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
14-03-2015, 11:19 PM
(14-03-2015 11:05 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  Climate change will probably be the end of humanity.

Dude, you're bummin' me out.

14-03-2015, 11:44 PM
(14-03-2015 11:11 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Necessarily? Really, Pee? Come on, man!!

Blush

I really do trust the scientists who're the studied experts in their field?

(14-03-2015 11:11 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  I believe Climate Change has been accelerated by humans because I believe in science, and scientists agree on this fact as well.

Thumbsup

(14-03-2015 11:11 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  But atheists as a whole? I don't know every atheist. It's not a club connected by our brain stems in the Mind-fields of the Matrix.

I actually do know some one who, while a very skeptical non-theist, disagreed with the whole Anthropomorphic climate change information etc. Blush

Much cheers to all.