Unreasonsble

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-07-2015, 02:59 PM
Unreasonsble
My friend just asked "What's the harm in believing in a God if it doesn't affect my judgment negatively? I don't care if it's true, because it has the potential to do good and it comforts me."

..... I hate that.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-07-2015, 03:02 PM
RE: Unreasonsble
The harm???

Promoting a club, whose membership has been primarily responsible for the enslavement of blacks, the subjugation of women, the persecution of homosexuals and the burning of witches??????

Gee -- I guess it's fine -- as long as it make YOU feel good......

Brainless fucking twits..................

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 6 users Like onlinebiker's post
12-07-2015, 03:02 PM
I usually point out kids believe in Santa. Sure it doesn't do harm (generally), but they all outgrow it.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-07-2015, 03:04 PM
It justifies and gives strength in numbers types of nonsensical political and aggressive power to those who share the same belief but with negative judgement

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
12-07-2015, 03:06 PM
I don't think anyone who ever believed in god thought it effected them negatively at the time.
[+] 4 users Like pablo's post
12-07-2015, 03:07 PM
Utilitarianism. A slippery slope.
The fact is it does affect judgments. Saying it doesn't is someone in denial.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
12-07-2015, 03:21 PM
Unreasonsble
In particular - Christians believe in the Apocalypse, or the end of the world. And - because it's important to them that they not be wrong - some of them are working towards making the world actually end. Others are just irresponsible and think that it doesn't matter how bad they mess things up because God will fix it and forgive them. That causes them to be irresponsible for their behavior and dangerous to society.

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 5 users Like Tonechaser77's post
12-07-2015, 03:23 PM
It seems to me that if you say 'I don't care if it's true' that you really can't say you believe. You are just playing the game. If you believe in something, you believe it's true.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
12-07-2015, 03:35 PM
I will never understand this, I am afraid. Dog knows I have tried.

'I don't care if it's true, I believe it anyway."

How is that even possible? Doesn't believing it automatically imply that you think it's true? Can you simultaneously believe something and think that it is not true?

Also, those who say they continue to believe because it's the safe choice baffle me.

Can one really choose to believe something? Really? I know I can't. Thankfully I don't want to, either.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
12-07-2015, 04:55 PM
That's a huuuuge "IF" ...

I'd have asked your buddy, "If it doesn't affect your judgement, tell me how you feel about being a bipedal ape?" or "...how you feel about living in a world that's significantly older than 6000 years?"

If he's the non-fundamentalist, non-literalist type, ask him why most of the Christians quoting the Bible never quote the parts about slavery, or owning women as property (who could be raped as long as you pay their owner/father for the damaged goods), or if he thinks women should be "silent" in church and not "instruct a man" in doctrine.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post