Unreasonsble

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-07-2015, 05:25 PM
RE: Unreasonsble
Hey is just refering to the idea of a god in the terms of it being a supreme being.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-07-2015, 07:53 PM
If *he* really thinks his god is stupid enough to NOT get that there is an ulterior motive, the he has a pretty dumb deity.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
12-07-2015, 08:07 PM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2015 08:39 PM by Reltzik.)
(12-07-2015 02:59 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  My friend just asked "What's the harm in believing in a God if it doesn't affect my judgment negatively? I don't care if it's true, because it has the potential to do good and it comforts me."

..... I hate that.

To judge by all the people who have earnestly used the belief to do things like prop up the rights of monarchs and aristocrats, perpetuate slavery and segregation, go to war with other nations, kill people, abuse children, deny the rights of women and other religions, on and on... and all of those people apparently thinking that they WERE doing good... it's safe to draw three conclusions.

1: It CAN affect judgement negatively. (Worse, it can do so while making you think it's not doing so AND that habit of bad judgement can creep into other aspects of your life.)
2: It can cause you to do harm while making you think you're doing good.
3: Your comfort is valuable, but it is not so valuable as that.

I would add to this:

4: The good and comfort that comes from believing, can be derived by other means even in non-belief. But the harm that can come from believing is difficult to reproduce without belief.
[+] 3 users Like Reltzik's post
13-07-2015, 12:36 AM
One reason why Xianity is dangerous is the desire by many to bring about armageddon. Indeed there is an entire movement working toward it. A good place to check on things such as this is this page here.

Christianity represents a clear and present danger to our future. Just as Islam does.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
16-07-2015, 05:56 AM
(12-07-2015 03:02 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The harm???

Promoting a club, whose membership has been primarily responsible for the enslavement of blacks, the subjugation of women, the persecution of homosexuals and the burning of witches??????

Gee -- I guess it's fine -- as long as it make YOU feel good......

Brainless fucking twits..................

How does belief in god itself promote anything other than ones own belief?

“What you believe to be true will control you, whether it’s true or not.”

—Jeremy LaBorde
16-07-2015, 06:33 AM
(16-07-2015 05:56 AM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  
(12-07-2015 03:02 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The harm???

Promoting a club, whose membership has been primarily responsible for the enslavement of blacks, the subjugation of women, the persecution of homosexuals and the burning of witches??????

Gee -- I guess it's fine -- as long as it make YOU feel good......

Brainless fucking twits..................

How does belief in god itself promote anything other than ones own belief?

What color is the sky on your planet? Consider

Believing what is not true is a cognitive defect.

People who believe join together with others who believe. That's called religion.

Religions become self-protecting, self-promoting organizations that damage people.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-07-2015, 06:38 AM
(16-07-2015 06:33 AM)Chas Wrote:  What color is the sky on your planet? Consider

People who believe join together with others who believe. That's called religion.

Religions become self-protecting, self-promoting organizations that damage people.

But I believe in god and I don't go to church, nor do I promote any sort of religion. At all.

“What you believe to be true will control you, whether it’s true or not.”

—Jeremy LaBorde
16-07-2015, 07:00 AM
(16-07-2015 06:38 AM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  
(16-07-2015 06:33 AM)Chas Wrote:  What color is the sky on your planet? Consider

But I believe in god and I don't go to church, nor do I promote any sort of religion. At all.

Others do. You are not the center of creation.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-07-2015, 07:06 AM
(16-07-2015 06:38 AM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  But I believe in god and I don't go to church, nor do I promote any sort of religion. At all.

I've known people who say they believe but lead apparently completely secular lives. While I think the belief probably does have some minimal effect on their actions (including voting), it doesn't really make a meaningful difference. If all theists were like that there wouldn't be much of a reaction from atheists.

The problem is that for so many people the belief in a god seriously affects the way they treat others, including the laws they work to pass to make people conform to their beliefs. People can base their actions on any belief they want but when they try to constrain others based on that belief they better have evidence to back it up.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
16-07-2015, 07:08 AM
(12-07-2015 02:59 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  My friend just asked "What's the harm in believing in a God if it doesn't affect my judgment negatively? I don't care if it's true, because it has the potential to do good and it comforts me."

..... I hate that.

And why do you hate that? I never really understood that.

I doubt your friend is the sort you're worried about one day bombing an abortion clinic. It seems the arguments here are composed of stating that his beliefs, provide shelter for those with more extreme views than his, even though he doesn't share them. Which I think is a very weak argument, and perhaps not as authentic as those raising it imagine.
[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post