Unreasonsble

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-07-2015, 07:20 AM
RE: Unreasonsble
(12-07-2015 02:59 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  My friend just asked "What's the harm in believing in a God if it doesn't affect my judgment negatively? I don't care if it's true, because it has the potential to do good and it comforts me."

..... I hate that.

You do realise that your friends statement is actually a self refuting claim? Her judgement IS being affected by the fact that she is comforted by the idea of god.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-07-2015, 07:22 AM
(16-07-2015 07:00 AM)Chas Wrote:  Others do. You are not the center of creation.

You don't seem to understand my point.

Atothetheist originally stated: "My friend just asked "What's the harm in believing in a God if it doesn't affect my judgment negatively? I don't care if it's true, because it has the potential to do good and it comforts me."..... I hate that."

Then onlinebiker commented with: "The harm??? Promoting a club, whose membership has been primarily responsible for the enslavement of blacks, the subjugation of women, the persecution of homosexuals and the burning of witches?????? Gee -- I guess it's fine -- as long as it make YOU feel good...... Brainless fucking twits.................. "

It seems like a completely unnecessary association to someone who possibly has non of those problems.
Simply believing in the existence of god is not a universal problem that affects every person the same way. Not everyone believes in the same 'type' of god. So this generalization is what I am addressing.

“What you believe to be true will control you, whether it’s true or not.”

—Jeremy LaBorde
16-07-2015, 07:24 AM
(16-07-2015 07:20 AM)BlackMason Wrote:  
(12-07-2015 02:59 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  My friend just asked "What's the harm in believing in a God if it doesn't affect my judgment negatively? I don't care if it's true, because it has the potential to do good and it comforts me."

..... I hate that.

You do realise that your friends statement is actually a self refuting claim? Her judgement IS being affected by the fact that she is comforted by the idea of god.

Except that in this quote, she stated "if it doesn't affect my judgment negatively"
Some people find benefit in believing in god. It's not always a negative thing to simply believe in the existence of god. That is a false stigma.

—Jeremy LaBorde
16-07-2015, 08:04 AM
(16-07-2015 07:24 AM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  
(16-07-2015 07:20 AM)BlackMason Wrote:  You do realise that your friends statement is actually a self refuting claim? Her judgement IS being affected by the fact that she is comforted by the idea of god.

Except that in this quote, she stated "if it doesn't affect my judgment negatively"
Some people find benefit in believing in god. It's not always a negative thing to simply believe in the existence of god. That is a false stigma.

Regardless of the apparent benefit of believing (placebo effect), belief without evidence is negative in the end as it is broken thinking.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-07-2015, 08:08 AM
(16-07-2015 08:04 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-07-2015 07:24 AM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  Except that in this quote, she stated "if it doesn't affect my judgment negatively"

Regardless of the apparent benefit of believing (placebo effect), belief without evidence is negative in the end as it is broken thinking.

I agree, belief without evidence is a negative thing. However, some people believe some evidences are convincing enough to infer their belief in the existence of god. Just like some people believe some evidences are convincing enough to infer their belief in the existence of multiple universes. There's a distinct difference between those and the ones that believe in the existence of god purely on 'faith'.

—Jeremy LaBorde
16-07-2015, 08:11 AM
Also, there isn't enough information in Atothetheists post to actually determine if that person believes in the existence of god based on evidence or not. The person did state, however, "I don't care if it's true" which could indicate that this person hasn't put much thought into this, which I believe is a negative thing indeed. However, certainly negative in a different way than onlinebiker seems to be implying.

—Jeremy LaBorde
16-07-2015, 08:20 AM
(16-07-2015 08:08 AM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  
(16-07-2015 08:04 AM)Chas Wrote:  Regardless of the apparent benefit of believing (placebo effect), belief without evidence is negative in the end as it is broken thinking.

I agree, belief without evidence is a negative thing. However, some people believe some evidences are convincing enough to infer their belief in the existence of god. Just like some people believe some evidences are convincing enough to infer their belief in the existence of multiple universes. There's a distinct difference between those and the ones that believe in the existence of god purely on 'faith'.

There is no evidence of the existence of any gods, so it is still broken thinking.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
16-07-2015, 08:20 AM
(16-07-2015 08:08 AM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  I agree, belief without evidence is a negative thing. However, some people believe some evidences are convincing enough to infer their belief in the existence of god. Just like some people believe some evidences are convincing enough to infer their belief in the existence of multiple universes. There's a distinct difference between those and the ones that believe in the existence of god purely on 'faith'.

You are not "infering belief". You are "infering god", and that, if it really is correctly "infered" with sound evidence is not "belief". There is no *evidence* for belief. Belief is the suspension of reason, (for whatever reason). There are no "proofs" for any of the deities. In fact the very notion of a deity (until coherently defined) is incoherent. There is no coherent definition of a god.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
16-07-2015, 08:22 AM
(16-07-2015 08:20 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-07-2015 08:08 AM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  I agree, belief without evidence is a negative thing. However, some people believe some evidences are convincing enough to infer their belief in the existence of god. Just like some people believe some evidences are convincing enough to infer their belief in the existence of multiple universes. There's a distinct difference between those and the ones that believe in the existence of god purely on 'faith'.

There is no evidence of the existence of any gods, so it is still broken thinking.

Then everyone that believes in multiple external universes is using broken thinking.

—Jeremy LaBorde
16-07-2015, 08:29 AM
(16-07-2015 05:56 AM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  
(12-07-2015 03:02 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The harm???

Promoting a club, whose membership has been primarily responsible for the enslavement of blacks, the subjugation of women, the persecution of homosexuals and the burning of witches??????

Gee -- I guess it's fine -- as long as it make YOU feel good......

Brainless fucking twits..................

How does belief in god itself promote anything other than ones own belief?
The OP was approached by someone who obviously believed in some god ---

The minute you start yakking on about this "god" person - you're proselytizing - trying to convince someone else that you're on to something...

However innocent you are in this - it's a promotion of religion - and religion ALWAYS turns out to be a money making, political power grabbing institution. Evil people love organized religion. It's a dandy tool for taking over the weak.

IF you believe in it - and keep it to yourself -- that's a different story.

But, that's not how the OP reads.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post