Unthinking atheists...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-09-2013, 10:00 AM
Unthinking atheists...
You know - the ones who don't believe but don't seem to have any good reason behind their non-belief. It's almost as bad as religious people believing for no good reason.

One person in particular - a guy who played a larger part in my de-conversion than he probably realizes - comes to mind. He straight up said that the Bible and all that stuff is bullshit. Fascinating bullshit, but bullshit nonetheless.

And yet... No He has also said that he thinks it's good for children to believe in God, said that they need that "eye in the sky" mentality going on. This is a man I believe to be quite intelligent, but has he not thought this through AT ALL? :sigh:

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2013, 10:26 AM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2013 06:55 AM by DLJ.)
RE: Unthinking atheists...
I'm not sure it is as bad.

Wouldn't you like to live in a world where the god-hypothesis had never been conceived?

Imagine it... a world where no one believed in any gods and didn't even think it about.

Isn't that what you want?

Smile

06-09-2013, 11:24 AM
Of course there are people who are atheists for no significant reason, considering that atheism is the default world view everyone has before beliefs are added in.

You might as well be complaining that there are people who don't believe Santa or the Tooth Fairy exist for no good enough reason, just because it never occurred to them.

(Although secretly I suspect that the Tooth Fairy is more likely to exist than god Big Grin )

Drinking Beverage

"Humans always measure what they see in front of them to what they already know. They will deny anything outside of that. They are shallow lifeforms, so enthralled with superficial appearances that they fail to see the truth."
[+] 1 user Likes MrAttacus's post
06-09-2013, 12:46 PM
Imma unthinking atheist, if there's Gwynnies, or alcohol. Thumbsup

If I think about it, Imma gnostic atheist, which, to the group, is absurd. But individually, I take all comers. Big Grin

I don't know, I still like unthinking atheists more than unthinking theists. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
06-09-2013, 01:26 PM
I guess what bothered me most is that this guy is okay with kids being scared into behaving correctly. The second biggest thing that bothered me is that I like this guy and so to me, if he thinks the above, then maybe he hasn't really thought the whole thing through too much, and if he hasn't thought it through, he could get sucked into the religion machine and I'd hate to see that happen to him. Sad

06-09-2013, 02:28 PM
Quote:You know - the ones who don't believe but don't seem to have any good reason behind their non-belief.

So you are saying that the utter failure of any theist to provide evidence of his/her sky daddy is an insufficient reason to think they are full of shit?

They assert their is a god. They incur the responsibility to provide evidence for it.

And they all seem to hate responsibility.
06-09-2013, 04:03 PM
(06-09-2013 02:28 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
Quote:You know - the ones who don't believe but don't seem to have any good reason behind their non-belief.

So you are saying that the utter failure of any theist to provide evidence of his/her sky daddy is an insufficient reason to think they are full of shit?

They assert their is a god. They incur the responsibility to provide evidence for it.

Evidently I said what I did in a poor way because everyone's taking it so very differently than I intended. I agree with the guy who said that all that stuff is bull and to answer your question, that is not what I'm saying. You're right so far as I'm concerned - they fail to bring real proof, so there is no reason to believe.

I DO NOT agree that it is good for children to believe that there is a man up in the sky who will fry them in a giant skillet for all eternity because they talk back to mom and dad or engage in premarital sex. It was that point that made me wonder if maybe this guy who imo correctly believes that religion is bull hadn't thought things through as well as I believed he had. That's great that he thinks it's bull. But apparently he still thinks it's good and serves a purpose. Evidently he still thinks that his children need the threat of eternal punishment to do right and that irritates/angers me.

They aren't my children, and so it's not my place, but still. That he seemed not to have given much thought over what it is that he really is saying is good for his children, maybe his "religion is bull" stuff isn't so well-founded as I originally thought, and so maybe he could be shaken from his atheism. I just think that maybe his atheism isn't as solid as I first believed. And because this is someone I care about, that bothers me.

I really hope this clears things up. If not, I'll try and straighten it out on Monday...

07-09-2013, 03:58 AM
(06-09-2013 04:03 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  
(06-09-2013 02:28 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  So you are saying that the utter failure of any theist to provide evidence of his/her sky daddy is an insufficient reason to think they are full of shit?

Evidently I said what I did in a poor way because everyone's taking it so very differently than I intended. I agree with the guy who said that all that stuff is bull and to answer your question, that is not what I'm saying. You're right so far as I'm concerned - they fail to bring real proof, so there is no reason to believe.

I DO NOT agree that it is good for children to believe that there is a man up in the sky who will fry them in a giant skillet for all eternity because they talk back to mom and dad or engage in premarital sex. It was that point that made me wonder if maybe this guy who imo correctly believes that religion is bull hadn't thought things through as well as I believed he had. That's great that he thinks it's bull. But apparently he still thinks it's good and serves a purpose. Evidently he still thinks that his children need the threat of eternal punishment to do right and that irritates/angers me.

They aren't my children, and so it's not my place, but still. That he seemed not to have given much thought over what it is that he really is saying is good for his children, maybe his "religion is bull" stuff isn't so well-founded as I originally thought, and so maybe he could be shaken from his atheism. I just think that maybe his atheism isn't as solid as I first believed. And because this is someone I care about, that bothers me.

I really hope this clears things up. If not, I'll try and straighten it out on Monday...

I get what you meant, and I agree. I think it's very important to know how to think, not just what to think. A person that has a well argued and rationalized position that I disagree with gets more respect than an uncritical sheep who just happens to share my position. Why we believe what we do is vastly important, because it's the why that should be able to convince others of our position.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
07-09-2013, 05:51 AM
it is obvious that u r meaning smthg else and never walk in truth by pointing what u mean, which is the opposite to ur means here since u claim not respecting what dont clarify his stand
then u r a liar so everything u might say is always wrong

more seriously, what matter is the truth so reality and not individuals

a thinker is by definition not being so detached from true existence then 99 percent it would come up with wat is not right till by insisting the will would show up which is the base of the lie, the will that is opposed to whatever is there

one percent of thinkers could b right as always true themselves so they might get back a bit to think in more abstract terms of truth smthg they picture matter too, but this has nothing to do with thinking activity, it is just that truth is also where individual freedom are when consciously they are not a will and they are consciously supporter to objective truth
07-09-2013, 06:02 AM
(07-09-2013 05:51 AM)absols Wrote:  it is obvious that u r meaning smthg else and never walk in truth by pointing what u mean, which is the opposite to ur means here since u claim not respecting what dont clarify his stand
then u r a liar so everything u might say is always wrong

more seriously, what matter is the truth so reality and not individuals

a thinker is by definition not being so detached from true existence then 99 percent it would come up with wat is not right till by insisting the will would show up which is the base of the lie, the will that is opposed to whatever is there

one percent of thinkers could b right as always true themselves so they might get back a bit to think in more abstract terms of truth smthg they picture matter too, but this has nothing to do with thinking activity, it is just that truth is also where individual freedom are when consciously they are not a will and they are consciously supporter to objective truth

[Image: lolwut.jpg]

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]