Unthinking atheists...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-09-2013, 06:05 AM
Re: Unthinking atheists...
I have a person I know who fits that criteria well, probably a few more but an ex Co-worker of mine exactly.

I have no issue with people who will be like that on their basis.

What troubles me about the type is how its the easy to use example of what an atheist supposedly is. I always felt it was just a go to of annoyance for religious types, to say they just hate God or that nonsense. But I recently discovered even non religious will assume the term is just this type of described person.

That's my only bother with it, not all people are going to live with having justifications for all their ideas.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-09-2013, 05:09 AM
RE: Unthinking atheists...
(06-09-2013 10:00 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  You know - the ones who don't believe but don't seem to have any good reason behind their non-belief. It's almost as bad as religious people believing for no good reason.

One person in particular - a guy who played a larger part in my de-conversion than he probably realizes - comes to mind. He straight up said that the Bible and all that stuff is bullshit. Fascinating bullshit, but bullshit nonetheless.

And yet... No He has also said that he thinks it's good for children to believe in God, said that they need that "eye in the sky" mentality going on. This is a man I believe to be quite intelligent, but has he not thought this through AT ALL? :sigh:
He's correct. Some people do actually need religious belief to function.
08-09-2013, 05:16 AM
(08-09-2013 05:09 AM)Juv Wrote:  Some people do actually need religious belief to function.

Need?

I would argue that that is only because they've been taught to need it.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
08-09-2013, 05:43 AM
(08-09-2013 05:16 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(08-09-2013 05:09 AM)Juv Wrote:  Some people do actually need religious belief to function.

Need?

Hopefully, you're right. I'm worried that it may not be the case though, though.Unsure
08-09-2013, 05:58 AM
(08-09-2013 05:43 AM)Juv Wrote:  
(08-09-2013 05:16 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Need?

Hopefully, you're right. I'm worried that it may not be the case though, though.Unsure

So ... Nature vs. Nurture.

If not taught, it must be:
a) divinely designed
b) neuro-chemical.
c) both.

I think we are all born as atheists.
Then taught to obey / hate / fear.

The degree to which we respond to that training might be hardwired but that's as far as it goes.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
08-09-2013, 07:31 AM
they love to confuse themselves with animals while human condition of being is totally else

why a lot enjoy saying that?? bc they are enjoying lying by taking advantage from animals conditions what they want consciously
as also enjoying faking innocence of means and denying individuality

animals are not self aware, barely they could b aware of existence but never as a perspective out, only as confused with totally

this is the point, what use to possess animals bodies for billions of years insist to live or fake existing by using humans bodies conscious now, denying their rights of being in truth as objectively existing themselves since self aware or conscious of being
so those infinite dirty powers are the reason of pervert humans livings

bc to me, it is not logical that a human could b against reality and living by the fancy on being in power over all, when reality is a fact for any human being as forcing him/her to b and act always relatively and individually
08-09-2013, 10:43 AM
(08-09-2013 07:31 AM)absols Wrote:  they love to confuse themselves with animals while human condition of being is totally else

why a lot enjoy saying that?? bc they are enjoying lying by taking advantage from animals conditions what they want consciously
as also enjoying faking innocence of means and denying individuality

animals are not self aware, barely they could b aware of existence but never as a perspective out, only as confused with totally

this is the point, what use to possess animals bodies for billions of years insist to live or fake existing by using humans bodies conscious now, denying their rights of being in truth as objectively existing themselves since self aware or conscious of being
so those infinite dirty powers are the reason of pervert humans livings

bc to me, it is not logical that a human could b against reality and living by the fancy on being in power over all, when reality is a fact for any human being as forcing him/her to b and act always relatively and individually

Or in other words...

What I think you are trying to say...

To put it another way...

Is...

Huh

Nah. Again, I got nothing.

No

08-09-2013, 11:00 AM
i guess it sounds like i want to say too much things so it sounds like nothing said

but it is not that, it is really focused on one thing which is related to all to b one real thing
08-09-2013, 11:04 AM
(08-09-2013 11:00 AM)absols Wrote:  i guess it sounds like i want to say too much things so it sounds like nothing said

but it is not that, it is really focused on one thing which is related to all to b one real thing

Cool.

What is the real thing to which all the things you say are related?

08-09-2013, 11:08 AM
Didn't read past the, like, third post, but decided to drop my 2 cents here regardless. Being in modern day high school, everyone has gone through that phase where they're like "OH I'M AN ATHEIST" because they think the entire "not caring about anything" facade is cool. But later on, and unsurprisingly, they turn to religion, or jump in the safe boat with agnosticism--- possibly because they feel bad for preaching about how much it's "stupid to believe there is a god" in the most ignorant tone, and absent of any points or knowledge.

An example of an unthinking atheist, everyone.