Upcoming changes and anxiety

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2016, 01:03 AM
RE: Upcoming changes and anxiety
(05-05-2016 09:30 PM)debna27 Wrote:  However, that session definitely made me realize that I'm going to need more support than I can get through therapy alone; I simply can't afford enough time to talk through everything that I need with her. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to get that support? I worry that if I post all my problems here, I'll be asking too much of a community that I haven't really contributed to in the long run.

If you accept the caveat that none of us are qualified to help you, then yeah, as JDog said, sometimes all you need is an ear to listen. Feel free to pour your guts out - just remember what's on the internet lives forever Wink Also, you might be surprised but that probably counts as a contribution to the forum, 'cos who knows who might have the same sort of issue as you and have never dared to say anything about it? Maybe just knowing that someone out there is also struggling with the same kinda stuff might help them.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2016, 05:41 AM
(05-05-2016 09:30 PM)debna27 Wrote:  Posting an update here just in case anybody's interested.
Cool! Updates are appreciated.

(05-05-2016 09:30 PM)debna27 Wrote:  My appointment went really well overall, in terms of making me feel more secure in myself and less depressed/hopeless about the way that my life is going right now. I've been feeling much better for the past view days.
Glad to hear it.

(05-05-2016 09:30 PM)debna27 Wrote:  However, I didn't actually tell my therapist that I haven't been taking my medication. I honestly intended to, I had been planning how I was going to say it for several days leading up to the appointment, and then before I knew it our session was over and I didn't get the chance to bring it up (along with all my thoughts on how I felt about going home recently).
Sigh. Can you call or email them? In your defense, I've done that also. There's always so much to talk about and the time goes so fast. I started making a list of things I need to discuss.

(05-05-2016 09:30 PM)debna27 Wrote:  Does anybody have any suggestions on how to get that support? I worry that if I post all my problems here, I'll be asking too much of a community that I haven't really contributed to in the long run.

It's not a matter of contributions to the site. Some of us have been there and we're all happy to help.

Can you get any emotional support from friends or family? They don't even have to "counsel" you, just provide a shoulder.

Check the government resources in your area. The blue-pages in the phone books. There should be county or maybe state-run agencies.

Like the other posters said, we are untrained and unknowing, but we are enthusiastic. Thumbsup

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
06-05-2016, 07:44 AM
These links may help:

NIMH: Depression

Help for Mental Illness

Medline: Depression

Anxiety & Depression Association of America

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
06-05-2016, 03:34 PM
(05-05-2016 09:30 PM)debna27 Wrote:  However, that session definitely made me realize that I'm going to need more support than I can get through therapy alone; I simply can't afford enough time to talk through everything that I need with her. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to get that support? I worry that if I post all my problems here, I'll be asking too much of a community that I haven't really contributed to in the long run.

Post whatever you like here and to blazes with the whole "contribution" nonsense. I forbid you from feeling vestigal religious guilt for asking questions of atheists!

I do feel obliged to reiterate morondog's warning though. I don't think we have any psychological professionals on TTA. Also feel free to ignore everything I say. I have the social intelligence of a three year old stump.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
06-05-2016, 03:50 PM
(05-05-2016 09:30 PM)debna27 Wrote:  I worry that if I post all my problems here, I'll be asking too much of a community that I haven't really contributed to in the long run.

We take credit here. You take advice now and pay the advice back later.

Everybody here loves you.
06-05-2016, 03:51 PM
(05-05-2016 09:30 PM)debna27 Wrote:  I worry that if I post all my problems here, I'll be asking too much of a community that I haven't really contributed to in the long run.

We take credit here. You take advice now and pay the advice back later.

Everybody here loves you.
06-05-2016, 03:55 PM
I'm sure we would be fine helping you. Big Grin
I have also worried about being a burden, but everyone has been very kind.