Update On My Ideology

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
13-03-2014, 06:05 PM
Update On My Ideology
I'm now an agnostic atheist. I will listen to evidence that turns up, but I am not now convinced that Christianity, as it is written, is a viable belief system, nor can I see it as an upstanding response to any society's moral dilemmas. In fact, if Christianity is followed faithfully (without an a la carte approach) and ends up being an improvement in a given society, this is only a sad narrative for that society's previous condition rather than a positive assessment of the merits of the religion itself.

I do admit to hestitance as I say this, as there is still a lot of residual fear to work through (and still a video from someone in my inbox that I need to watch).
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 16 users Like Charis's post
13-03-2014, 06:09 PM
RE: Update on ideology
(13-03-2014 06:05 PM)Charis Wrote:  I'm now an agnostic atheist. I will listen to evidence that turns up, but I am not now convinced that Christianity, as it is written, is a viable belief system, nor can I see it as an upstanding response to any society's moral dilemmas. In fact, if Christianity is followed faithfully (without an a la carte approach) and ends up being an improvement in a given society, this is only a sad narrative for that society's previous condition rather than a positive assessment of the merits of the religion itself.

I do admit to hestitance as I say this, as there is still a lot of residual fear to work through (and still a video from someone in my inbox that I need to watch).

Your description only references the Christian god.

Do you apply the same standards to other theistic gods?

How about a deist god?
13-03-2014, 06:12 PM
RE: Update On My Ideology
Have you read Seth's book De converted? Or Dan Barkers story? Or Julia Sweeney?

There are many people who have stood in your shoes and the questions they asked themselves, and the things that clicked for them, help others work thru them too.

I think Julia is on Ted talks? Very funny, but really hits home too.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
13-03-2014, 06:13 PM
(13-03-2014 06:09 PM)Simon Moon Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 06:05 PM)Charis Wrote:  I'm now an agnostic atheist. I will listen to evidence that turns up, but I am not now convinced that Christianity, as it is written, is a viable belief system, nor can I see it as an upstanding response to any society's moral dilemmas. In fact, if Christianity is followed faithfully (without an a la carte approach) and ends up being an improvement in a given society, this is only a sad narrative for that society's previous condition rather than a positive assessment of the merits of the religion itself.

Your description only references the Christian god.

Do you apply the same standards to other theistic gods?

How about a deist god?

I have always been an "atheist" as regards gods other than the Christian god. I've simply gone one step farther. The irony? with other gods I always said,"well, show me the evidence. I don't see any." Answers in Genesis being so deeply thrust inside my mind, I was entirely convinced that I HAD sufficient evidence for the validity of the Bible as it stands written.

Yes, I will be applying the same standard for other gods as well.
[+] 4 users Like Charis's post
13-03-2014, 06:15 PM
(13-03-2014 06:12 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Have you read Seth's book De converted? Or Dan Barkers story? Or Julia Sweeney?

There are many people who have stood in your shoes and the questions they asked themselves, and the things that clicked for them, help others work thru them too.

I think Julia is on Ted talks? Very funny, but really hits home too.

I have heard Dan Barker's story, which was immediately followed up with the No True Scotsman thinking. I have heard the name Julia Sweeny but am not familiar with her. I have not (yet) read Seth's book.

Quick edit: many within fundamentalism are familiar with Dan Barker, and regard him with the utmost animosity.
13-03-2014, 06:16 PM
Congratulations, you are awesome!

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 4 users Like Atothetheist's post
13-03-2014, 06:19 PM
Julia Sweeney letting go of god

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 3 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
13-03-2014, 06:21 PM
Congratulations to you! Mainly for being able to question your own beliefs rationally. Your story is very inspiring (to me at least) and i wish you well in future challenges. Because let's face it, there are still challenges to face while being an AgAt. Smile

If you don't want a sarcastic answer, don't ask stupid questions. Drinking Beverage
[+] 1 user Likes ivaneus's post
13-03-2014, 06:22 PM
Update on my ideology.....still an atheist.

Tongue
[+] 5 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
13-03-2014, 06:24 PM
(13-03-2014 06:16 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Congratulations, you are awesome!

lol Thank you, even though I'm not sure that I've actually done anything...