Update On My Ideology

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
13-03-2014, 06:28 PM (This post was last modified: 14-03-2014 05:03 AM by Full Circle.)
RE: Update On My Ideology
That is a big step, it might take a while to be comfortable with it but if your journey is anything like mine then...

You will begin to look at life as more precious and more incredible.

You will treasure every moment with a bit more ardor and love even deeper than before.

You will become truly responsible for your actions.

You will be happier.

Welcome.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
13-03-2014, 06:28 PM
Btw, I'll still answer questions in my ask me thread from the perspective of a fundamentalist Christian, as I have been in street evangelism, the Creation Museum, family issues as seen from a fundamentalist perspective; also the perspective, thinking and logic behind certain more radical people within Christianity.
13-03-2014, 06:42 PM
(13-03-2014 06:05 PM)Charis Wrote:  I do admit to hestitance as I say this, as there is still a lot of residual fear to work through

I know exactly what you mean. It took me about six months to get to the point where I stopped believing to when I could admit it to myself. It wasn't a transition I wanted to happen, and at the time, I was worried I might be making an irreversible mistake.

In the end, I realized I'd never worried about crossing Allah or the FSM, so why was I now worried about crossing the Christian god in which I no longer believed. It took a while, but I got comfortable with my disbelief. I had 30 years of habit to break.
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
13-03-2014, 06:43 PM
Yeah, I'm... gonna go ahead and be grateful one more time that I was raised without any particular religion...

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
13-03-2014, 06:57 PM
(13-03-2014 06:05 PM)Charis Wrote:  I do admit to hestitance as I say this, as there is still a lot of residual fear to work through
What fear do you have?
That you won't go to heaven?
That you will be tortured in hell?
That people around you will be disappointed?
That you need to become independant with regards to "moral" judgement and that you now are responsible for your own actions?
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
13-03-2014, 07:01 PM
The first three. I never had any doubt previously of my responsibility for my own actions, as I was taught everything good about me is because of God and anything bad about me was because of me.
13-03-2014, 08:08 PM
Hi, I'm Bob.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
13-03-2014, 08:18 PM
(13-03-2014 07:01 PM)Charis Wrote:  The first three. I never had any doubt previously of my responsibility for my own actions, as I was taught everything good about me is because of God and anything bad about me was because of me.
LOL,
It's blackmail, you know.
Much like those chain letters, "Pass on to five people otherwise something bad will happen to you."
There is no reason to believe that anything bad will happen, no evidence to suggest it, but because of the extreme consequence we tend to take heed and try to avoid that which has such a low risk of actually happening.

I am not sure if this makes sense to someone who was actually religion (I have never been) but my analogy is with regards to a work boss.
Let's say you work hard all year thinking everything is great and that you have done a great job, then performance review comes up. Your boss tells you that there is something that you have been doing wrong, that you have been doing it wrong all year and that you will get a poor performance grade, thus no bonus and no payrise.
You walk away thinking what a fuck your boss is. Why didnt she tell you at the beginning of the year so that you could adjust your behaviour. Ultimately you think your boss is terrible at their job and that it was very unfair for them to know about the issue and not tell you, not give you the opportunity to improve.
In my opinion when you go to a performance review, there should be no surprises, you should already be aware of any issues, you should have had ample opportunity and even assistence/guidance if needed or asked for. That would be the sign of a decent boss, someone who looks out for you, offers you regular feedback, provides support and guidance (if needed).

The whole god thing makes no sense to me. You're in the dark the whole time, your judged based on randomly picking which god to worship without any evidence to suggest which one is the real one, one that requires worship and unquestioned obedience, one that never talks to you, never explains if you are on the right path, what you need to do to improve.
Isn't the Christian god supposed to be perfect and loving?
Would it be perfect and loving to send someone to be tortured for all eternity for any crime, let alone randomly picking the wrong god to worship or not worshiping a god at all?

Quite frankly, I don't think you have anything to be worried about. God, Satan, Heaven, Hell, Good, Bad, Sin, atonement its just make believe myth-stories that many adults strangely indulge themselves with. Meanwhile back in reality we have our lives and struggles, our loves, our families, we have famine and poverty, work responsibilities and things that are real that really demand our attention. Should we really waste much time on the fantasy of gods and demons?
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
13-03-2014, 08:36 PM
Best of luck. It took me a long time to give it all up.

Hug

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

13-03-2014, 08:44 PM
(13-03-2014 06:15 PM)Charis Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 06:12 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Have you read Seth's book De converted? Or Dan Barkers story? Or Julia Sweeney?

There are many people who have stood in your shoes and the questions they asked themselves, and the things that clicked for them, help others work thru them too.

I think Julia is on Ted talks? Very funny, but really hits home too.

I have heard Dan Barker's story, which was immediately followed up with the No True Scotsman thinking. I have heard the name Julia Sweeny but am not familiar with her. I have not (yet) read Seth's book.

Quick edit: many within fundamentalism are familiar with Dan Barker, and regard him with the utmost animosity.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post