Update: came out to my wife.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-10-2016, 08:57 AM
Update: came out to my wife.
I posted a while back about being a closeted atheist and my fears about telling my wife... Well, last night the talk happened.

I have to give her so much credit when it finally came out that I don't believe anymore she hugged me and said: "I love you." She was a little heartbroken that I had waited so long to tell her, but I think she understood my reasons. Deaths in her family, the birth of our new daughter, and not wanting to rock the boat while we were getting past the sleep deprivation from the new baby.

There were tears on both sides and she asked for a little clarification.
-Did I mean I'd found another faith? No, it's a lack of faith.
-What does Agnostic mean? I don't know if there is a God, but I don't believe anymore.
-How long? I've been pretty sure since April.
-When did it start? After our miscarriage about two years ago, and no, it wasn't because I was angry with God, it was just kind of a trigger when none of it made sense anymore.

We talked about a lot of things, but she was very sorry that I have been going through this alone and expressed that she wished she had known. The only real thing that she was firm on was that she still wanted to raise the children Christian. For now, it is what it is.

There were more tears this morning before I left for work, and I expect more in the short term. She asked if I minded if she still prays for me, I said no, she can do what she thinks will help. She wants to maybe talk with someone together, perhaps our pastor or something. I said I would. I am trying to be as accommodating as possible, talking with a pastor isn't a big deal.

So hopefully if everything goes as good as last night, we might be at a new normal soon.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 17 users Like herrozerro's post
03-10-2016, 09:08 AM
RE: Update: came out to my wife.
Very nice. This doesn't surprise me and I think more of these conversations would go this way if people just got the courage to have them. Very happy for you. I feel bad you'll have to go through the motions with a pastor because your wife sounds like a great person, though it still seems like she wants to see if you can be "cured." Baby steps. You'll be able to voice your rational thought here and she may start to really understand, maybe even have her eyes opened a bit.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-10-2016, 09:12 AM
Sounds like it went very well. She loves you unconditionally - whether she thinks you need fixing or not. Thumbsup

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
03-10-2016, 09:49 AM
Yes, it turned out well with two people who obviously feel that love trumps belief.

Here's to a happy future!

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
03-10-2016, 10:06 AM
Good!

Sounds like you and your wife are on a good path.

Heart

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
03-10-2016, 10:15 AM
(03-10-2016 09:08 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  Very nice. This doesn't surprise me and I think more of these conversations would go this way if people just got the courage to have them. Very happy for you. I feel bad you'll have to go through the motions with a pastor because your wife sounds like a great person, though it still seems like she wants to see if you can be "cured." Baby steps. You'll be able to voice your rational thought here and she may start to really understand, maybe even have her eyes opened a bit.

Well in her words best I can remember:

"I'd like to talk with someone together... Not that I just want to drag you to church and get Jesus."

It's more I think to counsel our marriage than reconversion. And she even suggested our retired pastor, a man that I actually respect and would have no issues having a conversation with.
[+] 4 users Like herrozerro's post
03-10-2016, 10:20 AM
(03-10-2016 08:57 AM)herrozerro Wrote:  I posted a while back about being a closeted atheist and my fears about telling my wife... Well, last night the talk happened.

I have to give her so much credit when it finally came out that I don't believe anymore she hugged me and said: "I love you." She was a little heartbroken that I had waited so long to tell her, but I think she understood my reasons. Deaths in her family, the birth of our new daughter, and not wanting to rock the boat while we were getting past the sleep deprivation from the new baby.

-What does Agnostic mean? I don't know if there is a God, but I don't believe anymore.
-When did it start? After our miscarriage about two years ago, and no, it wasn't because I was angry with God, it was just kind of a trigger when none of it made sense anymore.

We talked about a lot of things, but she was very sorry that I have been going through this alone and expressed that she wished she had known. The only real thing that she was firm on was that she still wanted to raise the children Christian. For now, it is what it is.

There were more tears this morning before I left for work, and I expect more in the short term. She asked if I minded if she still prays for me, I said no, she can do what she thinks will help. She wants to maybe talk with someone together, perhaps our pastor or something. I said I would. I am trying to be as accommodating as possible, talking with a pastor isn't a big deal.

So hopefully if everything goes as good as last night, we might be at a new normal soon.

I'd say you have a keeper there. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
03-10-2016, 10:20 AM
That is great to hear.
03-10-2016, 10:52 AM
(03-10-2016 10:20 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-10-2016 08:57 AM)herrozerro Wrote:  I posted a while back about being a closeted atheist and my fears about telling my wife... Well, last night the talk happened.

I'd say you have a keeper there. Thumbsup
I second this!!
03-10-2016, 11:24 AM
It sounds like both of you are handling this well considering how this could have gone. I'm happy for you.