Updated on my 3rd read of the bible

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
17-07-2014, 11:09 AM
RE: Updated on my 3rd read of the bible
(17-07-2014 10:52 AM)theophilus Wrote:  Judges shows the evil that results when people reject God and his moral standards.
Facepalm
So you're saying that if people reject God they're evil? Also you don't have the moral standards?

That's interesting because I too reject(don't believe at all to be exact) God and his moral standards and I still know that killing, rape, killing people because they did the opposite of what you said and lying is bad. I know what's right and wrong without the backing of a God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes MrKrispy601's post
17-07-2014, 11:15 AM
(17-07-2014 10:52 AM)theophilus Wrote:  Judges shows the evil that results when people reject God and his moral standards.
I'm so glad those followers of Islam don't reject God. Otherwise, we might see evil like flying planes into buildings and mass murders by suicide bombings. Yeah, God is great. Dodgy

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 5 users Like Impulse's post
17-07-2014, 12:48 PM
So here is an example of how theophilus's God's morals work:

A fitting epilogue to the story of the Benjamites is what happened when Israel responded to the man's call for revenge (Judges 20). 400,000 Israelites went up against 26,700 Benjamites (including 700 crack shots with a slingshot). After inquiring of the Lord whether they should fight against Benjamin and getting a positive response, the Israelites were routed by the Benjamites and lost 22,000 men. The next day, after again inquiring of the Lord and getting another positive response, they marched out against Benjamin but were again defeated, losing another 18,000 men.

Finally, on the third day after again inquiring of the Lord and receiving reassurances that they would definitely win this time, the Israelites cleverly forego a frontal assault and plan an ambush. This works and 26,100 of the 26,700 Benjamites are slaughtered. The Israelites then proceed to wipe out the entire population of Benjamin including the women, children and animals.

All Israel then mourns for the near loss of a tribe. To make up to the Benjamites, the elders of Israel formulate a plan where the surviving 600 Benjamites were given the women of Jabesh Gilead. Apparently, Jabesh Gilead did not send a single soldier to the above war, and as punishment "every male and every woman who is not a vrigin" was exterminated. 400 surviving virgins were given to the Benjamites but there was still a shortage of 200 women.

To make up the difference, the elders allowed the remaining single Benjamites to kidnap 200 virgins who were attending the annual festival of the Lord at Shiloh. The elders then pacified the angry fathers of the virgins and so Benjamin was able to continue as a tribe.

In summary, 40,000 men died after getting reassurances from God that they would win this righteous war. The entire population of Jabesh Gilead was exterminated for refusing to participate in this righteous war. And 200 innocent virgins were kidnapped to provide wives for the surviving Benjamites whose innocent women had been exterminated in the first place by YHWH.

Make sense?

Doc
[+] 1 user Likes docskeptic's post
17-07-2014, 03:43 PM
(17-07-2014 12:48 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  So here is an example of how theophilus's God's morals work:

A fitting epilogue to the story of the Benjamites is what happened when Israel responded to the man's call for revenge (Judges 20). 400,000 Israelites went up against 26,700 Benjamites (including 700 crack shots with a slingshot). After inquiring of the Lord whether they should fight against Benjamin and getting a positive response, the Israelites were routed by the Benjamites and lost 22,000 men. The next day, after again inquiring of the Lord and getting another positive response, they marched out against Benjamin but were again defeated, losing another 18,000 men.

Finally, on the third day after again inquiring of the Lord and receiving reassurances that they would definitely win this time, the Israelites cleverly forego a frontal assault and plan an ambush. This works and 26,100 of the 26,700 Benjamites are slaughtered. The Israelites then proceed to wipe out the entire population of Benjamin including the women, children and animals.

All Israel then mourns for the near loss of a tribe. To make up to the Benjamites, the elders of Israel formulate a plan where the surviving 600 Benjamites were given the women of Jabesh Gilead. Apparently, Jabesh Gilead did not send a single soldier to the above war, and as punishment "every male and every woman who is not a vrigin" was exterminated. 400 surviving virgins were given to the Benjamites but there was still a shortage of 200 women.

To make up the difference, the elders allowed the remaining single Benjamites to kidnap 200 virgins who were attending the annual festival of the Lord at Shiloh. The elders then pacified the angry fathers of the virgins and so Benjamin was able to continue as a tribe.

In summary, 40,000 men died after getting reassurances from God that they would win this righteous war. The entire population of Jabesh Gilead was exterminated for refusing to participate in this righteous war. And 200 innocent virgins were kidnapped to provide wives for the surviving Benjamites whose innocent women had been exterminated in the first place by YHWH.

Make sense?

Doc

This was one of the many Bible stories in the book "Drunk With Blood-God's Killings in the Bible" by Steve Wells. (Recommended highly.) If you were to make a movie about this particular episode, and someone really should just to make a point about the horrors in the Bible, it would be rated R and no one under 18 allowed in.

This story is a combination of God + Jeffrey Dahmer= Biblical story of death and mass killing.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
18-07-2014, 10:18 AM
(17-07-2014 11:09 AM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  That's interesting because I too reject(don't believe at all to be exact) God and his moral standards and I still know that killing, rape, killing people because they did the opposite of what you said and lying is bad. I know what's right and wrong without the backing of a God.

The knowledge of right and wrong comes from God and he has given it to everyone.

Quote:For when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do what the law requires, they are a law to themselves, even though they do not have the law. They show that the work of the law is written on their hearts, while their conscience also bears witness, and their conflicting thoughts accuse or even excuse them.
(Romans 2:14-15 ESV)

When people reject the knowledge of God they are less likely to live up to those standards and in many cases they end up rejecting them.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-07-2014, 10:29 AM
(18-07-2014 10:18 AM)theophilus Wrote:  The knowledge of right and wrong comes from God and he has given it to everyone.
For crying out loud, get it straight. That knowledge comes from a tree. Didn't you read your Bible? Dodgy

(18-07-2014 10:18 AM)theophilus Wrote:  When people reject the knowledge of God they are less likely to live up to those standards and in many cases they end up rejecting them.
You mean standards like raping, murdering, cannibalism, and owning slaves? Consider

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
18-07-2014, 12:57 PM
(18-07-2014 10:18 AM)theophilus Wrote:  The knowledge of right and wrong comes from God and he has given it to everyone.
When God created man he gave them none of these things. In fact he tried to keep it away from man by telling him not to eat of a tree that would give them knowledge. So it's not inherently given.

Quote:When people reject the knowledge of God they are less likely to live up to those standards and in many cases they end up rejecting them.

Standards? What standards would you be referring to? Letting women be treated like animals up for fair trade? Making a women marry her rapist? I don't think you understand how to use that word.

stan·dard
noun \ˈstan-dərd\

: a level of quality, achievement, etc., that is considered acceptable or desirable

standards : ideas about morally correct and acceptable behavior

: something that is very good and that is used to make judgments about the quality of other things

So are you saying because God ok'd the marrying of a rapist to the women who was raped and her having no say it makes it acceptable behavior? I know you might try to the use the argument about it being a different time and a woman being raped meant she had no value but that is a very poor reason and still shows misogyny. So yes my intellect that I have learned from my fellow man, my compassion for my fellow man, and my understanding of not doing wrong because I know my fellow humans wouldn't like it(NOT because someone told me) is higher than that standard. Most people in this world(including yourself) know that rape is wrong and making a woman endure marriage to this vile person is no better but your God let's this be. Whether it happened in the old times or now makes no difference because it show's that at a time your God had poor judgment at one point as well as many others. That is all more reason to trust in yourself rather than someone else to do the right thing.
18-07-2014, 01:16 PM
(17-07-2014 09:21 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  
(17-07-2014 09:06 AM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  he took a knife and cut up his concubine, limb by limb, into twelve parts

Huh Was she part centipede?

(I focus on stupid details when the whole thing's too bad to go into.)

I think I would quarter the torso then, halve each arm and leg. 12. Shy

Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
18-07-2014, 01:18 PM
(18-07-2014 01:16 PM)kim Wrote:  
(17-07-2014 09:21 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  Huh Was she part centipede?

(I focus on stupid details when the whole thing's too bad to go into.)

I think I would quarter the torso then, halve each arm and leg. 12. Shy

Drinking Beverage

Kimmy,
You forgot the head.
Doc
[+] 1 user Likes docskeptic's post
18-07-2014, 01:22 PM
I really just have to say though that the book of Judges is by far the most fucked up part of the Bible next to Exodus. Seem's like this Yahweh character needs to be judged Dodgy

Crazy you say?
Wouldn't a crazy man ask another man if he was crazy?! Hobo