Urgent! Jennybee is leaving!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-01-2017, 01:16 AM
RE: Urgent! Jennybee is leaving!
(27-01-2017 08:34 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Quick! Everyone get some ropes and tie her feet together so she can't walk away! This is a crisis situation!

Alas, your master plan has been defeated by the flexiness of her yoga mastery.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
28-01-2017, 02:55 AM
Undecided

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
28-01-2017, 04:49 AM
I can't help but think this is my fault, Sad I should never have mouthed off about the new polymer five pound note. I absolutely never meant to disrespect Jenny's lifestyle choices. I'm really gutted right nowSad
28-01-2017, 05:03 AM
(28-01-2017 04:49 AM)adey67 Wrote:  I can't help but think this is my fault, Sad I should never have mouthed off about the new polymer five pound note. I absolutely never meant to disrespect Jenny's lifestyle choices. I'm really gutted right nowSad

It's not your fault.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
28-01-2017, 07:10 AM
You shouldn't leave.

Talk to me?
[+] 1 user Likes excitedpenguin's post
28-01-2017, 08:23 AM
I really hope she doesn't go Sad

I have people in my personal life who have made me feel really badly about being a vegetarian, doing things like waving bacon under my nose at parties "oooohhhhhh, doesn't this smell good? you don't know what you're missing!"
Or post idiotic comments on a vegetarian recipe I shared "this would be better with bacon! just saying'"

After years and years of these comments, which can definitely be construed as disrespectful, let me tell you, it gets OLD and even though you don't want to get defensive, you do. So, I totally get it, jennybee.

To put it in a context others might understand:
Imagine someone waving their christianity under your nose even though it's not even a topic of conversation, nor did you ask their opinion.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like ShadowProject's post
28-01-2017, 08:28 AM
(27-01-2017 11:58 PM)Aliza Wrote:  From the "What did you eat today?" thread:

(27-01-2017 03:37 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I wasn't sure where to put this, so I decided to put it in here: My thread, the one I created to try and share vegan cooking ideas with other people, as well as a place where everyone regardless of food preferences could come and take part and have a place to chat about *all* things food.

I decided to leave the forum. Every once in awhile, a vegan/meat thread will pop up on here and after reading through it, reading some of the comments, I just really don't feel like I belong here. I think what bothers me most is that I never try to "convert" anyone to my way of thinking. In fact, I'm very supportive of everyone on here--even when it's choices I may not personally agree with. So, yeah, it kinda hurts when people have rude, nasty comments coupled with stereotypes for the way I choose to live my life, especially when I do nothing to solicit them. Anyway, I'm over it and there are no hard feelings, as I say I just don't think this is the right place for me. I wish you all the best that life has to offer. Take care.

I have no idea what conversation you’re referring to or which forum members made the nasty comments. But yeah…I can totally relate to your position on this. I never push my beliefs on anyone else, my beliefs don’t hurt me, and they don’t hurt anyone else, and yet there are some people who just can’t stand that I think differently than they do. It drives them nuts!

I’m convinced that this behavior is a throwback of their former Christian days when they spent time worrying about what other people did and thought. It was their job to sway them to their way of thinking and there was a real value placed on that effort. They don’t recognize that other people (self-actualized people) are perfectly content to pick their battles with others and respect them even if they disagree.

These people have essentially become the atheist versions of Fundamentalist Christians. They place undue emphasis on being right and possessing the One True Way™, because their upbringing teaches them that being right is the most important thing in the universe. If you’re right then you’re in good shape, but if you’re wrong then you’re not just incorrect, but you’re a bad, evil person who will be punished for all eternity. Some people just haven’t realized that this aspect of their thinking a) is foreign to everyone else’s way of thinking and b) comes from the Christianity that they have otherwise rejected.

In your case, the need to control other people’s thoughts and actions extends into diet and lifestyle.

It’s a sickness.

Don’t leave the forum just yet, though. These folks are in the minority, but if they’re rallying around and ganging up on you, then just recognize that they haven’t shed the “thought police” mentality of their Christian roots. Take a moment to feel bad for them; they’re broken inside. Then take a nice, big step back. Lurk in the shadows of the forum for a little while and just poke your head in and out of threads that are worth your while for the time being. Let these other people grumble and foam at the mouth and your “wrongness” and their “rightness.” It’ll blow over in a few days.

I’m pretty sure that most people can see this for what it is anyway and I would venture to guess that if things really got out of hand, your friends will have your back.

I know you understand, possibly more than anyone on here, what it feels like to be treated rudely on here for your lifestyle choices, when you are doing nothing but simply existing. To me, treating people like that is bullying behavior.

Like I mentioned to RS, this wasn't the first time, the first thread, etc. This has also happened to me in random threads. I've just had enough. I'm fine with constructive debates on veganism. For example, I just read the meat thread and Dom's last post (while I'm not going to respond to it because I'm done with that thread) is an example of a constructive debate, someone I would be more than willing to discuss things further with. I'm totally up for that. Stereotypes and nastiness, that I'm not okay with.
[+] 6 users Like jennybee's post
28-01-2017, 08:38 AM
Knee jerkiness is the problem. it is mostly just jerkiness. People assume quite wrongly that you are somehow this militant vegan goddess, and they are so far from the truth there. They knee jerk out their response to this imagined threat ( some really vivid imagination to talk to you and get to that !!!) and type out some shitty response. If this is it, Jenny, just know I respect you and your choices, value your input and indeed will miss you greatly.
Hard to quantify it all, but between your irreverence, penchant for finding funny pictures and starting funny threads, respect for all, knowledge of food and desire to share it, empathy for others and kind words, you represent the best this place has to offer all rolled up in one.
[+] 3 users Like skyking's post
28-01-2017, 08:41 AM
(28-01-2017 01:11 AM)Aractus Wrote:  
(27-01-2017 11:58 PM)Aliza Wrote:  In your case, the need to control other people’s thoughts and actions extends into diet and lifestyle.

It’s a sickness.

I'm not going to read what has been said about this by others in the past, because I already know from experience that people believe they have the right to decide what is right and wrong with diet without consideration of the evidence.

For Jennybee's case let's look at a different application of her position. She does not like the texture or taste of meat. My 30 year old brother does not like the texture or taste of vegetables, and yes he never eats them. Well let's just say he eats very little vegetables or fruit in his daily diet. You can't reason with or expect my brother to eat something he genuinely dislikes, even if we know it's good for him.

I actually did consider the evidence on a vegan diet and looked at various studies (I can provide them for you if you like). I also go to a nutritionist/dietitian who specializes in vegan nutrition and wellness. I read your post in the meat thread. The studies that have said anything "bad" about a vegan diet usually say that the diet was low in a certain amount of nutrients. All of which can be remedied by taking supplements. I agree, if you don't take supplements--and some vegans don't--you could potentially put yourself at risk. There are also health benefits to a vegan diet--it lowers blood sugar levels, can improve kidney function, there's been evidence to suggest that it protects against certain cancers, lower risk of heart disease, can reduce inflammation of joints, etc.

I really don't feel like getting into a debate about this 'cause I'm kinda done with it. But I am more than willing to provide you with studies that I've read if you would like them. But beyond that, I would like to leave it at that.
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
28-01-2017, 08:43 AM
(28-01-2017 04:49 AM)adey67 Wrote:  I can't help but think this is my fault,

It's not.