Urgent! Jennybee is leaving!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-01-2017, 07:43 AM
RE: Urgent! Jennybee is leaving!
(29-01-2017 04:00 AM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Offtopic Angry Neither the time nor the place Aractus, but you appear to be immune to any hint less subtle than a smack around the earhole.

Could you spare a moment from patronizingly lecturing on how we're likely unaware of the facts and unqualified to evaluate them in any case and jog my memory? Are you the same climate change denialist who believes that Antarctica isn't really a continent? That continents in general aren't a valid concept? I only ask because it speaks to the overall grade of evidence. I might have to question the reliability of somebody whose critical faculties are so irredeemably impaired.

Now kindly take your argumentativeness and your immature need to be right and sod off.

Sorry Jenny. I really, really tried to play nice but it was either this or reach through the screen and slap the hypocrisy off that jackass. Goodevil

I don't care whether "I'm right" or not. We could find evidence tomorrow that disproves stuff we already know - that's how research and science works. You're the one using unreasonable labels. There are many types of people who choose to follow a vegetarian or vegan diet for some length of time - and they do it for a wide variety of reasons. I put the evidence on the table at the start because Jennybee says she has evidence she wants me to look at, and I'm happy to do so. I'm not trying to be patronising, I was simply showing her where the evidence that has lead to the creation of the standard 5-food group model diets is, and it's extensive, etc.

And it's true that most people do not know where the evidence is - and in fact even those who do are happy to ignore evidence that conflicts with their beliefs due to motivated reasoning, groupthink, cognitive biases, assumptions, logic, prejudices, and a whole range of other reasons.

As for your fallacious comment labelling me a climate denier: Heisenberg said "an expert is someone who knows some of the worst mistakes that can be made in his subject, and how to avoid them". Health is my subject, not climate science, where I've made mistakes I'm more than happy to be corrected.

I respect Jenny and as I said before, I don't at all think she's a lesser person or any more foolish than me, and if I implied that I'm sorry because I don't believe that at all.

My Blog
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-01-2017, 08:20 AM (This post was last modified: 29-01-2017 08:27 AM by jennybee.)
(29-01-2017 07:43 AM)Aractus Wrote:  
(29-01-2017 04:00 AM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Offtopic Angry Neither the time nor the place Aractus, but you appear to be immune to any hint less subtle than a smack around the earhole.

Could you spare a moment from patronizingly lecturing on how we're likely unaware of the facts and unqualified to evaluate them in any case and jog my memory? Are you the same climate change denialist who believes that Antarctica isn't really a continent? That continents in general aren't a valid concept? I only ask because it speaks to the overall grade of evidence. I might have to question the reliability of somebody whose critical faculties are so irredeemably impaired.

Now kindly take your argumentativeness and your immature need to be right and sod off.

Sorry Jenny. I really, really tried to play nice but it was either this or reach through the screen and slap the hypocrisy off that jackass. Goodevil

I don't care whether "I'm right" or not. We could find evidence tomorrow that disproves stuff we already know - that's how research and science works. You're the one using unreasonable labels. There are many types of people who choose to follow a vegetarian or vegan diet for some length of time - and they do it for a wide variety of reasons. I put the evidence on the table at the start because Jennybee says she has evidence she wants me to look at, and I'm happy to do so. I'm not trying to be patronising, I was simply showing her where the evidence that has lead to the creation of the standard 5-food group model diets is, and it's extensive, etc.

And it's true that most people do not know where the evidence is - and in fact even those who do are happy to ignore evidence that conflicts with their beliefs due to motivated reasoning, groupthink, cognitive biases, assumptions, logic, prejudices, and a whole range of other reasons.

As for your fallacious comment labelling me a climate denier: Heisenberg said "an expert is someone who knows some of the worst mistakes that can be made in his subject, and how to avoid them". Health is my subject, not climate science, where I've made mistakes I'm more than happy to be corrected.

I respect Jenny and as I said before, I don't at all think she's a lesser person or any more foolish than me, and if I implied that I'm sorry because I don't believe that at all.

I did not say I had evidence that I *wanted* you to look at. I was responding to an earlier post you made in this thread and to your post in the meat thread, which I wasn't going to respond to because as I said many times over I'm done with that thread. But you came in here to this thread and posted this:

"I'm not going to read what has been said about this by others in the past, because I already know from experience that people believe they have the right to decide what is right and wrong with diet without consideration of the evidence.

For Jennybee's case let's look at a different application of her position. She does not like the texture or taste of meat. My 30 year old brother does not like the texture or taste of vegetables, and yes he never eats them. Well let's just say he eats very little vegetables or fruit in his daily diet. You can't reason with or expect my brother to eat something he genuinely dislikes, even if we know it's good for him."

That is why I mentioned that I also looked at many studies that found vegan diets to have health benefits and added the part about the studies you mentioned that all can be remedied by supplements. Those were also findings in several studies. I then said, I do not want to get into a debate with you over this because I'm done with this topic right now, but I can post the studies for you if you would like to read them. You chose to disregard that and gave me an essay on your stance.

You then add at the end that you respect me. Respecting someone is understanding that when someone is upset about a topic and that person says they don't want to talk about it right now, respecting them is not talking about it.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like jennybee's post
29-01-2017, 09:07 AM (This post was last modified: 29-01-2017 09:18 AM by Aractus.)
Right, as I said I'm happy to look at any evidence you wish to bring forward. All I was intending in my earlier post is to show where dieticians have found the evidence lies. I'm certainly interested to continue learning in this area, and I'm not claiming to understand it. I am really sorry if I've upset you, as I said that was not my intention. I have moved that post to the other thread.

My Blog
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-01-2017, 09:38 AM (This post was last modified: 29-01-2017 09:42 AM by GirlyMan.)
(28-01-2017 10:31 PM)Aractus Wrote:  Any decent nutritionist will tell you dietary supplements are considered a last resort.

For essential dietary requirements I agree, but there are supplements used for other purposes than nutrition (nootropics for example) and many of those do not occur naturally at all.

(28-01-2017 10:31 PM)Aractus Wrote:  It's very difficult to find and recognise good quality supplements in the first place, without laboratory tests. I actually would not know where to start, ...

Why is it difficult? You start with those distributors and suppliers who provide independent COAs for all of their ingredients. A reputable supplier is happy to show you the results of the independent laboratory tests (especially since that's the main reason you're paying them a premium).

(28-01-2017 10:31 PM)Aractus Wrote:  We also know nutrient absorption form all types of supplements is significantly lower (with the exception of B12) than from natural food sources, meaning if you need 18mg of iron per day from meat, then you'll need more than that from a supplement.

Don't think that's true. With supplements there are all sorts of things you can do to increase bioavailability which you can't do with natural products. You can micronize them making them so small they're much easier to metabolize, you can mix them with ingredients known to increase the bioavailability of its companion molecules like Tween80 and piperine (which is why you should pepper your food), you can alter the molecular structure to make it easier/harder to metabolize (the artificial L-glucose or left-handed sugar is identical to regular naturally occurring glucose in every way except it is the molecular mirror image which turns out to be indigestable), you can extract, isiolate, and concentrate the active ingredient (like curcumin form tumeric or resveratrol from grapes), and many other things technology allows.

(28-01-2017 10:31 PM)Aractus Wrote:  If you just go and buy supplements off the shelf you'll be doing yourself more harm than good.

True. But supplementing safely and designing my own nootropic-heart health-bllod sugar stack is not as difficult as you suggest. Never buy without COAs and google the shit out of it first so you have some concept of the MOA. Pubmed is your friend.

#sigh
29-01-2017, 09:56 AM
Oh for fuck's sake, Aractus, what is wrong with you?

Have you no shame?

Even if everything you say is 100% true, verified by every possible test and beyond all reasonable contestation with little likelihood of new discoveries making it wrong in the near future (as so often seems to happen with nutritional science... like dairy, eggs, and butter being good, then bad, and then good for us again), this was still the worst possible place for you to assert your position.

This is social deafness on a scale I could not have imagined for anyone who isn't a drive-by.

For a member of this community to behave as you just did is just nuts. Is it really possible for a human being to be so tone-deaf and, frankly, dense? I mean, do you interact with humans in the real world, at all? If you're this dense amid an internet forum community, I can't imagine how bad it must be in real life.

Clearly, even Paleophyte's attempt to smack you hard enough for you to wake the fuck up and then shut the fuck up wasn't enough, so now it's time for another less-than-subtle reminder:

[Image: 5d9ba957b17b13ac040c4098a6943db5.jpg]

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 7 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
29-01-2017, 10:38 AM
Some folks just have such a bee in their bonnet they cannot let it go. Social skills 101 I'm afraid either that or assburgers.
29-01-2017, 10:56 AM
I just don't understand what it matters what people put in their stomachs.

She could eat glass, dirt, maggots, horse flies, broom handles, and as I said earlier...shit on a house shingle and guess what.....

I DON'T CARE

There are so many other problems in the world why should anyone care what's in Jenny's stomach? Cause...guess what......Laugh out load

[Image: i-dont-care.png]

Laugh out load Lighten up people. This is silly. Hobo

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 5 users Like dancefortwo's post
29-01-2017, 11:00 AM
(29-01-2017 10:56 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  why should anyone care what's in Jenny's stomach?

I would care if there was a baby in there lol

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
29-01-2017, 11:26 AM
I hope you reconsider, Jen. You're a beautiful person and we're richer for you being here.

(28-01-2017 11:59 PM)Aractus Wrote:  I never said you aren't healthy, jennybee! And it's fine if you don't want to discuss it. My point is that evidence needs to be looked at in relation to the overall grade of evidence, and that's something most people are unaware of (and not to mention unqualified) to do. There can be very convincing individual studies, but they don't necessarily prove a hypothesis. For example there were some excellent studies that suggested that formula feeding might cause or trigger food allergies in children, but more recently other studies concluded that it doesn't. So right now it's an unanswered question that requires further investigation. And even if it turns out to be true, it's not going to explain the huge increase in food allergies that has happened over the past decades, it'll only be a small part of it.

Dude, if you're fine with not discussing it, why insist on discussing it?

Seriously, have you considered the thought that this exact behavior is why she doesn't feel comfortable around here? Get a fucking clue already.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
29-01-2017, 11:30 AM
(29-01-2017 11:26 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I hope you reconsider, Jen. You're a beautiful person and we're richer for you being here.

(28-01-2017 11:59 PM)Aractus Wrote:  I never said you aren't healthy, jennybee! And it's fine if you don't want to discuss it. My point is that evidence needs to be looked at in relation to the overall grade of evidence, and that's something most people are unaware of (and not to mention unqualified) to do. There can be very convincing individual studies, but they don't necessarily prove a hypothesis. For example there were some excellent studies that suggested that formula feeding might cause or trigger food allergies in children, but more recently other studies concluded that it doesn't. So right now it's an unanswered question that requires further investigation. And even if it turns out to be true, it's not going to explain the huge increase in food allergies that has happened over the past decades, it'll only be a small part of it.

Dude, if you're fine with not discussing it, why insist on discussing it?

Seriously, have you considered the thought that this exact behavior is why she doesn't feel comfortable around here? Get a fucking clue already.

Its gotta be assburgers, I mean which part of please stop doesn't he understand?