Use at your own risk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-09-2017, 08:53 AM
Use at your own risk.
Is this still a valid statement - or have we become a society that is willing to assume the risk for others, regardless of how much risk a person individually takes?

For instance --

Should a person' s medical costs be covered by society if the individual participates in risky behavior?? Smoking/ lung cancer, risky sex/ HIV, alcohol abuse/ liver damage.??

Or paying for hurricane damage that occurs to a dwelling that is built in an area where damage is not only likely, but probable??

I am of the opinion that you are free to do as you like.

I' m just not in favor of picking up the tab.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
20-09-2017, 08:59 AM
RE: Use at your own risk.
I find this whole thing a red herring.
There is no separation between the individual and society.
Society is made up of individuals who to various degrees contribute to society.
In the instance of government run health coverage all people are paying into a pool exactly the same as insurance.
The healthy always pick up the tab for the sick. That's the nature of insurance.
In terms of hurricane damage it's taxes that we pay into a "pool".
Personally I'd rather see the money go to fix damage of natural disasters than contracts for political contributors and powerful lobbying interests.
Anything that puts my/our tax dollars into our communities rather than corporate welfare gets my vote.
We pay taxes. I don't mind that. But I'd like to see it used for regular people.

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
[+] 5 users Like BikerDude's post
20-09-2017, 09:04 AM
(20-09-2017 08:59 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  I find this whole thing a red herring.
There is no separation between the individual and society.
Society is made up of individuals who to various degrees contribute to society.
In the instance of government run health coverage all people are paying into a pool exactly the same as insurance.
The healthy always pick up the tab for the sick. That's the nature of insurance.
In terms of hurricane damage it's taxes that we pay into a "pool".
Personally I'd rather see the money go to fix damage of natural disasters than contracts for political contributors and powerful lobbying interests.
Anything that puts my/our tax dollars into our communities rather than corporate welfare gets my vote.
We pay taxes. I don't mind that. But I'd like to see it used for regular people.

I need some new glasses.

You pay for it.

That's only fair, huh??

Send me an address I can send the billing.

Smile

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
20-09-2017, 09:07 AM
You raise a good question, but I don’t think the answer is simple at all. Some people are genetically inclined to engage in risky behavior or have genes that nudge them in the direction of substance abuse. Some people may have mental disorders for which they’re trying to self-medicate.

Every place has some risk of natural disaster, whether it’s from flood, drought, earth quake, fires, hurricanes, or tornadoes. Sure, some places have higher risk, but these cities were long established long before weather patterns started becoming more severe. It’s just not practical to uproot millions of people and flood the housing market with displaced Floridians or Texans. If you added 1M people to existing cities, how expensive might it be to update the infrastructure with roads, hospitals, schools, businesses, houses and municipal services? It seems to me that the best solution is to keep people in their existing communities and continue to improve the infrastructure to withstand the changing weather patterns.
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post
20-09-2017, 09:14 AM
What I am not willing to pay for is reckless behavior, like people climbing snowy mountains and getting caught in avalanches and such. They need to pay for their own rescues. Climbing up there was entirely their own stupid decision.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
20-09-2017, 09:23 AM
(20-09-2017 08:53 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Is this still a valid statement - or have we become a society that is willing to assume the risk for others, regardless of how much risk a person individually takes?

For instance --

Should a person' s medical costs be covered by society if the individual participates in risky behavior?? Smoking/ lung cancer, risky sex/ HIV, alcohol abuse/ liver damage.??

Or paying for hurricane damage that occurs to a dwelling that is built in an area where damage is not only likely, but probable??

I am of the opinion that you are free to do as you like.

I' m just not in favor of picking up the tab.

Dude, you live off of like $15K/year, you're not picking up anyone's tab on the $1K you pay in federal and state taxes. And if you're even paying $1K you ain't working it right.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
20-09-2017, 09:27 AM (This post was last modified: 20-09-2017 09:52 AM by BikerDude.)
(20-09-2017 09:04 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I need some new glasses.
You pay for it.
That's only fair, huh??
Send me an address I can send the billing.
Smile

No WE pay for it.
You and everybody else.
And that's not a good example.
You need $1,000,000 of treatment for brain cancer.
You pay for it? No. And I don't care if you have insurance or not. There is simply no way that you have paid $1,000,000 into it.
We as human beings capable of thought realize that all of us may be stricken with a malady that we simply will not have the resources to deal with. And it will be no fault of our own. But as sentient individuals we understand that most people won't ever be so stricken and so by dividing the cost across the society at large no one is bankrupt. I really think this is a very basic concept. It's a central concept to any society.

[+] 4 users Like BikerDude's post
20-09-2017, 09:35 AM (This post was last modified: 20-09-2017 10:49 AM by BikerDude.)
(20-09-2017 09:14 AM)Dom Wrote:  What I am not willing to pay for is reckless behavior, like people climbing snowy mountains and getting caught in avalanches and such. They need to pay for their own rescues. Climbing up there was entirely their own stupid decision.

It doesn't matter.
Let people do what they want and as a whole the world will turn and business will carry on as usual. There won't be a sudden explosion of new mountaineers who have just been waiting for the gravy train to pull into the station.
Some people like to climb mountains. Some like to sit around and watch snot dry.
Other like to take a giant wang in the butt. Maybe we should have license plate readers at the drive through at McDonalds so we can scratch all the fat asses off the list?
It goes on and on. In the end everybody just needs to get over it.
Taken as a whole people are pretty much going to work and raising family's and living life. If there are certain groups that constitute a drain it is about the same percentage as it has always been.
And the biggest drain on society comes from the ongoing effort on the part of the most powerful to take as much from everyone else as they can manage. Subverting democracy and freedom in the process.
Working as hard as they can to keep people divided when in reality most people share about 99% of the same interests.
The 1% of differences that people have is used to keep the electorate divided. We pay taxes. Demand something for it. And while we are at it get as much out of the rich fucks as we can manage. What goes around comes around.
Come together and we can not be defeated!

[+] 1 user Likes BikerDude's post