Use of word Christian

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-06-2013, 08:22 PM
Use of word Christian
It seems to me, in more recent years, people are flying the Christian flag. When I was growing up, we never heard someone referred to as a Christian, just that they went to church, didn't go to church, maybe which church. Christian wasn't bandied about like it is now. "I go to the Christian school". Not me, I go to the heathen school. They seem to think using this word gives them special status.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-06-2013, 08:47 PM
RE: Use of word Christian
Yeah, I just really hate it when they use it to imply they are a better person, more moral, etc., using "Christian" as synonymous with "good." That's what bothers me. Like politicians saying they're "church going," as if that's a reason to trust them or vote for them.

I think talking schools and so on is because some of them now think they are a persecuted minority because people complain when they want to enact their religious views into law.

My aunt just got a job teaching at a Catholic school, and went on and on about how she used to pray in school during the moment of silence, even though "it's not allowed." It IS allowed, you can think whatever you want during a moment of silence, you just can't, as a teacher, lead the students in prayer. I don't see how that's a problem. They think if it's a xian prayer it should be ok, but they would pitch a fit if someone led their children in a Muslim prayer during school hours.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-07-2013, 03:24 PM
Something a lot of evangelists don't understand is that prayer is time spent looking inward, for a few moments of piece. They also bypass the part in the bible where Jesus says to closet your beliefs. Yesterday at a lunch a lady at our table, a devout believer, interrupted a conversation between myself and another to tell us god listens to everything and knows what we are talking about. We let it go but a few moments later, she and her husband rudely interrupted us again to pray over their food. My father told us that if we wished to give thanksgiving for a meal in a restaurant, doing it in the car in private, before we arrived, would still work. We were not influenced one way or the other, just about good manners.
15-07-2013, 03:50 PM
Why the word "Christian"? Because they hate each other almost as much as they hate us! But they know that if they approach their own convictions, even among themselves, they will fight! They" know" that anyone outside of their religion is doomed to hell! But they need each other! Life is proving them wrong everyday! So they are making allies! In an attempt to win a war they are destined to lose!
15-07-2013, 03:57 PM
(15-07-2013 03:50 PM)Ameron1963 Wrote:  In an attempt to win a war they are destined to lose!

If humans breed themselves into overpopulation, ignorance and poverty, they will win.
15-07-2013, 05:04 PM
morondog:

"If humans breed themselves into overpopulation, ignorance and poverty, they will win."

Here's why I think they can't win: They will continue to have their foolish ideas, while the world will continue on its course. They will continue to have to modify their foolish ideas, as they always have, while true knowledge continues to "evolve". Overpopulation and pollution, global warming, will become issues they can't deny. Religions evolve. Ask ANY Christian how they feel about cutting the hands off thief's. They know these ideas are in their bible! But they are sweeping them under the rug as fast as they can! No. They can't win. Self preservation! That is, and will always be, the first commandment! I proclaim it!!!! "Thou Shalt Survive!"!!!
15-07-2013, 05:10 PM
Um. . . And all beautiful women shalt be naked before me and . . .
[+] 1 user Likes Ameron1963's post
15-07-2013, 09:54 PM
I use it all the time. It's my sons name Big Grin

And, no, I'm not irony impaired!!! Wink
[+] 5 users Like aurora's post
16-07-2013, 01:03 AM
(15-07-2013 05:04 PM)Ameron1963 Wrote:  Here's why I think they can't win: They will continue to have their foolish ideas, while the world will continue on its course. They will continue to have to modify their foolish ideas, as they always have, while true knowledge continues to "evolve". Overpopulation and pollution, global warming, will become issues they can't deny. Religions evolve. Ask ANY Christian how they feel about cutting the hands off thief's. They know these ideas are in their bible! But they are sweeping them under the rug as fast as they can! No. They can't win. Self preservation! That is, and will always be, the first commandment! I proclaim it!!!! "Thou Shalt Survive!"!!!

Religions evolve, precisely to survive. In a world where everyone is struggling just to survive, where education is rare... that is a fertile ground for a religious revival. Everyone wants to believe that there's something better out there for them. And religion has been and can be again, the tool to control the seething masses of humanity. It *suits* those who are powerful to have an easy tool like this to control people. It doesn't suit them at all to have critical thinkers stirring people up and not buying their bullshit. Having said that, humanity has made such progress in the last 50 odd years that maybe the genie is really out of the bottle, and religion's days truly are numbered... but I wouldn't discount them just yet, they can still come back.
16-07-2013, 09:44 AM
morondog

"In a world where everyone is struggling just to survive, where education is rare... that is a fertile ground for a religious revival."

You make a very good point here, And I have to admit to thinking locally, rather than globally. Still, with the spread of the internet and ever increasing access to information, I am hoping that the genie *is* out of the bottle! More than that! Some fool kicked over Pandora's box! But you are right: The religious have been very resilient! If enough religious monkeys get together behind their keyboards, they just might put together a brand new god who is a really big hit!