Useful illusion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-03-2014, 12:55 AM (This post was last modified: 31-03-2014 01:00 AM by mknight.)
Useful illusion
When atheists challenge believers, should they be concerned about taking away a potentially useful illusion?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-03-2014, 01:00 AM
RE: Useful illusion
(31-03-2014 12:55 AM)mknight Wrote:  When atheists challenge believers, should they be concerned about taking away a potentially useful illusion?

No. Drinking Beverage

Also, I fail to see how any religious delusions are 'useful' outside of comfort and consolation; and comfort and consolation built upon lies is false comfort and consolation. So even then, no.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
31-03-2014, 01:03 AM
(31-03-2014 01:00 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  No. Drinking Beverage

Also, I fail to see how any religious delusions are 'useful' outside of comfort and consolation; and comfort and consolation built upon lies is false comfort and consolation. So even then, no.

Perhaps in the ways of power and control?

If so, that's horrible and evil, and should be reason enough to get rid of it completely.

"Good news, everyone!"
-Cody
31-03-2014, 01:05 AM
(31-03-2014 01:00 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(31-03-2014 12:55 AM)mknight Wrote:  When atheists challenge believers, should they be concerned about taking away a potentially useful illusion?

No. Drinking Beverage

Some can't handle losses constructively; these illusions can be useful.
31-03-2014, 01:06 AM
I believe the word is delusion.

And no.

I would not challenge another person's child about her religious beliefs, but I certainly would an adult. Just saying I'm atheist is a problem to most creationists. So then, the game is on.

But I can tell you, they will be offended but not changed---more like self-righteously justified.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
31-03-2014, 01:08 AM
(31-03-2014 01:05 AM)mknight Wrote:  
(31-03-2014 01:00 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  No. Drinking Beverage

Some can't handle losses constructively; these illusions can be useful.

Right, so will they ever learn how to handle them constructively if all you ever do is coddle them and reinforce the lie?

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
31-03-2014, 01:11 AM
(31-03-2014 01:06 AM)Dee Wrote:  I believe the word is delusion.

And no.

I would not challenge another person's child about her religious beliefs, but I certainly would an adult. Just saying I'm atheist is a problem to most creationists. So then, the game is on.

But I can tell you, they will be offended but not changed---more like self-righteously justified.
I think the word illusion is also applicable. Some adults are not prepared to handle this.
31-03-2014, 01:15 AM

Yes, and no.

Yes, in the sense that it's worth taking the time to examine whether religion a potentially useful illusion, and because if it were so that might... maybe... prompt further questions as to which was the lesser of evils.

No, because religion doesn't clear even that hurdle. There's not a single useful thing realized by belief in religion, that cannot be had without. EDIT: That holds true for coping with death and loss, too.
31-03-2014, 01:25 AM
(31-03-2014 01:15 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  

Yes, and no.

Yes, in the sense that it's worth taking the time to examine whether religion a potentially useful illusion, and because if it were so that might... maybe... prompt further questions as to which was the lesser of evils.

No, because religion doesn't clear even that hurdle. There's not a single useful thing realized by belief in religion, that cannot be had without. EDIT: That holds true for coping with death and loss, too.
Not everyone can manage his emotions so well. For those, belief in the afterlife may well be the most effective way of dealing with the loss of a loved one or addressing the fear of obsolescence.
31-03-2014, 07:00 AM
(31-03-2014 01:25 AM)mknight Wrote:  
(31-03-2014 01:15 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  Yes, and no.

Not everyone can manage his emotions so well. For those, belief in the afterlife may well be the most effective way of dealing with the loss of a loved one or addressing the fear of obsolescence.

[Image: RealityampTruth03copy.png]

[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post