Useful illusion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-03-2014, 07:07 AM
RE: Useful illusion
(31-03-2014 12:55 AM)mknight Wrote:  When atheists challenge believers, should they be concerned about taking away a potentially useful illusion?

One of the hardest parts of my deconversion was realizing that no one was looking out for me except me. There was no big brother out there, no supernatural guiding force. I wasn't special. And it's not an easy pill to swallow. In the long run it has been helpful, but in the moment it hurt. A lot. This is one of the reasons why I don't try to deconverted my family, who have a sort of modern abstract kind of religion. It works for them and its not hurting anything.

Dissilusioning someone of faith and separating them from literalist fundamentalist bull crap are different, and the second needs to be done without delay.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-03-2014, 07:33 AM
(31-03-2014 07:07 AM)natachan Wrote:  
(31-03-2014 12:55 AM)mknight Wrote:  When atheists challenge believers, should they be concerned about taking away a potentially useful illusion?

One of the hardest parts of my deconversion was realizing that no one was looking out for me except me. There was no big brother out there, no supernatural guiding force. I wasn't special. And it's not an easy pill to swallow. In the long run it has been helpful, but in the moment it hurt. A lot. This is one of the reasons why I don't try to deconverted my family, who have a sort of modern abstract kind of religion. It works for them and its not hurting anything.

Dissilusioning someone of faith and separating them from literalist fundamentalist bull crap are different, and the second needs to be done without delay.
I wasn't suggesting 'deconversion', just a gentle nudge toward critical thinking.
31-03-2014, 07:40 AM
(31-03-2014 07:33 AM)mknight Wrote:  
(31-03-2014 07:07 AM)natachan Wrote:  One of the hardest parts of my deconversion was realizing that no one was looking out for me except me. There was no big brother out there, no supernatural guiding force. I wasn't special. And it's not an easy pill to swallow. In the long run it has been helpful, but in the moment it hurt. A lot. This is one of the reasons why I don't try to deconverted my family, who have a sort of modern abstract kind of religion. It works for them and its not hurting anything.

I wasn't suggesting 'deconversion', just a gentle nudge toward critical thinking.

You said worrying about "useful illusions." This is belief or faith in a nutshell.
31-03-2014, 07:42 AM
(31-03-2014 07:07 AM)natachan Wrote:  One of the hardest parts of my deconversion was realizing that no one was looking out for me except me. There was no big brother out there, no supernatural guiding force. I wasn't special. And it's not an easy pill to swallow. In the long run it has been helpful, but in the moment it hurt. A lot. This is one of the reasons why I don't try to deconverted my family, who have a sort of modern abstract kind of religion. It works for them and its not hurting anything.

I felt that, but I was also simultaneously relieved. While there was no one looking out for me, there was also no intelligent force behind floods, earthquakes, and childhood diseases. So while the answer to "why did that tsunami kill so many people?" is "lolrandom", I also don't have to make excuses for the world's most prolific serial killer anymore.

That was a big part of me not believing. I couldn't see an all-loving god in this world, and once I could let that go, it felt great.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post