Useless recitation of previous posts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-09-2017, 02:23 PM
RE: Useless recitation of previous posts
(04-09-2017 02:41 PM)JAH Wrote:  ... During that time I have become more and more angry about the frequency which some posters here repeat previous posters instead of answering them. Yes it may take a few words but a little cleverness will take care of that. The most egregious is when someone quotes a previous post that contains multiple quotes itself...
It would be helpful if you could give more details regarding what you're talking about. Even though you say its frequent, I can't think of an instance where someone repeated another person's post and didn't answer it. I'm also wondering if by "repeat" you really mean "quote". If so, there is a clear separation of quotes from new text so I don't see an issue there. You can completely skip reading the quotes if they bother you. However, quotes have at least 2 useful functions - they tell which poster is being replied to and sometimes they narrow the text down to a specific part which indicates exactly what is being replied about. So I wouldn't advise skipping them entirely - maybe just skimming to get the connection if you don't want to read each whole quote.

Maybe your complaint is when people quote an entire post when they are only replying to one specific part and then you have to reread the entire quote to figure out which part? Just guessing here, so that's why some details would help. Yes

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-09-2017, 02:46 PM
atheistforums.org has the most annoying quote features I've ever seen.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-09-2017, 04:29 PM (This post was last modified: 19-09-2017 04:37 PM by JAH.)
adey67, I have been able to read for more then a year. Properly it would have read "I have only been able to read posts on this forum and could not post myself".

In this mode I cannot look back to see previous posts, but for those who want a classic example of what I am talking about it is there. Someone responded to a rather simple question about avoiding opening videos. The response quoted my OP the post that contained the question and gave their response. All the quoted stuff was at most 5 percent germane to their post.
19-09-2017, 04:34 PM
adey67, I was able to look back after the above post and see you were right in the middle of what I was talking about.
23-10-2017, 02:27 PM
I am resurrecting the dead but so what. Yes GirlyMan my name is a reference to JAH and somehow I missed the lovely Bob Marly song you provided.
23-10-2017, 02:46 PM
(04-09-2017 02:41 PM)JAH Wrote:  For reasons only known to the machinery of this forum I have not been able to post for some time. But now I am back and I am bad. Some of this will show in posts on specific subjects and some will show now.

I have only been able to read for I don't know, maybe a year maybe more. During that time I have become more and more angry about the frequency which some posters here repeat previous posters instead of answering them. Yes it may take a few words but a little cleverness will take care of that. The most egregious is when someone quotes a previous post that contains multiple quotes itself. Please all curb yourselves.

Now I have to charge my battery so I can be bitchy on other subjects.

I have absolutely no clue how to respond to this.

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
23-10-2017, 03:36 PM
(19-09-2017 04:29 PM)JAH Wrote:  adey67, I have been able to read for more then a year. Properly it would have read "I have only been able to read posts on this forum and could not post myself".

In this mode I cannot look back to see previous posts, but for those who want a classic example of what I am talking about it is there. Someone responded to a rather simple question about avoiding opening videos. The response quoted my OP the post that contained the question and gave their response. All the quoted stuff was at most 5 percent germane to their post.

Got ya mate this makes much more sense sorry for any misunderstanding.
24-10-2017, 04:46 AM
(23-10-2017 02:27 PM)JAH Wrote:  I am resurrecting the dead but so what.

Huh A dead what?

Cool trick if you can do it.

On the off chance you mean this thread...well it's only from September...so it's more of a resuscitation then a resurrection.

Angel

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard