User Privilege Changes - Enabled the user promotions system

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-05-2011, 10:50 AM (This post was last modified: 02-05-2011 11:23 AM by DeepThought.)
User Privilege Changes - Enabled the user promotions system
Due to recent events I've decided to be slightly stricter on what new users can do.

As of now new users can no longer delete their own threads and posts or give other users reputations. I also disabled the edit feature for new users.
Those features can be easily abused to vandalize threads so certain amount of trust needs to be earned before enabling them.

All our regular users and older members have been moved to the "TTA Regular Poster" Group which lets them edit and delete their own posts and alter peoples reputations.

The promotions task runs regularly and once certain criteria are met a user will be automatically promoted to the regular posters group..

I haven't nailed down what those criteria are yet.. It can be based on post count, reputation and time registered. Any combination of those.

At the momment people in the new group currently have blue usernames so it's easy to know which group you are in. Don't worry this stuff will be improved upon over the next few days.. It's not all set in stone yet.

More to come tomorrow...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-05-2011, 02:13 PM
RE: User Privilege Changes - Enabled the user promotions system
I'm not new :'<

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]
02-05-2011, 04:02 PM
(02-05-2011 02:13 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  I'm not new :'<

The new group is "regular poster" which is shown by the users name in blue. "New users" names are in grey.

Just visiting.

-SR
02-05-2011, 08:57 PM
Ahh, I was wondering why my name is blue! xD Sounds good. Big Grin But why disable the Edit function for new members? o.o I know I have to use it a lot in order to avoid double or even triple posting. Tongue

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-05-2011, 09:31 PM
Hey DeepThought here are my suggestions. New members should be under a 24/48 hour trial and in order to be moved from a member on probation to Member they would need at least 2 posts. Normal members would have the regular color again but probation members would have a light blue or what ever color you would like to make them.

A member legend would also be a great addition at the bottom of the forum. You could also add this news to the news area at the top of the forums. So new members would either have to wait 48 hours before moving to a normal member or make at least 2 posts before they can start editing their threads. I think editing your own post shouldn't require much since people make typos and etc.
02-05-2011, 09:59 PM
I have to agree with ebilekittae, I do use edit a lot, and I wouldn't want that taken away from me(and via sympathy, I don't want that taken away from our new members). I think that post of out newbies can be trusted with full editing privileges.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
02-05-2011, 10:43 PM
Yes. Edit is important, typo's are really annoying...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
02-05-2011, 10:49 PM
(02-05-2011 09:59 PM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  I have to agree with ebilekittae, I do use edit a lot, and I wouldn't want that taken away from me(and via sympathy, I don't want that taken away from our new members). I think that post of out newbies can be trusted with full editing privileges.

I have plans to address all your concerns with the editing functionality. Right now what I want to do isn't supported by the system though.

After some code changes my planned implementation will be that new users have a time limit set on how long new posts can be edited. eg: 5 minutes.

Right now this is a global setting and I don't want to restrict everyone (people who aren't moderator or higher) to the 5 minutes.

See the flip side of the editing and post deleting functionality is eg: - You debate with someone, and they start editing their earlier posts, generally being dishonest, deleting earlier posts. Previously users were able to delete their own threads as well which deletes everyone elses posts on that thread.

That sort of thing is vandalism, so I am implementing these features to help protect our forum. This allows us to establish a level of trust/reputation with users.

This system also gives me a strategy to deal with people who go out of their way to be offensive and disruptive. And people who abuse the forum creating lots of threads and posts of repetitive and inane nonsense.

To deal with that I can allocate a special 'dunce' group that has even more limits imposed like limits on Posts per day. I could partially automate that with privileged members who can assign reputation using the Reputation system. Eg: Reputation below -2 the promotions system moves them to the 'Dunce' group. Once they demonstrate they can behave members can add reputation and the promotions system will move them back to a group with less restrictions.

I could trial it and see if it works. I can limit the amount of reputation a member can assign to a user. I'd hate to see it being abused since rep on this forum has only been used as a number so far. Not for group promotions/demotions

I think it's possible for a member to remove the reputation you gave someone. Can someone in 'tta regular posters' check that for me please?

Another thing I plan to implement shortly is a basic version of sock account protection. It monitors the IP of each person logging in against usernames.

Our current system already discourages sock accounts since every time they make one and get banned which forces them to open an new email account and answer the signup captcha. It's allot of work for very little reward...
I haven't seen that djudgementX guy around for a while. The new removal tool kicks ass.. literally. So easy to use - so little effort to undo all of his work.

Cheers.
02-05-2011, 10:52 PM
(02-05-2011 10:49 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  See the flip side of the editing and post deleting functionality is eg: - You debate with someone, and they start editing their earlier posts, generally being dishonest, deleting earlier posts. Previously users were able to delete their own threads as well which deletes everyone elses posts on that thread.
I understand the reason, but did that ever happened on this forum?

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
02-05-2011, 11:40 PM (This post was last modified: 02-05-2011 11:43 PM by DeepThought.)
I'm actually inclined to set a time limit in general for all editing. I'll just make it a couple hrs or a day for regular posters.

Does anyone usually have need to go back and edit a day later? Another idea is I could make editing functionality dependent on the forum. Our coffee house could have long or unlimited edit times.
The Atheism/Theism and Science forum etc could have shorter edit times. In some forums accuracy is more important and when you have once person say something and another person responds and then the original person edits their post it can get confusing and that should be avoided if possible. Especially if you can edit posts from a few months ago and the system doesn't hold any trace of what was there originally.