User Privilege Changes - Enabled the user promotions system

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-05-2011, 12:13 AM
RE: User Privilege Changes - Enabled the user promotions system
LEVEL UP!

So this is why my username is now blue.

Now tell me good sir, how can I distribute my new stat points and how do I unlock more abilities? Tongue

"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”
-Georgia Harkness.

"La fe es patrimonio de los pendejos. (Faith is patrimony of the dumbfucks)."
-Diego Rivera
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes MasterRottweiler's post
03-05-2011, 06:14 AM
Just ensure me that me having a dynamic wireless IP and visiting my parent's house with different IPs won't set anything off now or in the future.
Find all posts by this user
03-05-2011, 06:55 AM
(03-05-2011 06:14 AM)Snuff Wrote:  Just ensure me that me having a dynamic wireless IP and visiting my parent's house with different IPs won't set anything off now or in the future.

Using the forum from 2 IP's has nothing to do with sockpuppet detection. I don't see why the ISP account someone signs in from should affect anyone at all.

The sockpuppet detection features once implemented will only come into play if someone is abusing the forum from your IP address. I already thought this through. I know how this stuff works. Wink

I.e. a user is banned and a person shortly after signs into another account from the same IP. It will then be red flagged.

It wont be doing stuff totally automated. There will be minor admin intervention required to drive the system.
03-05-2011, 07:38 AM
I really respect what you've done for the forum, so please don't take this in any way as me just bitching (I really love most of the changes! Big Grin), but imho it wouldn't really even be a problem to me if people were dishonest and edited their posts in a deceptive way. We've always seemed to be able to handle tricksters in the past. Tongue

Maybe it is a real problem and I'm just not seeing it, but I actually do wind up editing my posts over time. Tongue I see typos I've made even as late as a month after and (pardon my whining) it would really bug me not to be able to edit it. Not to mention I do on occasion (not sure I've done it on this forum yet) like to edit my OP to a thread I make when it's a matter of expressing worry over something, so people don't think a problem is going on after it's been resolved.

The edit restrictions definitely wouldn't kill me or even hurt, but... I kind of see them as unnecessary restrictions. Maybe it's just me. Tongue

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
03-05-2011, 08:08 AM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2011 08:44 AM by DeepThought.)
Ok, I'd like more feedback on this. Also - if I added inline spelling checks would that mostly resolve this issue?

Kittae you poke your tongue out at me allot! Tongue I'm not sure what I should do.

I recommend everyone also read the other thread I posted on this topic. It explains allot of the reasoning behind doing this, like fairness for all users etc.

To be honest people deceptively editing posts does kindof bothers me, even though we have had much of this before I don't want to encourage that kind stuff.
I think it ruins the forum - when I read a thread I want to know i'm getting an accurate representation of what happened. It editing a post can affect everyone who replied to it and the context of the thread.

I'm leaning on the side of either putting editing on a time limit for all users, or having new users demonstrate they can be trusted with ~50 posts or so.
Every opinion helps. I want an idea of what the general consensus is on that.

My original plan was to put new users on a edit time limit and trusted users having mostly the same functionality as before.
[+] 1 user Likes DeepThought's post
03-05-2011, 08:37 AM
LOL sorry! The ":P" is a habit I gained on another forum a few years ago that never went away. xD I subconsciously do it to let people know what I'm saying is completely light-hearted. Tongue Please excuse my excessive tongue exhibitionism. xD

EDIT: Oh, and not to ignore your comment about the spell-checker, it's kind of moot for me since I actually have one built in my browser. I just get typing and random things pour out. xD

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
03-05-2011, 08:56 AM
Trusted users could require at least 25 posts. Also again what do you think about adding a member legend? Also a spell checker would be nice but yea I too have one in my browser as most modern ones do Big Grin
03-05-2011, 09:00 AM
Isn't there a way to keep both versions? Let's say when i edit my post, that before my changes are saved a copy of the original is archived somewhere only moderators can reach? It doesn't even have to be public, as long as moderators can provide the original when there's a complaint the problem is solved right? This way nobody else has to see the sometimes awkward spelling mistakes you make and there can also be no discussion about an edited post's actual content.
03-05-2011, 09:15 AM
I just don't see how the number of posts is an indicator of someone being trustworthy. If there are to be restrictions on editing posts, I think it should apply to everyone. If someone REALLY needed a post edited because of content, then there's always the option of asking one of us to go in and edit it. At least that way it is being done by someone who can be more objective in determining whether altering the post in the way requested will also alter the message or be decietful. (Not that the staff is more objective, but that it is someone other than the writer).

Also, I have concerns about using reputation as a way to "earn privledges". The fact is, some of the users here don't use the reputation system at all. The result would be a user gaining privledge through the opinions of some, but it wouldn't be representative of the membership as a whole. ie. I am JoeUser. I don't use the rep system, meaning I don't give out rep points whether I respect someone or not. I think JaneUser is a great person, with excellent integrity. She ruffles a lot of feathers, so doesn't get many points, and therefore doesn't gain privledges. How is this representative of the membership as a whole?

Just some food for thought.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
03-05-2011, 09:18 AM
The proof is in the pudding:

I just tried to edit my post above after noticing the " Tongue " turned up only as ":P". My mind is commencing freak out mode at not being able to correct such a horrible mistake. Meltdown is imminent.

LOL!

I'll live. Tongue

EDIT: I completely agree that upping privilege should not be handling by rep. I'm one of those users who never gives it out when I should. Tongue I give plenty of likes, though! 8D