User Privilege Changes - Enabled the user promotions system

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-05-2011, 09:21 AM
RE: User Privilege Changes - Enabled the user promotions system
I kinda agree with Stark but usually someone that posts on this type of forum (TTA Subject and General Audience it reaches out to) is usually not going to be like the ones you find who spam underground forums to gain privileges. You could require 25 posts, certain amount of time spent on the forums and at least a few likes and 1-2 reputation.

I personally think regular users (me included) shouldn't be able to delete their own posts or threads but should be able to edit them as long as they like. Giving the option to delete a users own threads can be dangerous to the community because someone who has provide a lot of threads and organic material could one day be upset and decide to delete material. This can be dreadful and I don't know how often you make a backup but restoring them can be a pain especially once the forum database is quite large. SSH or not it's a headache.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2011, 09:40 AM
My hope is to implement this in a way that most people don't even know there are limitations in place. I.e. Time limit on edit for new users. Once they are promoted - same as before.

Does that sound fair? I don't think most people would notice that restriction. Especially new users - unless they dig up these threads...
03-05-2011, 10:49 AM
I definitely agree that users should not be allowed to delete posts and threads. Especially threads, since they are in effect deleting other peoples posts as well.

I would say:

1) For new users, go with the minimum post thing until they are an established part of the forum. (I think we can leave the number of posts and/or other requirements to DeepThoughts discretion)

2) Once established, a member can edit their posts as they see fit, with the understanding that if this is abused, administration will deal with it as they see fit. (ie. remove privledges)

3) Noone may delete posts or threads. If they feel there is a valid reason to do so, they would need to contact administration, and it will be dealt with on a case by case basis. (I actually suspect this will happen very rarely, if ever. I know that for me, you'd have a hell of a time convincing me to delete something. If you don't want it out there for the public to see, don't post it in the first place)

I will address the idea of adding mods with DeepThought in private. I do think it's a valid suggestion, but we would have to determine what exactly the mods would do, and what limitaions to apply. Once we come up with something a little more concrete, we'll post it here for discussion. I may sound like a broken record, but remember: this is YOUR forum. Share your feedback, and if something seems unfair to you, don't be afraid to say so. DeepThought and I are here often, so if you feel the need, you can always PM either or both of us.

Just visiting.

-SR
03-05-2011, 11:35 AM
The 30 minute edit block is in effect for us as well? This I didn't know. I tried to add a wallpaper to my original thread in this forum (Ideas, etc) and could not so I had to double post. I don't think this is a good idea IMO.
03-05-2011, 11:42 AM
(03-05-2011 11:35 AM)Snuff Wrote:  The 30 minute edit block is in effect for us as well? This I didn't know. I tried to add a wallpaper to my original thread in this forum (Ideas, etc) and could not so I had to double post. I don't think this is a good idea IMO.

As per my suggestion above, that would be removed and established members would be free to edit as they see fit. I take it that the suggestion above is a go for you?

Anyone else?

Just visiting.

-SR
04-05-2011, 01:01 AM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2011 01:27 AM by DeepThought.)
Ok, Now only new users should be affected by a 15 minute editing limit.

That just leaves me to decide what parameters to set that promote users to the trusted group for edit without time limit.

I hope most people are happy with this solution, I'd like to thank everyone for all the feedback and time you all have put in to help me resolve this. Smile

Edit: I have currently set the promotions system to promote users that have more than 30 posts and have been registered for over 30 days and have a reputation of 0 or more.
[+] 2 users Like DeepThought's post
11-05-2011, 09:26 PM

Yep, I'm in blue and I can edit but I can't delete a post. I don't have permission?
Quote this message in a reply
12-05-2011, 06:31 AM
(11-05-2011 09:26 PM)GassyKitten Wrote:  Yep, I'm in blue and I can edit but I can't delete a post. I don't have permission?

Deleting posts is no longer allowed. If you want a post deleted just report it and give the reason. A moderator will get around to it then.
12-05-2011, 02:47 PM
I hope it's not based on a post count, personally. I've been on a great many forums over the years and I've seen more than one destroyed by people who believed post count equalled greatness, which lead to an endless series of "+1" type threads and drove off all the people doing actual discussion.

Plus, on one forum I've been a member of for 7 years, my post count only recently broke 100. I'd like to think my posts matter, even if I don't make a lot of them.

Except on the Facebook group, where I post way too much.

For God so loved the world that he arranged for everyone to both have free will and to suffer the terrible consequences of making the wrong choice. Kind of a dick move, God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-05-2011, 04:34 PM

(12-05-2011 06:31 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  
(11-05-2011 09:26 PM)GassyKitten Wrote:  Yep, I'm in blue and I can edit but I can't delete a post. I don't have permission?

Deleting posts is no longer allowed. If you want a post deleted just report it and give the reason. A moderator will get around to it then.

Bummer!
I previously enjoyed the privilege of deleting posts after I realized I said something completely stupid, or not in the proper context. Destroying the evidence as it were. Tongue
Now I have to contend with the "edit" note that appears on posts after I try to fix my flub ups, which isn't any better. It's like saying, "Hi! I'm mouthy and inaccurate in text speak!" Only in a tidy little note that reminds people. Blah!
[Image: 2.gif]

[Image: 12.gif]

Blah!
Quote this message in a reply