User Privilege Changes - Enabled the user promotions system

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-05-2011, 03:00 AM
RE: User Privilege Changes - Enabled the user promotions system
(12-05-2011 04:34 PM)GassyKitten Wrote:  Bummer!
I previously enjoyed the privilege of deleting posts after I realized I said something completely stupid, or not in the proper context. Destroying the evidence as it were. Tongue
Now I have to contend with the "edit" note that appears on posts after I try to fix my flub ups, which isn't any better. It's like saying, "Hi! I'm mouthy and inaccurate in text speak!" Only in a tidy little note that reminds people. Blah!
[Image: 2.gif]
[Image: 12.gif]
Blah!

ha, well I can add something that stops the 'edited' note from appearing if you edit it within x minutes of creation. I was planning to do that at some stage.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-05-2011, 05:40 AM
(12-05-2011 02:47 PM)Bezo Wrote:  I hope it's not based on a post count, personally. I've been on a great many forums over the years and I've seen more than one destroyed by people who believed post count equalled greatness, which lead to an endless series of "+1" type threads and drove off all the people doing actual discussion.

Plus, on one forum I've been a member of for 7 years, my post count only recently broke 100. I'd like to think my posts matter, even if I don't make a lot of them.

Except on the Facebook group, where I post way too much.

For this forum post count doesn't matter unless you want the ability to edit posts without time limit.

This system was put in place for a reason.. (see earlier posts)

The way I see it people shouldn't need to edit their posts unless they are posting regularly anyway..

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
18-06-2011, 10:26 PM
(23-05-2011 05:40 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  
(12-05-2011 02:47 PM)Bezo Wrote:  I hope it's not based on a post count, personally. I've been on a great many forums over the years and I've seen more than one destroyed by people who believed post count equalled greatness, which lead to an endless series of "+1" type threads and drove off all the people doing actual discussion.

Plus, on one forum I've been a member of for 7 years, my post count only recently broke 100. I'd like to think my posts matter, even if I don't make a lot of them.

Except on the Facebook group, where I post way too much.

For this forum post count doesn't matter unless you want the ability to edit posts without time limit.

This system was put in place for a reason.. (see earlier posts)

The way I see it people shouldn't need to edit their posts unless they are posting regularly anyway..

I've been here for a while now, and participated a bit, why my name is'nt blue yet? SadHuh

By the time you stop ready this, you'll realze what a waste of time it has been Big Grin
19-06-2011, 02:33 AM (This post was last modified: 19-06-2011 02:57 AM by Efrx86.)
(18-06-2011 10:26 PM)Maumin Wrote:  I've been here for a while now, and participated a bit, why my name is'nt blue yet? SadHuh

Post count maybe? Try reaching 25-30 posts, maybe that'll do it.

By the way, I support preventing the 'edited' note from appearing within x minutes of creating a post. I edit a lot to add info or correct basic mistakes and it's kind of a bummer to have the 'edited' note appear on my post just because of a small change less than 5 minutes (for instance) after creating it. It'd be sort of a 'grace period'. After 5 minutes and/or more than, say, 2 edits, I'd totally deserve the 'edited' note, but within the first 5 minutes I'd like to be able to edit out minor mistakes and/or add additional text and keep the look-and-feel of a completely new post. Anyone trying to abuse this feature during a speedy discussion can be easily trumped by people quoting that user.

The God excuse: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument. "God did it." Anything we can't describe must have come from God. - George Carlin

Whenever I'm asked "What if you're wrong?", I always show the asker this video: http://youtu.be/iClejS8vWjo Screw Pascal's wager.
19-06-2011, 09:39 AM
Yes, post count. I get that some people post less than others, but the fact is we decided to impliment a system that would help to prevent abuse. We needed parameters, and those parameters are never going to be perfect for everyone. The only thing you don't have is a blue name and editing privledges. It's not a big deal.

As for the "edited note", I think DeepThought is going to change that as indicated from his earlier post. We haven't discussed it yet, but I'm fine with it. I'm not sure why it's a big deal though. Does it matter if your post says it was edited if it was? If it's a big concern, you can always SAY it was only edited for grammar or whatever.

You have just begun reading the sentence you have just finished reading.
19-06-2011, 11:20 AM
(19-06-2011 09:39 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Yes, post count. I get that some people post less than others, but the fact is we decided to impliment a system that would help to prevent abuse. We needed parameters, and those parameters are never going to be perfect for everyone. The only thing you don't have is a blue name and editing privledges. It's not a big deal.

As for the "edited note", I think DeepThought is going to change that as indicated from his earlier post. We haven't discussed it yet, but I'm fine with it. I'm not sure why it's a big deal though. Does it matter if your post says it was edited if it was? If it's a big concern, you can always SAY it was only edited for grammar or whatever.

Yikes, I'm on my way over to spam something around here Big GrinTongue j/k

You're right, no biggy, just wondering....

By the time you stop ready this, you'll realze what a waste of time it has been Big Grin
19-06-2011, 01:09 PM
Heh, you're right, that's me being picky about the look-and-feel of a post.

The God excuse: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument. "God did it." Anything we can't describe must have come from God. - George Carlin

Whenever I'm asked "What if you're wrong?", I always show the asker this video: http://youtu.be/iClejS8vWjo Screw Pascal's wager.