Using Facebook as a Selling Tool

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-05-2016, 10:56 AM
Using Facebook as a Selling Tool
I've got some wonderful friends -- I'm lucky that way. But lately holy crap everyone is selling crap.

Two friends sell cleaning stuff.
Four friends selling makeup.
Another friend sells diet plans
Yet another friend sells this woo-ish garbage (cleansing crystals)
Two people sell jewelry
Yet another is heavily into 'essential oils.'

Each person has their own page, where they talk about how wonderful their products are. Then there's the backhanded shaming if you don't buy anything -- like you're not supporting them...

The biggest problem I have with this is that I can buy makeup for far less than the $40 price or $30 mascara...don't get me started on how expansive the skin care stuff is. $80 for an eye serum that's exactly the same as Clinique that I can get at the mall for $35 (not to mention, the Clinique bottle is bigger).

Or $120 mop....for real.

I've asked them to stop adding me to their groups (I know I'm not the only one to do this) -- so now they're all posting a meme....

[Image: 2ls7ifl.jpg]

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
26-05-2016, 11:28 AM
RE: Using Facebook as a Selling Tool
I hate when people do that. Undecided For me, I like to keep personal and business separate. And in my opinion, when your friends start selling stuff and then expect you to buy it or else you're not "being supportive" then it changes the relationship. Or, confuses it.

If I'm friends with someone, I want to be friends and that's all. The seller/consumer relationship is different and more detached. God I am not explaining this very well. But it's kind of the same way I see having co-workers be friends - I can be friendly up here at work and I feel genuine affection for the women in my department but I don't want a relationship with them outside of the workplace. We are co-workers. Not after-hours buddies.

But maybe I draw too many lines. Tongue

[+] 6 users Like Escape Artist's post
26-05-2016, 11:44 AM
Make a meme stating how it hurts your family to buy things at twice the price. Thumbsup
[+] 6 users Like pablo's post
26-05-2016, 11:48 AM
SO ANNOYING!

Tell your friends that if you're in the market for the products they're selling, you will consider giving them your business if they can offer you quality and value.

I don't know about anyone else, but I just don't happen to be in the market for healing crystals or an expensive mop.
[+] 5 users Like Aliza's post
26-05-2016, 11:59 AM
(26-05-2016 11:28 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  I hate when people do that. Undecided For me, I like to keep personal and business separate. And in my opinion, when your friends start selling stuff and then expect you to buy it or else you're not "being supportive" then it changes the relationship. Or, confuses it.

If I'm friends with someone, I want to be friends and that's all. The seller/consumer relationship is different and more detached. God I am not explaining this very well. But it's kind of the same way I see having co-workers be friends - I can be friendly up here at work and I feel genuine affection for the women in my department but I don't want a relationship with them outside of the workplace. We are co-workers. Not after-hours buddies.

I agree with you on the first paragraph, but I don't see anything wrong with being friends with a co-worker outside of work if ... it works Tongue ahah I mean, you don't have to if you don't want to, but you can be both, no? Tongue

Anyway, my strategy with this situation is usually ignore lol On a slightly unrelated note, I have a friend on FB which keeps sharing photos of her nail art thing. I hate those velociraptor nails, are there people who really find them attractive? Damn.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The Polyglot Atheist's post
26-05-2016, 12:04 PM
(26-05-2016 11:28 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  I hate when people do that. Undecided For me, I like to keep personal and business separate. And in my opinion, when your friends start selling stuff and then expect you to buy it or else you're not "being supportive" then it changes the relationship. Or, confuses it.

I feel the same way. I love seeing the squishy baby (or grand baby) photos, cheering their good things (like moving, new jobs or whatever).

Also, I've noticed I'm getting far more "likes" from them than I ever did before. Laugh out load it's as though they're paying attention to what I post, because now they see me as a potential client. Facepalm

This is all in addition to the political drama, I'm trying to avoid -- but then again, all the people selling crap, aren't posting political stuff at all....Consider

Maybe those pro-Trump (or anti Hillary) friends of mine are afraid of losing business?

(26-05-2016 11:44 AM)pablo Wrote:  Make a meme stating how it hurts your family to buy things at twice the price. Thumbsup

There's got to be one...I can't be the only one, right?!

(26-05-2016 11:48 AM)Aliza Wrote:  SO ANNOYING!

Tell your friends that if you're in the market for the products they're selling, you will consider giving them your business if they can offer you quality and value.

I don't know about anyone else, but I just don't happen to be in the market for healing crystals or an expensive mop.

The crystal selling chick (like the essential oil) cracks me up tho. Blush

I remained in her group for the humor.

But yes, it's totally annoying.

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
26-05-2016, 12:06 PM
Competing meme:
Kylie Jenner didn't take your kid to karate, I did.
Michael Jordan didn't hold your hand while you mourned your mom: I did.
Patti labelle didn't bring the brownies to your barbecue: I did.
And I did all of that for free.
I'm your friend, not a customer.
[+] 12 users Like julep's post
26-05-2016, 12:08 PM
Yeah, I agree. It bugs me when people use facebook as a way to advertise to me. Going along with a friend's product often means going along with something where people are recruited as private vendors for some larger scheme. It's like, "dude just because you got roped into this scheme doesn't mean I'm interested in helping you out."

And I generally try to not add co-workers to facebook while we still work together. I'll make some rare exceptions, but in general I don't need to have my FB info be workplace knowledge (my profile is set to private).

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 2 users Like Adrianime's post
26-05-2016, 12:14 PM
Emotional blackmail. I hate it.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
26-05-2016, 12:16 PM
(26-05-2016 12:06 PM)julep Wrote:  Competing meme:
Kylie Jenner didn't take your kid to karate, I did.
Michael Jordan didn't hold your hand while you mourned your mom: I did.
Patti labelle didn't bring the brownies to your barbecue: I did.
And I did all of that for free.
I'm your friend, not a customer.

Holy shit!!!!

I absolutely love this!!!!!

[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post