Using Pantheism to convert Theist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-05-2016, 02:14 PM
Using Pantheism to convert Theist
Everyone here should know that the word "Atheist" bears with it some very negative connotations for most theist. The instant they discover you're an atheist the walls go up and your de-conversation often goes nowhere. I've recently discovered that if I label myself a "pantheist" instead of an "atheist" 2 things happen.

1. Theist don't know what pantheism means. It sounds spiritual though so they view you as less of a threat than an atheist.

2. You can use all the same arguments against religion and sometimes plant seeds a little deeper than you'd be able to as an identified atheist.

Pantheism is my trojan horse.

It works.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-05-2016, 02:18 PM
RE: Using Pantheism to convert Theist
Why do you seek to deconvert people in the first place? Consider

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Vosur's post
11-05-2016, 02:23 PM
(11-05-2016 02:14 PM)Lucash21158 Wrote:  Everyone here should know that the word "Atheist" bears with it some very negative connotations for most theist. The instant they discover you're an atheist the walls go up and your de-conversation often goes nowhere. I've recently discovered that if I label myself a "pantheist" instead of an "atheist" 2 things happen.

1. Theist don't know what pantheism means. It sounds spiritual though so they view you as less of a threat than an atheist.

2. You can use all the same arguments against religion and sometimes plant seeds a little deeper than you'd be able to as an identified atheist.

Pantheism is my trojan horse.

It works.

You should try also using the word agnostic. That's also something many don't know the meaning to. When I was gnostic people would ask "what did you say you are again, agnostic?" then I'd always have to correct them and say 'gnostic', then they'd ask me what gnostic means.
[+] 1 user Likes smileyjose86's post
11-05-2016, 04:54 PM
I don't really care about using the term or label "atheist" if anything it's the strength of the word that I like and it makes it seem like I'm taking this shit seriously. A pantheist is all well and good, I have no issues with them, not that I've met very many but apparently Einstein was pantheist so that's cool.

I used to say I was agnostic or simply non-religious for a long time because I was afraid to insult anyone but I'm an atheist, I'm not trying to convert anyone to atheism either. If they want to understand why I'm an atheist I will happily debate them and they wont' have a chance of converting me so why should I expect them to change their mind? Honestly some people may need religion to be happy, I'd hate to take that away from them but I do think we need more education and awareness of atheism and trying to use other labels will muddy the waters.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes SitaSky's post
11-05-2016, 06:29 PM
I've often wondered why people expect us to be defined by whether or not we believe in the fever dreams of men several eons dead.

Why can't we just call each other by name?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
12-05-2016, 07:00 AM
(11-05-2016 02:18 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Why do you seek to deconvert people in the first place? Consider

I was thinking the same thing. Don't lower yourself to their level.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
12-05-2016, 07:34 AM
I largely agree with what other people have said, but it does remind me of a particular statement by Sagan from Cosmos in regards to taking an argument of something like Pantheism one step skipped.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
12-05-2016, 07:48 AM
I don't really give a shit to deconvert people. It's too hard most of the time and most likely just to give you an ulcer. More fun to deflate the evangelists. Also since I dislike evangelism in general I consider it rude to counter-evangelise. People should decide shit for themselves. Critical thinking more important than specific beliefs.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
12-05-2016, 08:44 AM
It's also important to only present arguements where using the 'God used magic to make it happen' line becomes too farfetched for them to use to win the discussion.