RE: Using Stem Cells to Revive the Brain Dead,
Watch out for the abnormal ones.

[Image: OgVPT39.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like pablo's post
12-06-2017, 07:14 PM
(12-06-2017 03:26 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  It's not being done, anywhere.

Sure it has. Rosie Grier and Ray Milland. 1972

If you do nothing else with the rest of your life, you MUST see this movie.

Sorry, I digress...
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post
12-06-2017, 10:29 PM
(12-06-2017 03:45 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(12-06-2017 03:26 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  At it lived ? Prove it with references ?
It's not possible.
Period.

Technology doesn't care what you believe. Tongue

"Head transplants have been performed on dogs, monkeys and rats by surgeons, although all the animals were unable to move and died shortly afterwards."

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
13-06-2017, 05:47 AM
(12-06-2017 10:29 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(12-06-2017 03:45 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Technology doesn't care what you believe. Tongue

"Head transplants have been performed on dogs, monkeys and rats by surgeons, although all the animals were unable to move and died shortly afterwards."

The fact that the first subjects died isn't really the point.

The first heart transplant patients died too; now, heart transplants are pretty much routine with up to 5000 happening every year.
13-06-2017, 06:24 AM (This post was last modified: 13-06-2017 07:55 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(13-06-2017 05:47 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  
(12-06-2017 10:29 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  "Head transplants have been performed on dogs, monkeys and rats by surgeons, although all the animals were unable to move and died shortly afterwards."

The fact that the first subjects died isn't really the point.

The first heart transplant patients died too; now, heart transplants are pretty much routine with up to 5000 happening every year.

Yeah it is the point, and death isn't the only problem. The problem is THEY DIDN'T MOVE. Cardiac surgery was a well developed science by the time cardiac transplantation started. There is no comparison between the two. Cardiac transplantation is mostly a vascular surgery, connecting major vessels in an organ that is FAR simpler than a brain and nervous system. Neurosurgery AND vascular surgery are simply not even in the ballpark ready to do this. Neurosurgery can't even repair a partially severed spine yet.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
13-06-2017, 10:57 AM
(12-06-2017 10:29 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(12-06-2017 03:45 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Technology doesn't care what you believe. Tongue

The monkey lived 9 days and could smell, see, taste, and hear. It died from immunorejection but remember that immunosuppressants were in their infancy in 1970.

(13-06-2017 06:24 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Yeah it is the point, and death isn't the only problem. The problem is THEY DIDN'T MOVE. Cardiac surgery was a well developed science by the time cardiac transplantation started. There is no comparison between the two. Cardiac transplantation is mostly a vascular surgery, connecting major vessels in an organ that is FAR simpler than a brain and nervous system. Neurosurgery AND vascular surgery are simply not even in the ballpark ready to do this. Neurosurgery can't even repair a partially severed spine yet.

There is a direct comparison. The head transplants performed to date have been essentially vascular. The body of the donor supplies the head with blood and oxygen and other shit to stay alive. So it is essentially just an organic life support system for the brain. But this is not to say technology is not even in the ballpark. You, like most, fail to appreciate that technology is growing at an exponential rate. We already have chemical compounds which can promote NGF and BDNF for neuronal protection and regeneration. Why would you think technology is not close to developing drugs for regenerating spinal cord cells?

Modulation of the proteoglycan receptor PTPspromotes recovery after spinal cord injury

#sigh
13-06-2017, 11:36 AM
Using Stem Cells to Revive the Brain Dead,
(12-06-2017 07:14 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  
(12-06-2017 03:26 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  It's not being done, anywhere.

Sure it has. Rosie Grier and Ray Milland. 1972

If you do nothing else with the rest of your life, you MUST see this movie.

Sorry, I digress...

I watched about half this movie last night and will finish it tonight. Funny as hell.

Oh fuck, when whitey woke up attached to a brother it was hilarious.
[+] 1 user Likes KUSA's post
13-06-2017, 11:39 AM (This post was last modified: 13-06-2017 11:46 AM by Mathilda.)
I developed a lesion on the top of my spine in March, the myelin sheath stripped away and I was diagnosed with MS. In the space of a week I went from really being dexterous to not being able to use a knife and fork, sign my name or dress myself. I have got a lot better but still have irritation around my face and impaired sensation in my fingers. The range of symptoms I experienced though was extremely varied, uncomfortable and lasted for many weeks, from pins and needles all over my body, numbness to the point of feeling frostbitten, a lack of sensation, feeling like I was buoyant, not being able to sense temperature, not being able to control where my limbs were or how fast I moved them because my proprioception was impaired etc. I hit myself in the face more than once purely by accident to the point where I drew blood. And this was from one lesion to the sheath surrounding the nerves which meant that electrical impulses could not travel so far or fast. It made me appreciate just what a living hell it would be to have your head transplanted.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
13-06-2017, 11:43 AM (This post was last modified: 13-06-2017 11:49 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(13-06-2017 10:57 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  There is a direct comparison. The head transplants performed to date have been essentially vascular. The body of the donor supplies the head with blood and oxygen and other shit to stay alive. So it is essentially just an organic life support system for the brain. But this is not to say technology is not even in the ballpark. You, like most, fail to appreciate that technology is growing at an exponential rate. We already have chemical compounds which can promote NGF and BDNF for neuronal protection and regeneration. Why would you think technology is not close to developing drugs for regenerating spinal cord cells?

Because I work in a major research institution and no one like this gets up and walks, or moves autonomously. No one. If this were in progress, the major demyelinating diseases would be in the past. They aren't. They didn't "connect" the nerves and nervous system in the spine to the brain. It's at least 25 to 50 years out.

13-06-2017, 12:11 PM (This post was last modified: 13-06-2017 12:21 PM by GirlyMan.)
(13-06-2017 11:43 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Because I work in a major research institution and no one like this gets up and walks, or moves autonomously. No one. If this were in progress, the major demyelinating diseases would be in the past. They aren't. They didn't "connect" the nerves and nervous system in the spine to the brain. It's at least 25 to 50 years out.

I've worked in a major research institution for a decade longer than you've been alive and I contend that you do not appreciate what the term "exponential growth" in technology means. I've seen it, you haven't. I'd give it 5 years.

#sigh