Using Stem Cells to Revive the Brain Dead,

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-06-2017, 12:18 PM
RE: Using Stem Cells to Revive the Brain Dead,
(13-06-2017 12:11 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(13-06-2017 11:43 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Because I work in a major research institution and no one like this gets up and walks, or moves autonomously. No one. If this were in progress, the major demyelinating diseases would be in the past. They aren't. They didn't "connect" the nerves and nervous system in the spine to the brain. It's at least 25 to 50 years out.

I also work in a major research institution and have for longer than you've been alive and I contend that you do not appreciate what the term "exponential growth" in technology means. I'd give it 5 years.

Look pops, my first post on TTA was to *you* about Kurzweil and his Singularity. Tongue
I do get what exponential growth means.
You could be right, but academic trials take a lot of time, and years. I don't hear any talk about MS cures, and Neurosurgery is still struggling with the basics, as I see it. How many years have they been working on HIV, and just now found a possible vaccine ? I hope you're right. I'm sticking with 25-50. But cancer cures, and designer immunology, ... THAT is here pretty quick. I also don't see much about stem cell muscle re-growth in hearts, which I thought would be much further along by now.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-06-2017, 12:28 PM (This post was last modified: 13-06-2017 12:33 PM by GirlyMan.)
(13-06-2017 12:18 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Look pops, my first post on TTA was to *you* about Kurzweil and his Singularity. Tongue
I do get what exponential growth means. How many years have they been working on HIV, and just now found a possible vaccine ?

And how many years and how much did it cost did it cost to sequence the human genome? Now anybody can get it done for $100 from a swab of saliva. That is what exponential growth looks like.
[Image: genome-sequencing-timeline_zpsigkebhyn.jpg]

(13-06-2017 12:18 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  You could be right, but academic trials take a lot of time, and years. I don't hear any talk about MS cures, and Neurosurgery is still struggling with the basics, as I see it. I hope you're right. I'm sticking with 25-50.

We've already got neuro-prosthesis. Restoration of reaching and grasping movements through brain-controlled muscle stimulation in a person with tetraplegia: a proof-of-concept demonstration

(13-06-2017 12:18 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  But cancer cures, and designer immunology, ... THAT is here pretty quick. I also don't see much about stem cell muscle re-growth in hearts, which I thought would be much further along by now.

I'm not saying stem-cells are the answer because I don't know enough to say. But I do think that whatever stem cells are capable of doing we can design chemical compounds which replicate that behavior exogenously through epigenetic expression.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
13-06-2017, 12:49 PM
(13-06-2017 12:28 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  And how many years and how much did it cost did it cost to sequence the human genome? Now anybody can get it done for $100 from a swab of saliva. That is what exponential growth looks like.

Just sent mine in. Spit in the tube. Wait 6-8 weeks. Find out I'm a Neanderthal. Weeping
(free shiping though Yes )

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
13-06-2017, 12:56 PM
Quote:The fact that the first subjects died isn't really the point.

But it is a big drawback.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
17-06-2017, 06:20 AM
I think it would be more interesting to be able to sustain a human brain in a vat, especially if you could simulate a reality for that brain that basically makes it a paradise for them.

How could you find a donor body for a brain? Seems like whoever had that body would probably have some damage to it that made their body available for a transplant.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
17-06-2017, 06:39 AM
(13-06-2017 12:49 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Just sent mine in. Spit in the tube. Wait 6-8 weeks. Find out I'm a Neanderthal. Weeping
(free shiping though Yes )

You inspired me.

Did the same thing a few days ago.

Looking forward to the results!
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post
17-06-2017, 07:31 AM
(17-06-2017 06:20 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  I think it would be more interesting to be able to sustain a human brain in a vat, especially if you could simulate a reality for that brain that basically makes it a paradise for them.

How could you find a donor body for a brain? Seems like whoever had that body would probably have some damage to it that made their body available for a transplant.

Agreed. Bodies are too fragile and needy, (unless we learn to turn off genetic "aging").

I've wondered if instead of a biological "brain in a vat" system, the process, (which will happen or be tried at some point, no doubt), will be a sophisticated "scan" (we're not there yet, and the scan may be a PET type technology), and THAT technology will be programmed to "save the *exact* state of the brain at a given point" (which may or may not even be possible, due to Uncertainty) and proceed from there, in a programmed state. So the saved state would "instantly diverge" from the "real me", but if at some point, complex programmed machines are "conscious", then conscious clones could be created.

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post