Using quantum physics to defend a weird worldview?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-08-2010, 09:00 AM
Using quantum physics to defend a weird worldview?
The only other forum Im a member of is a finnish paranormal blog, paranormaaliblogi. net, registered as a sceptic of course. Im not there to bash anyone or anything like that, but to find the best arguments favoring the existance of something supernatural.

I had a couple of good converstations with the founder of the blog, where I defended the idea of an expanding universe and the existance of dark matter and dark energy.
In one thread he gave me a link leading to a text written by him where he states:
1. ''I am everything and everything is me''. The idea of everything being one is supported by quantum physics.
2. Everything that could happen happens somewhere around an other parallel universe or dimension. This is supported by many quantum physicists.
3. A particle can be in many places at the same time untill its place is determined by counsciouness.

Number 2 can be shown to be wrong just by thinking about it for a minute, but is there really some evidence for parallel universes?

What is this whole quantum physics thing, I've heard about it, but if it really claims such things, I hope it has evidence supporting them (it has the word 'physics').

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-08-2010, 09:52 AM
RE: Using quantum physics to defend a weird worldview?
(31-08-2010 09:00 AM)Kikko Wrote:  1. ''I am everything and everything is me''. The idea of everything being one is supported by quantum physics.

Lie.

Quote:2. Everything that could happen happens somewhere around an other parallel universe or dimension. This is supported by many quantum physicists.

No, it is imagined by many quantum physicists. Alternate-universe theory is speculation, nothing more.

Quote:3. A particle can be in many places at the same time untill its place is determined by counsciouness.

Incorrect. "Observed" in quantum physics is not the same as "observed" in normal conversation. In this context, all that is required to collapse the wavefunction - make it actually take a position - is for it to interact with something else.
Even if this is true, I fail to see how it supports the existence of the paranormal.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-08-2010, 10:24 AM
Cool, thanks.
Quote:Even if this is true, I fail to see how it supports the existence of the paranormal.
I dont think he has ever used the 3rd claim to defend anything paranormal, he just mentioned it and it left me wondering.

Accept me or go to hell.
31-08-2010, 10:31 PM
There is a one million dollar prize to anyone who can perform a feat of the supernatural in front of a controlled panel that includes magicians, who would be the best people to spot trickery. This prize has been there for the taking for, I believe, over twenty years.

If the supernatural exists, why has this prize not been claimed?

Why would have not been claimed within hours or days of it being announced?

I lost all my beliefs. God, ghosts, sasquach, U.F.O.s, cospiracy theories, E.S.P., telekinesis, etc.

You can claim anything you want. I won't believe until I see either good evidence or proof.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
01-09-2010, 12:26 AM
Quote:If the supernatural exists, why has this prize not been claimed?
Ive noticed paranormal-believers bitchin about the rules of the 1 million dollar challenge and they also claim that Randi is a pedophile. They say there are some tapes with Randi and little kids, but even if its true, I dont get how it makes anything paranormal more true.

Accept me or go to hell.
01-09-2010, 07:17 AM
(31-08-2010 10:31 PM)No J. Wrote:  There is a one million dollar prize to anyone who can perform a feat of the supernatural in front of a controlled panel that includes magicians, who would be the best people to spot trickery.

Yep. That'd be the James Randi Educational Foundation Million-Dollar Challenge.

I love James Randi. Great guy.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-09-2010, 05:49 PM
(01-09-2010 12:26 AM)Kikko Wrote:  
Quote:If the supernatural exists, why has this prize not been claimed?
Ive noticed paranormal-believers bitchin about the rules of the 1 million dollar challenge and they also claim that Randi is a pedophile. They say there are some tapes with Randi and little kids, but even if its true, I dont get how it makes anything paranormal more true.

Of course paranormal believers will try to smear James Randi. He is asking them to prove what they say, just like we are asking religions to prove what they say and religions try to smear us. What is the difference?
03-09-2010, 02:11 AM
About complaining about the challenge rules: you have to have some kind of publicity to be able to take the challenge and at least one academic must have witnessed your powers.
BUT, thats nothing to complain about, the finnish skepsis ry. has offered 10.000€ for anyone who shows that he/she has paranormal abilities, and the rules seem much more ''fair'' than in the Randis test.
Of course if someone wins the 10.000€, he/she will get enough publicity to take the Randi challenge.

Accept me or go to hell.
03-09-2010, 06:54 AM

This sounds like Deepak Chopra's bullshit (Not that I'm attributing your post to bullshit, Kikko, as I know you do not share these views).

http://skepticblog.org/2009/11/16/deepak...ics-again/
Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2010, 12:34 AM
I have seen Deepak Chopra speak live on two occasions. The first time I don't remember him mangling science very much. The second time was a number of years later and I felt that he was taking more creative licence with his interpretations. That second speech was over ten years ago. I am wondering, is his success corrupting his judgement? I do know that he had a falling out with Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. I wonder if has been a slow deviation of the path and he doesn't know it because he is blinded by success.