Using quantum physics to defend a weird worldview?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-09-2010, 06:01 PM
RE: Using quantum physics to defend a weird worldview?
Every couple of years a new pet theory emerges in physics to explain the origins and nature of existence. A few years ago it was super-string theory. Then it was Brane-world theory. Recently a new theory has taken the fore which says that dark matter isn't actually what we thought, and it somehow causes gravity and not vice versa thus rendering the idea of the graviton obsolete. Until there is a grand unified theory of physics which reconciles all the disparate observations, it's pointless for anyone to assign spiritual epiphanies to them. And it would probably be as pointless even with such a unified theory.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-09-2010, 01:30 PM
(31-08-2010 09:00 AM)Kikko Wrote:  The only other forum Im a member of is a finnish paranormal blog, paranormaaliblogi. net, registered as a sceptic of course. Im not there to bash anyone or anything like that, but to find the best arguments favoring the existance of something supernatural.

I had a couple of good converstations with the founder of the blog, where I defended the idea of an expanding universe and the existance of dark matter and dark energy.
In one thread he gave me a link leading to a text written by him where he states:
1. ''I am everything and everything is me''. The idea of everything being one is supported by quantum physics.
2. Everything that could happen happens somewhere around an other parallel universe or dimension. This is supported by many quantum physicists.
3. A particle can be in many places at the same time untill its place is determined by counsciouness.

Number 2 can be shown to be wrong just by thinking about it for a minute, but is there really some evidence for parallel universes?

What is this whole quantum physics thing, I've heard about it, but if it really claims such things, I hope it has evidence supporting them (it has the word 'physics').

Are you talking about this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj8UdHuP5l8
30-09-2010, 11:20 PM
(31-08-2010 09:00 AM)Kikko Wrote:  1. ''I am everything and everything is me''. The idea of everything being one is supported by quantum physics.
2. Everything that could happen happens somewhere around an other parallel universe or dimension. This is supported by many quantum physicists.
3. A particle can be in many places at the same time untill its place is determined by counsciouness.

Number 2 can be shown to be wrong just by thinking about it for a minute, but is there really some evidence for parallel universes?

Yes, number 2 is wrong.

So is number 1. Quantum physics suggests that the universe is made of one unified field of matter/energy. One drop of water may be a part of the ocean, but that drop IS NOT the whole ocean and the whole ocean IS NOT that drop.

Number 3 appears to be true. That being said, it does not support number 1 and number 2.

What do kids mean by number 1 and number 2? Got it?
01-10-2010, 03:21 AM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2010 03:41 AM by Kikko.)
Quote:What do kids mean by number 1 and number 2? Got it?
No.
No J. Wrote:Number 3 appears to be true.
Unbeliever Wrote:Incorrect. "Observed" in quantum physics is not the same as "observed" in normal conversation. In this context, all that is required to collapse the wavefunction - make it actually take a position - is for it to interact with something else.
True in that way?

Me Wrote:1. ''I am everything and everything is me''. The idea of everything being one is supported by quantum physics.
This was said to make it possible to be connected with anything you want through meditation.
me Wrote:2. Everything that could happen happens somewhere around an other parallel universe or dimension. This is supported by many quantum physicists.
This was said to make everything possible, even super space quinea pigs able to come to our universe and destroy our planet.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
01-10-2010, 09:49 AM
Actually, numbers one and two ARE correct if certain interpretations of quantum mechanics are correct, but only in the sense of potentiality; not as a set of certain descriptions related to our reality. Taking number 2 first: Consider that everything which happens is a cause and everything which follows is an effect of that cause. If any cause is altered, then every effect which follows is altered. Scientists speculate that all potentialities on a time line may exist in parallel universes. If so, then anything which may have happened has happened in some parallel version of here and now.

As for number 1: Scientists have assumed various multi-verse scenarios. One results in a ten dimensional omni-verse, another speculates eleven dimensions. Any single dimension is composed of non-specific points which represent segments on lines and planes. But any dimension is reference-specific. Depth (for example) is only depth until we turn or lie back. Similarly, linear time is only the fourth dimension so long as we are trapped in our current reality. If we could move forward or backward on the line and shift things to explore a different potentiality, we would change the forth dimension to a different one thus making the fifth or sixth dimension the fourth. So on through the other dimensions. Furthermore, as we approach the speed of light, time and space dilate until it all becomes simultaneous - a singularity. Given these theoretic observations, everything is reference dependent and exists concurrently. Or - as a poet might say - "I am everything, and everything is me."
01-10-2010, 02:40 PM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2010 02:56 PM by No J..)
(01-10-2010 03:21 AM)Kikko Wrote:  
Quote:What do kids mean by number 1 and number 2? Got it?
No.

Number 1 is piss and number 2 is shit(poo), at least where I grew up.
(01-10-2010 03:21 AM)Kikko Wrote:  
Me Wrote:1. ''I am everything and everything is me''. The idea of everything being one is supported by quantum physics.
This was said to make it possible to be connected with anything you want through meditation.

I do transendental meditation. It is very relaxing and a great de-stressor. I have yet to see how it makes you one with the universe. It does slow down the part of your brain that is most responsible for self awareness and may give some people the illusion that you are one with the universe. I can see that through some of my meditation experiences. I, unlike many people, need more than a feeling to be sure that such a thing really happens. I need the data, and the data says it is a brain function.

As for what gamutman posted, this thread is getting deep into the theoretical aspects of quantum mechanics. I understand some of it, but I am not as well read as you are in it. I usually wait until these theories get more solidified before I take a super hard look at them.