Using the Internet in an "Internet Blackout"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-07-2014, 02:52 PM
Question Using the Internet in an "Internet Blackout"
I'm trying to imagine a crisis within a state, and the domestic or foreign government shuts the internet down for a region.

While contemplating this, I think it would be nearly impossible to get images or video or the populations messages out. Especially if no objective journalists are allowed in too.

So, this is for the tech guys on this forum. What are some sure fire - and simple - ways to get on the internet in these regions? Enough so you can send emails out with image attachments.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2014, 03:21 PM
RE: Using the Internet in an "Internet Blackout"
Joke answer: carrier pigeons with usb sticks.

Short answer: you can't. It's too infrastructure-dependent. Without every relay along the way there's no connection; ISPs are reliant on a fairly small number of important nodes for most connectivity. The network was designed so that single-point failure wasn't a problem. Whatever kind of blanket action you're imagining would involve disruption at all or nearly all points.

There's a reason it's always portable image/video taken from modern conflict zones. Wires can be cut and relays depowered. Discrete devices can always be smuggled and their contents duplicated.

Real answer: satellites.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply