Usual introductions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-08-2012, 10:31 AM
Usual introductions
Welcome aboard, Grazer. You've already brought out the polite side in Red Celt so you must be all right! Big Grin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2012, 11:03 AM
RE: Usual introductions
(05-08-2012 03:04 AM)Grazer501 Wrote:  Ok, so I'm Graham and I am a Christian. I'm here because of a post on a Christian site from an atheist on how they were there to see both sides of the argument. It sounded like a very good approach so here I am.

A brief history of me. Born in Germany as my Dad was in the Army, moved back to England, when I was 11. I wasn't always a Christian, I changed my belief after a lot of questioning and haven't stopped asking questions, there is no better way to learn for me.

I hope to get involved with the discussions though I probably won't post overly regularly and I'm not always the most eloquent of people so please bear with me.

Any questions, please ask Smile

Hello Grazer, we meet again! Smile welcome to our comfortable abode!

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
05-08-2012, 11:17 AM
Welcome to the forum Grazer.

Keep a few things in mind.....we have a few dickheads around here, but if you ignore the crap that they spill onto the screen, they can be pretty decent thinkers. But I ain't naming anyone. *winkwink*

Also, remember that you are on a forum that not only allows Christians, but welcomes them. That said, we don't moderate, so you'll inevitably have some people get a little (or a lot) nasty. We atheists are the majority here, so if shit gets overwhelming, step away before you walk away.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 5 users Like Stark Raving's post
05-08-2012, 11:49 AM
(05-08-2012 08:58 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(05-08-2012 07:14 AM)Grazer501 Wrote:  Hi

I'm not sure how to approach this question but will give it a go.

I became a Christian when I concluded that it was true. I got to that stage by asking questions both of it and my own (at the time) atheistic world view. I didn't get all the answers but I had enough to make a start. I don't know everything about my fiancé but I knew enough to have asked her to marry me. The Christian faith goes beyond getting answers to intellectual questions, it's about a relationship with God. You learn more about a person by asking them questions and listening to the answers. I don't believe that just because I am a Christian I should stop asking questions about the world or indeed the Christian faith. But given that I've made a commitment to God it beggars belief (to me) I would stop asking questions about him.

There are some very difficult questions about the Christian faith, questions that have not always been handled very well in the past and ones I don't have answers for at the moment. I have enough to get it to make some sense to me. But if you don't even ask the questions, you'll never get any answers.

That's probably just me waffling lol

Grazer501, can you tell us of the process in which you became a Christian? What age did you start thinking about it, who influenced your thinking, when did you decide to make the committment etc.?

Also does God speak to you? Do you feel that God has done things in your life?

Not sure how much detail to go into as I am mindful of where I am. But here goes....

I moved to the Oxfordshire area when I was 26/27 and met a Christian at my new work and got invited round. I accepted and he mentioned he was a Christian. My response was "you won't want to talk to me about religion" We carried on talking at work and he invited me to the alpha course dinner. Chance to cause an argument and have free food Smile I went and was pretty impressed with the testimony and went to the courses. To begin with no one was really answering my questions and then a Christian moved into the house I was sharing. She impressed me with her honesty, she didn't have an air of "holier than thou" and she was just not what I had encountered with other Christians. The guy at work was the same. As I went back to the alpha course I began to realise my thinking had shifted to "what if I'm wrong?"

To cut this a little short, I realised it came down to just a couple of things. The main one was the central claim of the Christian faith; the resurrection. If that really happened, then everything else fitted from there. But there had to be evidence. I said to my house mate "this would be great, life changing, if this is true. But I won't believe it on that basis, there has to be evidence" I found enough evidence that it happened, I found people who helped me understand a little bit about God and eventually gave myself to Christ in my friends living room (that friend was the guy I met at work) I'm working from there ever since.

I think God definitely has been working in my life. I'm not attacking the Christian faith I'm defending it now. I still have issues from my past, I still struggle with some texts in the Bible, I still struggle with the issue of suffering but I know that God is real and trustworthy and he hasn't let me down yet. I can't remember who said/wrote it but I think it's true; faith makes things possible, not easy.
05-08-2012, 11:54 AM
(05-08-2012 11:49 AM)Grazer501 Wrote:  To cut this a little short, I realised it came down to just a couple of things. The main one was the central claim of the Christian faith; the resurrection. If that really happened, then everything else fitted from there. But there had to be evidence. I said to my house mate "this would be great, life changing, if this is true. But I won't believe it on that basis, there has to be evidence" I found enough evidence that it happened, I found people who helped me understand a little bit about God and eventually gave myself to Christ in my friends living room (that friend was the guy I met at work) I'm working from there ever since.
What evidence do you have for the resurrection of Jesus? Drinking Beverage

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Vosur's post
05-08-2012, 11:57 AM
(05-08-2012 11:49 AM)Grazer501 Wrote:  
(05-08-2012 08:58 AM)morondog Wrote:  Grazer501, can you tell us of the process in which you became a Christian? What age did you start thinking about it, who influenced your thinking, when did you decide to make the committment etc.?

Not sure how much detail to go into as I am mindful of where I am. But here goes....

I moved to the Oxfordshire area when I was 26/27 and met a Christian at my new work and got invited round. I accepted and he mentioned he was a Christian. My response was "you won't want to talk to me about religion" We carried on talking at work and he invited me to the alpha course dinner. Chance to cause an argument and have free food Smile I went and was pretty impressed with the testimony and went to the courses. To begin with no one was really answering my questions and then a Christian moved into the house I was sharing. She impressed me with her honesty, she didn't have an air of "holier than thou" and she was just not what I had encountered with other Christians. The guy at work was the same. As I went back to the alpha course I began to realise my thinking had shifted to "what if I'm wrong?"

To cut this a little short, I realised it came down to just a couple of things. The main one was the central claim of the Christian faith; the resurrection. If that really happened, then everything else fitted from there. But there had to be evidence. I said to my house mate "this would be great, life changing, if this is true. But I won't believe it on that basis, there has to be evidence" I found enough evidence that it happened, I found people who helped me understand a little bit about God and eventually gave myself to Christ in my friends living room (that friend was the guy I met at work) I'm working from there ever since.

I think God definitely has been working in my life. I'm not attacking the Christian faith I'm defending it now. I still have issues from my past, I still struggle with some texts in the Bible, I still struggle with the issue of suffering but I know that God is real and trustworthy and he hasn't let me down yet. I can't remember who said/wrote it but I think it's true; faith makes things possible, not easy.

How has god been working in your life? I beg to differ with faith makes things possible. Faith may make one feel better but it will not accomplish tasks. Drinking Beverage

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
05-08-2012, 11:59 AM
(05-08-2012 11:49 AM)Grazer501 Wrote:  
(05-08-2012 08:58 AM)morondog Wrote:  Grazer501, can you tell us of the process in which you became a Christian? What age did you start thinking about it, who influenced your thinking, when did you decide to make the committment etc.?

And the evidence? I don't see any.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
05-08-2012, 12:02 PM
Like Vosur, I am also curious what evidence you found to support the resurrection of Jesus.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
05-08-2012, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the response Smile I've also been on an alpha course - when I was a teenager. I must say the free food was a pretty decent bonus. I took all that stuff super seriously back then... Nicky Gumbel's book... do they still use it? I have a certain amount of nostalgic affection for the things I have left behind.

Be aware that if you bowl preachy-balls to us we're likely to try for a 6. (I presume you Americans can translate into baseball terms, I follow the one true religion which is cricket. I should not have to even state that but the heathens have grown strong since the glory days of the Empire)... and some of us may have a little digsy every now and then to see if we can Satanize you Big Grin And presumably you came prepared to be insulted Wink 'Cos insulting is what we do... mostly without fear or favour. Basically what I'm saying is, you're about due for your first encounter with a hostile alien life form, so hang on to your hat Big Grin
05-08-2012, 01:40 PM
(05-08-2012 12:06 PM)morondog Wrote:  Thanks for the response Smile I've also been on an alpha course - when I was a teenager. I must say the free food was a pretty decent bonus. I took all that stuff super seriously back then... Nicky Gumbel's book... do they still use it? I have a certain amount of nostalgic affection for the things I have left behind.

Be aware that if you bowl preachy-balls to us we're likely to try for a 6. (I presume you Americans can translate into baseball terms, I follow the one true religion which is cricket. I should not have to even state that but the heathens have grown strong since the glory days of the Empire)... and some of us may have a little digsy every now and then to see if we can Satanize you Big Grin And presumably you came prepared to be insulted Wink 'Cos insulting is what we do... mostly without fear or favour. Basically what I'm saying is, you're about due for your first encounter with a hostile alien life form, so hang on to your hat Big Grin

Well the great thing about internet forums is that if it gets out of hand I can simply not come onto the site any more. I will try not to get preachy in terms of saying what you should and shouldn't do (not really my style anyway) but I will talk about what God has done for me as and when appropriate.

Yeah they did use Nicky Gumbels book quite a bit and he was in the DVD's - doesn't sound like much has changed lol

I get the cricket metaphor Smile Think we'll lose the #1 spot to South Africa after this but to be fair, SA have been class and no disgrace losing to them.

Everyone asking for the evidence for the resurrection, I'll put up what I have but I need to tidy it up first. When I've done this before it hasn't been clear why each fact is important so once I've done that, I will put it up for discussion/mocking (delete as appropriate) Smile
[+] 2 users Like Grazer501's post