Utah teachers attend free concealed weapons training class.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-12-2012, 08:21 AM
RE: Utah teachers attend free concealed weapons training class.
(30-12-2012 12:34 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I hardly think the answer to bullets flying around is more bullets flying around.

The direction that the bullets are flying is of critical importance.
If someone at that school had been armed, it is far more likely that fewer people would have died than not.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-12-2012, 08:44 AM
I do think it is slight madness introducing more guns... however I lack an alternative to the problem.

Im sure it will be a good thing but on the laws of average you may get....

...undesirables behind the guns.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
30-12-2012, 11:00 AM
(30-12-2012 08:21 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-12-2012 12:34 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I hardly think the answer to bullets flying around is more bullets flying around.

If someone at that school had been armed, it is far more likely that fewer people would have died than not.
That's complete speculation. You can't possibly know that.
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
30-12-2012, 11:05 AM
(30-12-2012 08:15 AM)germanyt Wrote:  
(29-12-2012 07:37 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I'm not against guns. I'm against people's knee-jerk reactions to violence. What Utah is doing is a knee-jerk reaction to something tragic no one foresaw or could prevent.
People's knee jerk reaction to violence is exactly why we are having this debate. People trying to justify an assault weapons ban for example by using a shooting in which no assault weapon was used is a ridiculous knee jerk reaction that doesn't address the issue. Much less solve it.
I'm sorry I thought this was a discussion about teachers in Utah taking a training class on concealed weapons....No where in this thread have I suggested a ban on anything. Do I (personally) think it could be a bad idea. Yes I personally do. Some disagree -- that's fine too.
30-12-2012, 11:07 AM
(30-12-2012 08:21 AM)Chas Wrote:  

Or they just as easily could have been locked in a class room with a bunch of terrified 1st graders and stayed there with them until the shooting stopped, police arrived and was told it was safe to leave.
30-12-2012, 11:07 AM
(30-12-2012 11:00 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(30-12-2012 08:21 AM)Chas Wrote:  The direction that the bullets are flying is of critical importance.
I can knowledgeably estimate the probability.

30-12-2012, 11:10 AM
(30-12-2012 11:07 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(30-12-2012 08:21 AM)Chas Wrote:  The direction that the bullets are flying is of critical importance.
Or they just as easily could have been locked in a class room with a bunch of terrified 1st graders and stayed there with them until the shooting stopped, police arrived and was told it was safe to leave.

That maniac could have been stopped before he made it to any classroom, or even through the window he shot out to get in past the locked doors.

An armed and trained person in the front office would likely have stopped him dead.

30-12-2012, 11:24 AM
Re: RE: Utah teachers attend free concealed weapons training class.
(30-12-2012 11:00 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  

Yes you can know that. It at least gives you a chance.

Thousands of good people w guns stop/prevent bad people with guns all the time. Just dont expect to see it on the news
[+] 1 user Likes TheBlackKnight's post
30-12-2012, 11:48 AM
(30-12-2012 11:10 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-12-2012 11:07 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Or they just as easily could have been locked in a class room with a bunch of terrified 1st graders and stayed there with them until the shooting stopped, police arrived and was told it was safe to leave.

That maniac could have been stopped before he made it to any classroom, or even through the window he shot out to get in past the locked doors.

An armed and trained person in the front office would likely have stopped him dead.
I can agree with that. An off-duty policeman, might have been able to stop it had there been one there. That's not the same as taking a training class, which is more akin to traffic school, for concealed weapons. I think you'd have to agree the police and military go through far greater training.
30-12-2012, 11:58 AM
(30-12-2012 11:48 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(30-12-2012 11:10 AM)Chas Wrote:  That maniac could have been stopped before he made it to any classroom, or even through the window he shot out to get in past the locked doors.

I can agree with that. An off-duty policeman, might have been able to stop it had there been one there. That's not the same as taking a training class, which is more akin to traffic school, for concealed weapons. I think you'd have to agree the police and military go through far greater training.
I think you have too much confidence in police firearms training and practice.