Utah teachers attend free concealed weapons training class.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-12-2012, 10:30 PM
RE: Utah teachers attend free concealed weapons training class.
(30-12-2012 08:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-12-2012 08:27 PM)happy cricket Wrote:  I'm not a debate expert, I get what you are saying, but I don't entirely follow. I've never been one to throw out logical fallacies like pokemon during a discussion. How is it a strawman? The OP was about teachers being "trained to protect themselves" with concealed weapons.

And the ones that qualify will be allowed to carry weapons. Not "some old woman at the front of the classroom trying to calculate what is happening and trying to remember where her gun is when this shit goes down".

After a 4 hour class they get the permit....and yes I bet everyone of them taking it will qualify.

Actually, I've decided to take the course they offer in Oregon. It's being held by the same company that does the ones in Utah and Arizona. That way I can know exactly what they talk about. After that I'm pretty sure I'll be licensed.

Should be interesting. It's only $60 bucks....might be fun.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-12-2012, 10:37 PM (This post was last modified: 30-12-2012 10:59 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
Also, the class isn't even required in my state, but what the hell, I'll take it anyway. Bonus points right? I've signed up for the $100 course that will allow me to carry a concealed weapon in BOTH Oregon and Utah. A two-fer how cool is that?

Utah has no residency requirement.

[Image: mrhanky.jpg]

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

31-12-2012, 01:51 AM
Re: RE: Utah teachers attend free concealed weapons training class.
(30-12-2012 10:37 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Also, the class isn't even required in my state, but what the hell, I'll take it anyway. Bonus points right? I've signed up for the $100 course that will allow me to carry a concealed weapon in BOTH Oregon and Utah. A two-fer how cool is that?

Utah has no residency requirement.

The FLA non resident permit will get you a lot of states as well. You can find reciprocity maps on the concealed sites, makes road trips easier to stay lawful.
31-12-2012, 03:11 AM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2013 01:40 AM by Aseptic Skeptic.)
1. Huddling the kids away from doors and windows into one big cluster of targets only works if, IF, you can keep the shooter away from the cluster of targets. If the only guy in the school with a gun is the shooter, then he WILL get to those targets if he wants to. Unarmed teachers who try to stop him just die, and the clustered targets are not protected. Any protection you think they have by huddling under their desks in a classroom is only an illusion.

2. Teachers who are willing to die to interpose their flesh between a gunman and the children are going to die. This will do absolutely nothing to keep the shooter away from those huddled children.

3. Armed teachers who try the same thing with gun in hand will probably die too unless they're gun enthusiasts with lots of training and nerves of steel. It takes nerves of steel to stare down an assault rifle and return fire. It takes nerves of steel to deliberately take a human life, even a psychopath child-murdering gunman. Many of these armed teachers won't have the nerves to do what it takes.

4. But some will have the gun and have the nerve to use it. If one such teacher, with a gun and the nerve to use it, had been in Sandy Hook, maybe a few kids might be alive today who aren't. Or maybe not. But it's certain, 100% certain, that those unarmed teachers were completely powerless to do anything to save any children, other than to die along with them as martyrs making a noble gesture. Maybe armed teachers might, just might, make a difference sometimes.

5. Teachers with guns won't snap and kill students. Those teachers who might, well, they would have brought the gun and used it anyway, even without a license to do so. It's funny how the murderous psychos always seem to disregard the laws about owning and using firearms. So making laws that deny teachers (or anyone else) access to guns won't stop the psychos since they ignore those laws in the first place.

6. Will a teacher return fire and inflict collateral damage on students? Maybe. But, odds are, a psycho walking down the hall with an assault rifle isn't leaving too many healthy kids behind him in the line of return-fire from teachers - he's either shot anyone there or there's nobody there. Probably. I'm willing to be that collateral friendly-fire from armed teachers will gun down a smaller number of students than the number that are saved by the occasional John McClane teacher who drops the psycho in the halls before he finishes his killing spree. I would take that bet and send my children to a school where I know the teachers are armed.

7. Yes, I live in Utah, and yes my daughters are both in Utah schools, so I'm not just pissing in the wind here.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post