Utopia.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-01-2015, 06:55 PM
Utopia.
There is a short TV series called "Utopia" that I finished watching not long ago. The plot is a shadowy organisation that genetically modifies corn and introdues it into the human food chain. The modification when combined with a vaccination then makes 9 out of 10 people of the next generation infertile.

One of the lead characters argues that it isnt genocide, because there not actually killing anybody and that the people who are fertile who continue the species will be better off.

From a cold logical sense I can see how reducing the worlds population may in some ways benefit the planet, but then I feel I do not have the right to make that choice over other peoples lifes.

What are peoples views on the idea?

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-01-2015, 07:03 PM
RE: Utopia.
Hey, good thread, great question.

I'm really not sure about this one.

Our first reaction will of course be to reject such intrusive manipulations.

But it's hard to ignore that an ever expanding population with ever expanding expectations, on a planet with finite resource, is a recipe for disaster.

It appears that one way or the other the population is going to be seriously pruned, and one can sure make an argument for the quiet peaceful method, even if it is fascist in nature.

Dunno dude, dunno....
01-01-2015, 07:08 PM
Have you seen Idiocracy?

Makes me almost ok with the prospect of sterilization of stupid people. Dear fucking baby jesus there are some stupid Americans, and they breed like fucking rabbits. And they elect people into the White House... People who have access to nukes...

*Don't mind me. I'm a wee bit bitter and pissed at the world tonight. My "I heart people" and "give a damn" is on vacation (holiday for those of you that don't speak Murican).

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
01-01-2015, 07:12 PM
(01-01-2015 07:08 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Have you seen Idiocracy?

Best documentary ever.
Drinking Beverage

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
01-01-2015, 07:14 PM
At work.

Havn't seen the show but the one, 8mmediate problem with the scenario is the droppong of genetic diversity.

From what I remember, Homo-sapiens-sapiens has already gone through one such event which has brought about some problems. Some one like Metazoazeke probably knows the is and outs better.

Much cheers to all.
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
01-01-2015, 07:17 PM
(01-01-2015 07:14 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  At work.

Havn't seen the show but the one, 8mmediate problem with the scenario is the droppong of genetic diversity.

From what I remember, Homo-sapiens-sapiens has already gone through one such event which has brought about some problems. Some one like Metazoazeke probably knows the is and outs better.

Much cheers to all.

you are right. It is called the great flood!! Globally, only 8 people survived
Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like RogueWarrior's post
01-01-2015, 07:22 PM
(01-01-2015 07:17 PM)RogueWarrior Wrote:  
(01-01-2015 07:14 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  At work.

Much cheers to all.

you are right. It is called the great flood!! Globally, only 8 people survived
Big Grin

Ha ha. Tongue

Much cheers to all
01-01-2015, 07:32 PM
I wonder how do you find out if you're fertile or not? Especially in the case of guys, even if 1/10 is that's pretty dangerous because most of those who are fertile aren't likely to be together in their early prime until people start forcing it and dating websites like OKFertile get formed.

But who would give you a right to do or not do it anyway?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
01-01-2015, 07:40 PM
Morality tends to evolve alongside necessity. Our not so distant ancestors relied heavily on infanticide in order to keep their population in check. The killing of unwanted babies didn't become taboo until larger populations became an adaptive advantage rather than a liability. When we truly reach the point where the number of people is greater than the resources available to sustain them, our perceptions of right and wrong will adapt accordingly out of necessity.

'Murican Canadian
01-01-2015, 07:50 PM
(01-01-2015 07:32 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I wonder how do you find out if you're fertile or not? Especially in the case of guys, even if 1/10 is that's pretty dangerous because most of those who are fertile aren't likely to be together in their early prime until people start forcing it and dating websites like OKFertile get formed.

But who would give you a right to do or not do it anyway?

Pretty sure you jerk the gherkin in a bathroom stall and turn the self love product into the lab - lab tech will view the white goo on a slide and see if your swimmies are swimming

How to slim the pickins:

You think having a mullet after 1998 is still an appropriate hairstyle.
You wear WWF t shirts and think that shit is real
You go to Talledega every year and your cut off rebel flag tee is *not* a costume
Assholes who can't drive
Lindsay Lohan
Pentecostals
Anyone with last name Duggar

Uncle Sam's future health care will enforce that shit. Ok probably not. But it's fun to think about. The world be a hell of a lot better if the Duggers and their ilk would stop procreating.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 4 users Like Nurse's post