Utterly Disgusting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2015, 06:02 AM
RE: Utterly Disgusting
(05-05-2015 09:19 PM)jennybee Wrote:  And atheists are the ones who are immoral, awful people...

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/03/24/...34164.html

Why is it disgusting, because of the example he used was too vivid and violent? Or because you believe he was endorsing Atheists being murdered and raped?

He used a violent example to argue against a common atheists belief in moral relativism.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2015, 06:26 AM
What do you expect from someone who makes a living being a moronic hillbilly???

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
06-05-2015, 06:38 AM
(06-05-2015 06:02 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(05-05-2015 09:19 PM)jennybee Wrote:  And atheists are the ones who are immoral, awful people...

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/03/24/...34164.html

Why is it disgusting, because of the example he used was too vivid and violent? Or because you believe he was endorsing Atheists being murdered and raped?

He used a violent example to argue against a common atheists belief in moral relativism.

One can illustrate the complexities of moral relativism without being a total douchebag. As a public figure, it's a responsibility he's shirking.

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-05-2015, 07:05 AM
(06-05-2015 06:38 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  One can illustrate the complexities of moral relativism without being a total douchebag. As a public figure, it's a responsibility he's shirking.

I don't think that's the case. I find that in order see that moral relativism is a sham, strong examples are needed.

I have to make my examples stronger and stronger, to get Stevel to acknowledge that there is right and wrong, and it's not just matter of his likes and dislikes. And that's because folks like him are more committed to this belief, like the victim in the Duck Dynasty guy's example.
06-05-2015, 07:07 AM
(06-05-2015 06:38 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  One can illustrate the complexities of moral relativism without being a total douchebag.

How is he douche bag, because you feel he erected one big strawman?
06-05-2015, 07:18 AM
(06-05-2015 07:05 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(06-05-2015 06:38 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  One can illustrate the complexities of moral relativism without being a total douchebag. As a public figure, it's a responsibility he's shirking.

I don't think that's the case. I find that in order see that moral relativism is a sham, strong examples are needed.

I have to make my examples stronger and stronger, to get Stevel to acknowledge that there is right and wrong, and it's not just matter of his likes and dislikes. And that's because folks like him are more committed to this belief, like the victim in the Duck Dynasty guy's example.

The sham is absolute morality. All examples are localized. The instinct towards moral absolutism is evolutionarily hard-wired, it's not a thing in itself. I can understand the emotional need to project a set of conditionals towards the general populous, especially in terms of societal regulation, however absolutism is untenable. That too is evolutionary.

Oh, and he's a douchebag because he's a douchebag. The localized example need not be graphically expressed.

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like houseofcantor's post
06-05-2015, 07:25 AM
(06-05-2015 12:03 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Yabut. Eat Tofu? That's utterly disgusting. Tongue

HuffPost is, well, HuffPost. Undecided

If u marinate it well it's not so bad lol
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
06-05-2015, 07:28 AM
(06-05-2015 07:18 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  The sham is absolute morality.

And moral relativism is not?

You should perhaps tell that to Stevel, who once was a poor moral relativist, until some believers goaded him like the Duck Dynasty guy, and he was forced to abandoned this too, and now he's broken, and doesn't believe in morality at all, and can't bring himself to use words like "right" or "wrong" anymore.

Believers like the Duck Dynasty guy, see the line between moral realism, and stevel's predicament as a thin one, once moral realism is dismissed as a sham.
06-05-2015, 07:28 AM
(06-05-2015 01:33 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  I always find it funny, cause people jackasses who say things that this would probably be the first people to be targeted by atheists if we genuinely had no concept of right and wrong and felt we could do whatever we wanted.

What's scary to me is that it sounds like "god" is keeping him from doing all these things himself.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
06-05-2015, 07:29 AM
(06-05-2015 02:19 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  I hadn't heard something so idiotic and disgusting in a long time. Sheer idiocy of his speech leave me stunned. No god=no morality is idiotic concept, but then what one could expect from one capable of uttering such rubbish.

I like your new avatar--totally suits you lol