Utterly Disgusting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2015, 08:35 AM
RE: Utterly Disgusting
(06-05-2015 08:26 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(06-05-2015 08:24 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Oh and PS, I'm not defending the idiot. As aforementioned, it was poorly contrived and poorly executed.

I don't know... for me, it's just hard to get offended by stupid.

To each his own, I suppose.

I'm not really offended because u r right--he's an idiot. It's just the level of hate and on a public platform--it's like why??

Cause he can, cause he believe in what he say (?) and feel that he should say shit like this, for money maybe, cause he like making public cry from hearing such drivel?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2015, 09:06 AM
(06-05-2015 06:02 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(05-05-2015 09:19 PM)jennybee Wrote:  And atheists are the ones who are immoral, awful people...

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/03/24/...34164.html

Why is it disgusting, because of the example he used was too vivid and violent? Or because you believe he was endorsing Atheists being murdered and raped?

The fact that his fantasy, and that's what it is, is so vivid is very revealing. It reveals a mind that feels terribly threatened by dissentient people, threatened to the extent that he fantasizes about murdering the wives of the men who don't agree with him, and emasculating them, as he gloats about the rightness of his position.

Additionally, if he must needs employ such shock value in order to make his point, doesn't that reveal a weak point which cannot stand on its own? At the very least, his vignette shows him to be unable to conduct rational discourse. That disqualifies him for anything more highbrow than mocking his hilljack stupidity.

(06-05-2015 06:02 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  He used a violent example to argue against a common atheists belief in moral relativism.

Which is extremely stupid, because Christianity is premised on moral relativity. After all, genocide when conducted by man is evil; genocide when commanded or conducted by the Christian god is morally acceptable.
[+] 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
06-05-2015, 09:14 AM
(06-05-2015 08:07 AM)Eva Wrote:  I don't think he justifies any further attention, education maybe but attention no.

Pearls, swine, etc etc.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
06-05-2015, 09:16 AM
(06-05-2015 08:32 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(06-05-2015 08:08 AM)jennybee Wrote:  If the murderer is the possessed believer and the atheist family is just going about their day--who is it that does not know right from wrong?

In my view the murderer does know right and wrong, but knowing this doesn't equate to doing what is right. The murder is just a representation of evil, he has no particular relationship to any person, or religion or creed, a mythical figure in the vain of Cormac McCarthy villain, like Anton Chigurh, if Cormac McCarthy were a hick. He's only a believer in the sense that the Devil is a believer.

His only purpose, is to bring to light the absurdity of not believing in right and wrong, in seeing right and wrong as a matter of likes and dislikes. To highlight there is something truly wrong here, which his victim has to confront and acknowledge against his own idealogical commitments, and masquerading.

Yeah, it kind of reminded me of A Good Man is Hard to Find by Flannery O'Connor. But I don't think Phil was going for a literary narrative arc in his spiel, imo.
06-05-2015, 09:28 AM
Once again...

hillbilly =/= Southern US
hillbilly = Applalchia US

redneck = Southern US

cowboy/Texan = Texas, US

Calling Phil a hillbilly (or a derivative) is like calling The Situation a Surfer Dude.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
06-05-2015, 09:32 AM
(06-05-2015 09:16 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(06-05-2015 08:32 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  In my view the murderer does know right and wrong, but knowing this doesn't equate to doing what is right. The murder is just a representation of evil, he has no particular relationship to any person, or religion or creed, a mythical figure in the vain of Cormac McCarthy villain, like Anton Chigurh, if Cormac McCarthy were a hick. He's only a believer in the sense that the Devil is a believer.

His only purpose, is to bring to light the absurdity of not believing in right and wrong, in seeing right and wrong as a matter of likes and dislikes. To highlight there is something truly wrong here, which his victim has to confront and acknowledge against his own idealogical commitments, and masquerading.

Yeah, it kind of reminded me of A Good Man is Hard to Find by Flannery O'Connor. But I don't think Phil was going for a literary narrative arc in his spiel, imo.
just some nonsensical ramblings devoid of anything relevant. How anyone can arrive at something relevant beyond "hmm... I don't think he knows what an atheist is" or "gross phil, now I can't enjoy my breakfast" is beyond me.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
06-05-2015, 09:59 AM
(06-05-2015 09:06 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  The fact that his fantasy, and that's what it is, is so vivid is very revealing. It reveals a mind that feels terribly threatened by dissentient people, threatened to the extent that he fantasizes about murdering the wives of the men who don't agree with him, and emasculating them, as he gloats about the rightness of his position.

Nah, not really, all it reveals is the queasiness of certain liberal minded sensibilities to the very thought of violence, even allegorically, or for narrative purposes. It's like the folks offended by the game Mortal Kombat.

It's sort like certain conservative sensibilities in relationship to sex and nudity.

Quote: Additionally, if he must needs employ such shock value in order to make his point, doesn't that reveal a weak point which cannot stand on its own?

No, it just makes the point easier to demonstrate.

Quote:Christianity is premised on moral relativity.

Said, (hardly) no Christian ever.
[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post
06-05-2015, 10:01 AM
(06-05-2015 08:18 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  In fact... let's tailor this scenario for me, and see how offended you are. Hopefully, you're equally offended.

"I'll make a bet with you. Two guys break into a Calvinist's home. He has a little Calvinist wife and two little Calvinist daughters. Two guys break into his home and tie him up in a chair and gag him. And then they take his two daughters in front of him and rape both of them and then shoot them and they take his wife and then decapitate her head off in front of him. And then they can look at him and say, 'Isn't it great that I don’t have to worry about being judged? Isn't it great that there's nothing wrong with this? God made me do it all, isn't that right, dude?'
Then you take a sharp knife and take his manhood and hold it in front of him and say, 'Wouldn't it be something if this [sic] was something wrong with this? But you’re the one who says there is no free will, there’s no right, there’s no wrong, so we’re just doing what God makes us do. We're sick in the head, have a nice day.'
If it happened to them, they probably would say, 'Something about this just ain't right.'"

So how offended are you for all the Calvinists out there?

I think the difference is that Calvinists aren't, at least in my admittedly limited experience with them, typically criticized as having no basis for morality and for wanting to live a totally hedonistic lifestyle regardless of the consequences. Atheists are often portrayed as immoral monsters and Robertson is playing on that stereotype. It is the perpetuation of the ignorant stereotype that I find irritating.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
06-05-2015, 10:03 AM
(06-05-2015 09:28 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Once again...

redneck = Southern US

cowboy/Texan = Texas, US

Calling Phil a hillbilly (or a derivative) is like calling The Situation a Surfer Dude.

Hick?
06-05-2015, 10:20 AM
(06-05-2015 10:03 AM)pablo Wrote:  
(06-05-2015 09:28 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Once again...

redneck = Southern US

cowboy/Texan = Texas, US

Hick?

That's more of a mashup of Southern US and Texas. It can be used comfortably and interchangeably in most cases.

It's more a rural redneck... hard to explain. It fits well with Mississipians and Southern Louisianians.

The Robertson's are Northern LA, and fit firmly within the realm of a "redneck". "Hick" could be used, but that's more along the lines of Southern LA and MS.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]