Utterly Disgusting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2015, 10:23 AM
RE: Utterly Disgusting
(06-05-2015 10:20 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(06-05-2015 10:03 AM)pablo Wrote:  Hick?

That's more of a mashup of Southern US and Texas. It can be used comfortably and interchangeably in most cases.

It's more a rural redneck... hard to explain. It fits well with Mississipians and Southern Louisianians.

The Robertson's are Northern LA, and fit firmly within the realm of a "redneck". "Hick" could be used, but that's more along the lines of Southern LA and MS.

How about Uneducated Bigot?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2015, 10:41 AM
(06-05-2015 09:59 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Nah, not really, all it reveals is the queasiness of certain liberal minded sensibilities to the very thought of violence, even allegorically, or for narrative purposes. It's like the folks offended by the game Mortal Kombat.

It's sort like certain conservative sensibilities in relationship to sex and nudity.

Not at all, in my case, thanks.

(06-05-2015 09:59 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
Quote: Additionally, if he must needs employ such shock value in order to make his point, doesn't that reveal a weak point which cannot stand on its own?

No, it just makes the point easier to demonstrate.

Actually, it detracts from it, as it has people focused on grisly imagery, rather than the point he was trying to make.

(06-05-2015 09:59 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
Quote:Christianity is premised on moral relativity.

Said, (hardly) no Christian ever.

Of course not. Expecting honest appraisal of his own faith from a Christian is a fool's quest, though.
06-05-2015, 10:48 AM
(06-05-2015 08:32 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(06-05-2015 08:08 AM)jennybee Wrote:  If the murderer is the possessed believer and the atheist family is just going about their day--who is it that does not know right from wrong?

In my view the murderer does know right and wrong, but knowing this doesn't equate to doing what is right. The murder is just a representation of evil, he has no particular relationship to any person, or religion or creed, a mythical figure in the vain of Cormac McCarthy villain, like Anton Chigurh, if Cormac McCarthy were a hick. He's only a believer in the sense that the Devil is a believer.

His only purpose, is to bring to light the absurdity of not believing in right and wrong, in seeing right and wrong as a matter of likes and dislikes. To highlight there is something truly wrong here, which his victim has to confront and acknowledge against his own idealogical commitments, and masquerading.

If you honest believe that is the case, you've severely missed the ideas of No Country For Old Men or other McCarthy characters.

That's sadder than anything else out of your mind. Of course you would be defending this statement by the guy though as it's directly touching on your frequent bothered state by perceived boxes of either loose relativist or absolute.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
06-05-2015, 01:05 PM
(06-05-2015 10:01 AM)unfogged Wrote:  I think the difference is that Calvinists aren't, at least in my admittedly limited experience with them, typically criticized as having no basis for morality and for wanting to live a totally hedonistic lifestyle regardless of the consequences. Atheists are often portrayed as immoral monsters and Robertson is playing on that stereotype. It is the perpetuation of the ignorant stereotype that I find irritating.

No, but we are labeled as laissez faire and do not take any responsibility for immoral happenings and/or accused of having no morality because the inability to take responsibility. This also includes an accusation that we condone immoral behavior.

I've been attacked and accused of this several times on TTA by theists and atheists alike.

My point is that the argument is so stupid it's not worth arguing the accusing party. It's like getting into an argument with my 5 year old because he called me a chicken-head-butt-poop and meant in it in the literal sense. I mean... am I really going to try and argue with him that I'm not a big chicken head butt poop thing? No, of course not. It's a ridiculous premise and my son's mind can't process the actuality of what his literal words are saying.

Such is the case with the likes of Phil and others... no point in arguing stupid.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
06-05-2015, 01:23 PM
Can you prove you're not a chickenhead buttpoop?
06-05-2015, 01:30 PM
(06-05-2015 01:23 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Can you prove you're not a chickenhead buttpoop?

No. Sadly, I cannot.

It's mostly true.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
06-05-2015, 01:33 PM
(06-05-2015 01:05 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Such is the case with the likes of Phil and others... no point in arguing stupid.

There's no point arguing with stupid; there can be a point to arguing against stupid.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
06-05-2015, 01:46 PM
The guy is a gobshite of the highest order. I find his drivel more sad than disgusting and I just laugh it off. He comes across as a brainless twat. What puzzles me is that people actually watch Fuck Dynasty,

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post
06-05-2015, 01:51 PM
(06-05-2015 01:46 PM)Marozz Wrote:  The guy is a gobshite of the highest order. I find his drivel more sad than disgusting and I just laugh it off. He comes across as a brainless twat. What puzzles me is that people actually watch Fuck Dynasty,

I agree, btw my new favorite word is gobshite Thumbsup

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
06-05-2015, 05:54 PM
(06-05-2015 01:05 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  It's like getting into an argument with my 5 year old because he called me a chicken-head-butt-poop and meant in it in the literal sense.

Your son seems quite astute.

#sigh