Utterly Disgusting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2015, 07:01 PM
RE: Utterly Disgusting
(06-05-2015 10:41 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Actually, it detracts from it, as it has people focused on grisly imagery, rather than the point he was trying to make.

Except of course to his audience.

In reality there are plenty of theists who make the same point, free of the violent imagery, etc...

If the Duck Dynasty guy made his point in similar way, people would just wrongly accuse him of claiming that atheism leads to people stealing, and raping everybody. Or that atheist can't be moral.

The point is always ignored, in both instances.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post
06-05-2015, 07:11 PM
(06-05-2015 07:01 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(06-05-2015 10:41 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Actually, it detracts from it, as it has people focused on grisly imagery, rather than the point he was trying to make.

In reality there are plenty of theists who make the same point, free of the violent imagery, etc...

If the Duck Dynasty guy made his point in similar way, people would just wrongly accuse him of claiming that atheism leads to people stealing, and raping everybody. Or that atheist can't be moral.

And people of philosophical backgrounds laugh at it. He should of learned in the college he went to in basic philosophy how juvenile argument is which is why it's not something consistently brought up in discussion of a ethical/moral philosophy discussion on the subject of relativism.

What's his audience? Where was this even said or written? You've had the discussion countless times and are never ignored about it on here. It's a point people think is a "moral Problem" because you're judging people but it is relative but it's based on social impact. It's clear how often on here you don't grasp or dismiss how beings are massively controlled by chemicals and social surroundings.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
06-05-2015, 08:01 PM
(06-05-2015 07:01 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  

Actually, when the point is made absent the gruesome imagery, it is rebutted handily. I could link you to plenty of threads on the topic, if you don't believe me; I could link you to in-depth rebuttals from well-known atheists, and eviscerating one-line replies from unknowns.

The point which you're desperately trying to avoid is one I've already made once: Christianity is itself based on moral relativism. Acts of the Christian god -- say, killing every human being who ever lived for the failings of the first two -- are considered good; but were a human to practice collective guilt and punishment, we would rightly deem that human to be evil. I could go on, with many, many other examples which demonstrate that in the Christian mind, two identical acts have different moral value depending on context.

You can avoid that conundrum all you want, in your own mind. But when you simply try to elide the point with a vapid one-liner in this thread, don't think for a moment I've forgotten what I've written; and more to the point, don't think for a moment I won't point out your sloppy thinking and dishonest argumentation.

Now, you can accept my point, you can rebut my point, or you can set up another post from me where I point out your dodginess. The choice is yours.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
06-05-2015, 08:07 PM
(06-05-2015 08:01 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(06-05-2015 07:01 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Except of course to his audience.

Actually, when the point is made absent the gruesome imagery, it is rebutted handily. I could link you to plenty of threads on the topic, if you don't believe me; I could link you to in-depth rebuttals from well-known atheists, and eviscerating one-line replies from unknowns.

The point which you're desperately trying to avoid is one I've already made once: Christianity is itself based on moral relativism. Acts of the Christian god -- say, killing every human being who ever lived for the failings of the first two -- are considered good; but were a human to practice collective guilt and punishment, we would rightly deem that human to be evil. I could go on, with many, many other examples which demonstrate that in the Christian mind, two identical acts have different moral value depending on context.

You can avoid that conundrum all you want, in your own mind. But when you simply try to elide the point with a vapid one-liner in this thread, don't think for a moment I've forgotten what I've written; and more to the point, don't think for a moment I won't point out your sloppy thinking and dishonest argumentation.

Now, you can accept my point, you can rebut my point, or you can set up another post from me where I point out your dodginess. The choice is yours.

Good points..I had to read that twice as I am on my second glass of wine lol (lightweight)

I still have not heard a very good argument from christians as to how they can equate their god to any sort of morality when he is such a monster in the bible.
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
06-05-2015, 08:33 PM
(06-05-2015 08:18 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  In fact... let's tailor this scenario for me, and see how offended you are. Hopefully, you're equally offended.

"I'll make a bet with you. Two guys break into a Calvinist's home. He has a little Calvinist wife and two little Calvinist daughters. Two guys break into his home and tie him up in a chair and gag him. And then they take his two daughters in front of him and rape both of them and then shoot them and they take his wife and then decapitate her head off in front of him. And then they can look at him and say, 'Isn't it great that I don’t have to worry about being judged? Isn't it great that there's nothing wrong with this? God made me do it all, isn't that right, dude?'
Then you take a sharp knife and take his manhood and hold it in front of him and say, 'Wouldn't it be something if this [sic] was something wrong with this? But you’re the one who says there is no free will, there’s no right, there’s no wrong, so we’re just doing what God makes us do. We're sick in the head, have a nice day.'
If it happened to them, they probably would say, 'Something about this just ain't right.'"

So how offended are you for all the Calvinists out there?

I find this equally offensive. Doesn't matter what names you insert, the actions are offensive.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
06-05-2015, 11:15 PM
(06-05-2015 08:07 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(06-05-2015 08:01 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Actually, when the point is made absent the gruesome imagery, it is rebutted handily. I could link you to plenty of threads on the topic, if you don't believe me; I could link you to in-depth rebuttals from well-known atheists, and eviscerating one-line replies from unknowns.

Good points..I had to read that twice as I am on my second glass of wine lol (lightweight)

I still have not heard a very good argument from christians as to how they can equate their god to any sort of morality when he is such a monster in the bible.

You won't hear one, there is no good argument for this. God is good cause he is god in which they believe and therefore must be good. Bible has no bearing on this, idea of god goodnes precedes reading of said book and is so strong that even multiple cruel acts of god don't change person opinion about him.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
06-05-2015, 11:39 PM
The fact that Christians skirt shit like the baby-bashing verses, or the fact that a world-wide flood sparing only seven human amounts to catastrophic mass-murder clearly indicates that their own internal morals revolt at those acts, but they must pay lip service to their superficial faith, so they dance around the topic by pretending those verses aren't important.

But they are. They worship an evil god, one who delights in the murder of humans simply because they don't kneel to him. If a man were to behave that way, we would tool up and declare war, sacrificing millions of lives to remove the cancer from among us, as we did Hitler.

But Christians worship the guy who invented the eternal concentration camp. They worship him.
[+] 5 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
06-05-2015, 11:53 PM
(06-05-2015 11:39 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  But Christians worship the guy who invented the eternal concentration camp. They worship him.

Ah, he's just misunderstood. Angel

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
07-05-2015, 04:56 AM
(06-05-2015 11:39 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  The fact that Christians skirt shit like the baby-bashing verses, or the fact that a world-wide flood sparing only seven human amounts to catastrophic mass-murder clearly indicates that their own internal morals revolt at those acts, but they must pay lip service to their superficial faith, so they dance around the topic by pretending those verses aren't important.

But they are. They worship an evil god, one who delights in the murder of humans simply because they don't kneel to him. If a man were to behave that way, we would tool up and declare war, sacrificing millions of lives to remove the cancer from among us, as we did Hitler.

But Christians worship the guy who invented the eternal concentration camp. They worship him.

Part of the problem is that the churches soft-pedal many of the passages or only mention part of the passage (and take out the horrific parts). Most christians I know were taught not to question--and don't. For the ones who do know of the horrific passages, they all have the same ready made responses handed down to them from the church designed to massage the bad parts out of the Bible (ex. God gave the people he destroyed numerous opportunities to repent before he destroyed them...). Plus, they pick and choose which passages to take literally and which passages not to.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
07-05-2015, 05:11 AM
(06-05-2015 07:47 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(06-05-2015 06:26 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  What do you expect from someone who makes a living being a moronic hillbilly???

*redneck

The only "Hills" in Louisiana are my family.

Whatever... I think you got the drift that I wasn't calling him a Nobel Laureate..

I'd call him a douchebag -- but that's not really accurate - as a douchebag can perform a vital function.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.