VBS Wars - Should I Start One?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-07-2011, 10:07 AM
RE: VBS Wars - Should I Start One?
Does she know why having the earth be 6,000 years old is even important to her? Not that it would help... but with my wife I always ask why any particular belief is important. Most of the time she has no idea.... in which case I then ask why are we allowing people to teach our child information that she knows nothing about. This keeps the discussion in her court and I never actually say what I think about said belief thus keeping her from getting defensive. This does not always work... sometimes she looks up what she is supposed to think about a belief and of course goes with it.

“We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.” Orson Welles
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-07-2011, 10:18 AM
(19-07-2011 10:07 AM)myst32 Wrote:  Does she know why having the earth be 6,000 years old is even important to her? Not that it would help... but with my wife I always ask why any particular belief is important. Most of the time she has no idea.... in which case I then ask why are we allowing people to teach our child information that she knows nothing about. This keeps the discussion in her court and I never actually say what I think about said belief thus keeping her from getting defensive. This does not always work... sometimes she looks up what she is supposed to think about a belief and of course goes with it.

I had this exact exchange almost verbatim. She just shuts down. I think she thinks every question I have is some sort of trap.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
19-07-2011, 01:37 PM
Try this...

“We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.” Orson Welles
19-07-2011, 03:30 PM
I wish you luck, my first marriage ended because my ex couldn't stand my being an atheist even though she knew I was one when we got married. I think she originally married me out of rebellion against her incredibly religious mother, but after a while she went back to church and made more unreasonable demands by the day.

I had no problem letting her take our kids to church. But she wanted me to tell my own kids that I was wrong and even lie and say I actually believed in god when I didn't. When I refused. She left. I think that marriage between Christians (especially fundamentalists) and atheists are doomed. If they love you they have to try an save you from eternity in hell, there is no way around it. If you don't cooperate, they can't stand the grief of knowing you are lost.

“There is no sin except stupidity.” Oscar Wilde
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-07-2011, 07:29 PM
(19-07-2011 03:30 PM)nontheocrat Wrote:  I wish you luck, my first marriage ended because my ex couldn't stand my being an atheist even though she knew I was one when we got married.

Interesting. I married a devout Catholic in a Catholic Church 25 years ago even though not only she and her family knew I was an atheist, so did the Priest who married us. All I had to do was agree to not influence their Catholic upbringing. No problem. I didn't. All 4 of my children turned out to be fine young atheists. And now so is my wife. Strange how the worm turns.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
20-07-2011, 08:21 AM (This post was last modified: 20-07-2011 08:24 AM by myst32.)