VFX is back

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-12-2010, 05:44 PM (This post was last modified: 23-12-2010 05:47 PM by UnderTheMicroscope.)
RE: VFX is back
I'm gonna argue that science only deals in quantity, and it is completely blind to quality <things of value> - VFX

a few minutes later he presents the argue that science is limited because it can't tell him he painted a painting.

however he neglects to mention(or simply doesn't know) studying something for answers isn't about pointing a metaphorical spotlight on one location and only figuring out whats going on inside that 1 small area.
even if there was no trace of him on the painting we could use other methods to figure it out. the brand of paint used, where the paper was sold and maybe the date it was sold, maybe even witnesses or questions answered by VFX himself.

Another creatard portraying the world as black and white... sigh >.>"

EDIT:

he goes on to say that because we can give abstract meaning to objects science is thus limited and discovering the origin and purpose of that abstract meaning.
Which is correct, to some degree.

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-12-2010, 08:56 PM
(23-12-2010 05:44 PM)UnderTheMicroscope Wrote:  he goes on to say that because we can give abstract meaning to objects science is thus limited and discovering the origin and purpose of that abstract meaning.

As far as I can tell, creating an abstract meaning is deviating from the actual meaning, so I don't see how that statement can be correct to any degree.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
23-12-2010, 09:01 PM
(23-12-2010 08:56 PM)No J. Wrote:  
(23-12-2010 05:44 PM)UnderTheMicroscope Wrote:  he goes on to say that because we can give abstract meaning to objects science is thus limited and discovering the origin and purpose of that abstract meaning.

As far as I can tell, creating an abstract meaning is deviating from the actual meaning, so I don't see how that statement can be correct to any degree.

take his example
a painting of a flower sitting on a spider web, we know it is a depiction of a spider web with a flower, but he gives it a meaning of (if I recall correctly) the flower representing him "blossoming" and being true to himself and the webbing representing him being ensnared in some difficult situation, or some such shit.
So can science explain that same thought from studying the painting itself? No, though that may be debatable, so the point he makes is correct.
however as I said before when studying something one wouldn't be limiting where/what you search to the painting itself, especially when trying to understand what it means.

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

23-12-2010, 09:35 PM
(23-12-2010 09:01 PM)UnderTheMicroscope Wrote:  So can science explain that same thought from studying the painting itself? No, though that may be debatable, so the point he makes is correct.

Psychology is the science would explain that thought. Explaining it by using the painting and not the human mind is like studing aerodynamics works by testing it in a vaccuum. It is missing the most important part of the puzzle. Without the human mind, nothing is debatable. At least not on this planet. So I still don't agree with his point.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
24-12-2010, 06:25 AM
(23-12-2010 09:35 PM)No J. Wrote:  Psychology is the science would explain that thought. Explaining it by using the painting and not the human mind is like studing aerodynamics works by testing it in a vaccuum.

which is rewording my first point.

Either way VFX is back, and to misquote Mr.NewVegas. Less for christians, more for the fandom.

24-12-2010, 07:54 AM
Wow , this thread took off.
Yeah Norse, saw almost all of Tf00t's vids - great stuff.